Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Reptile & Amphibian Discussion > Snakes

Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

GerbilCrazy is on a distinguished road

Snakes that don't eat mice?

I want to get a snake but I don't think I would be able to feed it mice. There are snakes that don't eat mice, I think but I'm not sure what kinds. I was told ribbon snakes only eat crickets, anyone know any other snakes that dont eat mice? and does anyone have any as a pet? pics and or info would be great
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

candyraver will become famous soon enoughcandyraver will become famous soon enough
well ribbon snakes can also eat small frogs& minnows...they don't just eat crickets,but I think they'd do well on an insectivore diet.can feed them earthworms too.
Theres also the rough green snake,but that one seems to be more of a "display" then an "handling" snake.For the record,I don't over handle any reptile,they're easy to stress.
Note on the rough green,people I've known who kept them said they can be high strung.I don't have experience with them though!
You can also look into the dekays snake,they eat earthworms,slugs,etc...
*side note,they emit an odor from their scent glands until they get used to you.
garter snakes also eat fish,& worms...again also frogs& they feed on rodents too.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Ribbon snakes, garter snakes, and rough or smooth green snakes can eat things other than mice. However, they aren't really the best snakes for handling and the green snakes and ribbon snakes seem especially high-strung. Green snakes stress easily so its best to just leave them alone.

Be aware that those species are often wild-caught (which usually means parasites!). Try to locate a captive bred snake, especially if you want a green snake.

I actually had a rough green snake for about a month but the poor guy had parasites and didn't make it . I would never buy a wild-caught one again unless I knew it had been tested and treated ahead of time.

Oh, and I wouldn't just feed crickets as a staple for any of those snakes. It's important to feed a varied diet with those types of snakes. So if you had a ribbon snake, you might feed crickets, earthworms, fish, etc. instead of just one prey animal.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM

candyraver will become famous soon enoughcandyraver will become famous soon enough
Great advice,sasami.It's important to feed a variety to all animals .
That's just as important with reptiles as any other pet.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

ok so insecatvor diet crickets, would meal worms be ok? anything need to be dusted with calcium?? just bugs in general i think that might work
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
Personally I love the Thamnophis animals.
They prefer fish. You can feed both dead and alive.
If you want a snake you need to feed insets, find as many as possible, so you can vary the food.
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...Oniscidea.html I don't know what these are called in english, but they have a lot of calcium.
Cockroaches, grashoppers, melarworms, earthworms, cricets and so on, are all good food subjects.
Just remember, that feeding animals you buy directly from petstores are very low in nutrience (sp?), so it's a good ide to let them get some good food a for a couple of days, before they are used.
"Good load" might be a thing to look up.

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerbilCrazy View Post
ok so insecatvor diet crickets, would meal worms be ok? anything need to be dusted with calcium?? just bugs in general i think that might work

I have no idea if it'd eat mealworms since that depends on the species. I think that softer worms like earthworms will seem more appetizing to a lot of snakes, though.

I would dust the insects with not only calcium, but maybe also something like Reptivite. Once again, it depends on the snake species and what exactly you'll be feeding.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Hello Earthling

canadiancritter will become famous soon enough
As the previous posters said there are snakes that do not or don't have to eat mice.

In my own opinion for a beginner snake get something that will eat mice (such as a corn or ball python). I haven't researched any of the above snakes but I have also never seen any for sale and I would think that they would be more sensitive and again not the best choice for a beginner.

If you really want a snake that doesn't have to eat mice look into garder snakes I have been told that they can be fed fish.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM

I have garter snakes,& they definitely CAN be fed fishies They're cute lil things too! I'd recommend them,they're not too bad to care for at all!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
In my own opinion for a beginner snake get something that will eat mice (such as a corn or ball python). I haven't researched any of the above snakes but I have also never seen any for sale and I would think that they would be more sensitive and again not the best choice for a beginner.

Yup, there's definitely a reason that they aren't seen as much. They aren't too handleable, are usually wild-caught, and aren't as hardy as many of the "beginner" snakes like corns. The thing is, a rodent is a complete meal that offers all of the needed nutrients. So with a rodent-eating snake, you don't have to worry about diet as much. With a snake that eats fish and insects, you have to make sure that the snake is getting a balanced diet.

They're certainly interesting snakes, though! They're active and fun to watch--the ribbon snakes will even go swimming .

Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello Earthling

canadiancritter will become famous soon enough
If you want something that looks like a snake but eats insects look into legless lizards also known as glass lizards.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
You can buy frozen mice that you thaw in water and then warm with a hair dryer so you don't have to kill the mouse or feed live, just make sure that where you get it from they are already eatting frozen thawed... if they aren't don't get them mice and rats can really harm a snake and it takes a strong stumach to kill them or feed live
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Yeah - if you feed frozen thawed you don't really have to watch your snake eat since you don't have to worry about the mouse fighting back. I usually recommend corn snakes or ball pythons for beginners, but both eat mice.

I use to have a garter snake and did not handle him as it was not a pleasent task to try to. He was wild caught though (by a cat, then his injuries made him unreleasable). I fed him mostly fish, earthworms, and small mice.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Herp Nerd

Ravnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of light
The main issue with most non-rodent eating snakes in pet stores, is that they're almost always wild caught. There are simply no people out there breeding things like rough green snakes, ribbon snakes, or brown snakes, and there are a very few people breeding garter snakes, but I guarantee the ones you find in pet stores are going to be wild caught. Then there are things like earth snakes, that eat ant and termite larvae, or vine snakes that eat lizards, or eastern hognose snakes that eat toads. There are even species that specialize in eating things like eels and snails. I have an African egg-eating snake, you know the kind that they show on Discovery channel swallowing a whole egg? They make great pets, but can be hard to find food for, since they're generally not big enough for chicken eggs.

Glass lizards, the North American kind, are almost never found in pet stores, and too will be wild caught. They tend to be nervous and difficult to keep. If you want to go that route, I suggest looking into the European Legless Lizards (sometimes called Sheltopusiks). I've kept them for years. They're very cool lizards, with interesting personalities. Aside from the superficial exterior of looking kind of snake-like, they don't act like any snake though. They very much act like a lizard, and their bodies are much more stiff so they don't move or coil like a snake does. They are primarily insectivorous, eating crickets, super worms, roaches... pