Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Rescues > Animals in Need

Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM

MouseGuy is on a distinguished road

Deer MIce Looking For New Home

Hello, Fellow Mice Lovers:
First time posting. I sure hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I apologize if it isn't.
I'm from Massachusetts. Not too far from Boston. I became a mouse lover a few years ago. I have several pet deer mice. Several of them will take food from my hand, but, tend to be shy and not easy at all to handle. I actually started out with just two young deer mice. I thought they were both males. Turns out one was a female. I ended up with a few unexpected litters before I separated the mice by sex. My mice population has varied over the last couple years. At the most, I think I had twenty-five mice.
I gave 12 mice to a woman who also shares my love of mice, and had recently lost several of hers from old age during the last several months. This was to make my numbers easier to manage. I hated letting them go, but it was really the practical thing to do. I still miss them very much.
Unfortunately, as much as she loves them, the woman who had my 12 mice is now moving from her home into an apartment complex in just a few weeks. There are no pets allowed at her new place. She has to give up the mice she took from me. She has not found a new home for them, and I am not sure it would be wise to add any more mice to my current number. That would bring my total from 15 mice up to 27! That's too big a number to handle. It would mean at least 2 more cages to clean and feed. Part of me really wants them back, but the other part of me can see me starring on that show Hoarders before too long. It's just too much for me I'm afraid. I'm wondering if anyone knows a possible caring home for these cute little guys. Any thoughts, or suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 PM

catfreak is on a distinguished road
oh man... i would love to take them, but i live in idaho. if only there was any way you could get them over here...
Saffy Sweet Pea Zippy Mandy Pepper + 6 babies
R.I.P. Dezzie, Peaches, Puff, Pumpkin, Aurora and Ed
Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks for a reply, catfreak! Idaho, huh? I wish you were closer. You seem to have lots of pets already. You must be a real animal lover.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:01 PM

DobermanX is on a distinguished road
Red face

Love to buy deer mice from you :)

Hey mouse guy

Im Stephanie from california
I was wondering if you still had any deer mice for adoption or for sale
and if so if it was possible for me to get a pair and have them shipped to ca, all expences paid by me.

Let me know

My cat recently brought me a deer mouse and I just totally fell in love, then my mistake was i got her a friend from petco and he just ended up eating her fur and eneded up killing her
Im still very sad about it and Id love to have a pair of deer mice for pets

thank you for your time

Stephanie
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi, Stephanie (DobermanX):
Very sorry, but we no longer have any of the deer mice that were looking for a good home. I have a few deer mice that I raised from pups that I just couldn't part with that I am keeping as my pets. It's very easy to get attached to mice once you get to know them.
Not really sure how well a deer mouse would make the trip by plane to California, anyway. It's kind of a big trip for a mouse to make.
I'm really sorry that your deer mouse killed the pet store mouse. When my friend had mice, she used to get mice from the pet store as companions for her deer mice, and they usually got along very well. I also know of other people on youtube who have kept deer mice with domestic mice, and they got along fine. Some mice do get along better than other mice. It would be nice if your mouse had a companion. Mice can get lonely. Do you know much about mice care? Are you making sure the mouse gets the right foods, water, regular exercise, shelter, and a comfortable clean cage to live in?
I know some stuff about mice, but there are people online that might be able to give you some better answers than I could.
Try Bucky at the mouse ranch site for starters. I can't send you the link on this forum, unfortunately.
I hope that is helpful! I wish you and your mouse the best!

Last edited by MouseGuy; 11-04-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Wink

mousekidoodles

Hey mouse guy!!

aww do your mice ever have babies???
my petco mouse killed my deer mouse so the deer mouse is dead
i got her the petco mouse because she escaped a couple times and some how made it from under my bathroom sink cabinets to the dish washer area in the kitchen!! lol
my cat helped me out with catching her once and then i waited for her to come out from behind the dish washer and grabbed her with my hand.... oh i loved her so much I named her trumpets mouskidoodles because her ears were like little trumpets. the petco mouse i named brandon flowers because my husband and i love the killers and well he ended up being a killer that for sure!! lol
I still have brandon he is in a 10 gallon glass tararium with a locking wire top, it was perfect for the both of them but brandon just started chewing trumpets fur on her head and then the day she died i realized he chewed up her rear end (she was bleeding from the booty )
anyways Thats how I fell in love with trumpets the deer mouse, i used to love to watch her before i went to bed, just her being a mouse and so cute, sometimes i would hold her wile in bed and just kiss her head talk to her and try to tame her, lol even once i fell asleep and she had taken off to under my dresser, thank god i was able to catch her that night.
Still i miss her so much, thats why i really really am just looking over the whole internet trying to find someone who can sell me a pair.
yes i did find bucky and i wrote to him!! i hope someone is able to ship out a pair of mice for me lol
do you have a youtube or anything with your mice on it??
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Oh, the PETCO mouse killed the deer mouse? Was the deer mouse a very young mouse?
And here I thought you were trying to get a deer mouse as a companion for another deer mouse.
As far as shipping a deer mouse by plane, I don't think that would be a good idea. Not even totally sure if it's legal to transport an exotic mouse from one state to another. There are certain laws regarding exotic animals. It may depend on the specific state.
Why not just get another mouse at PETCO as a companion for Brandon? There would probably be less problems that way, but I would monitor them carefully for the first several hours after introducing them. I also wouldn't introduce them until immediately after the mouse cage has been thoroughly cleaned to make the cage a more neutral meeting place and help avoid Brandon from getting territorial.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Red face

mousie's

Brandon actually got bitten the first time i put him in the tank with her but then after a wile they were good... then after weeks went by every time i would handle her and then put her back in brandon would grab her and try to mount her and compulsively over clean her and he ended up chewing a big patch of fur off her head so i separated them for a night or two and i felt bad because i didnt want her to have separation anxiety so i put her back in and as soon as she went back in brandon did the same thing and by the next afternoon when i went to handle her she just felt heavy and half dead very lethargic and i realized her bottom was bleeding and by about 2am or so she died in my hand, i kissed her and told her how much we loved her and tried cpr but it didnt help, it still gets me very emotional remembering the end.
Brandon is just fine by himself, i dont trust him with any other friends anymore but i handle him everyday and my kids love him too we bring him out alot but you know what he does stink way more then the little deer mouse ever did lol
brandon the killer from the killers hahaha
Im hoping my cat brings me another live mouse but who knows my cat actually did bring me the male deer mouse i was wanting for trumpets but sadly she just left me half an abdomen leg and hollowed out head lol poor guy
my cat has also brought me like 5 lizards that i keep as pets/ kitchen decoration
I really wanted to have the deer mice as the main center peice by my kitchen window and sink (thats where the lizards are)
I also have chinchillas and 2 dogs
The little deer mouse trumpets gave me such happiness and i felt so peaceful when it was my "mousie time" at night before bed after the kids were asleep and i was about to go to sleep lol
anyways
I did post a video of my trumpets on youtube, its the only video i have of her
if you cant see the link my name on youtube is Kittykitten420 if you would like to see her
or facebook stephanie uribe i have pictures too
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM

youtu.be/RxLppqA2dLU
Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 PM

I saw your video on youtube. Very cute mouse. Nice, big ears! Too bad he was killed by the other mouse. Mice behavior can be unpredictable like that.
I couldn't find you on facebook. Too many people with the same name to go through.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM

ohh sorry its Stephanie Delgado (my maiden name) lol sorry i forgot!
facebook.com/profile.php?id=1065147421
Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Couldn't find you. That's okay. I saw the video anyway. Trumpets did have big ears. Too bad she and Brandon didn't get along.
Here are some videos you will appreciate:
"Mouse Party." (youtube.comwatch?v=BGY30_r_y1c)
and "Wild deer mice on a wheel" (youtube.com/watch?v=MPRSA-7xOFc&feature=player_embedded)

Having a deer mouse can get complicated. Some do better in captivity than others do. Most would probably prefer living in the wild. I wish you success with your mouse.

Last edited by MouseGuy; 11-05-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Oh thank you so much mouse guy!!
If you ever have any extra deer mice one day keep me in mind!

ttyl

Stephanie
Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 PM

here is my e-mail address just in case
scdelgado(at) aol . com

it wont let me post it but you get what i mean lol

and i changed my profile pic on facebook to a pic of trumpets in my hand too!!

Last edited by DobermanX; 11-05-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM

SammyD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobermanX View Post
Oh thank you so much mouse guy!!
If you ever have any extra deer mice one day keep me in mind!

Me Too!!!
-M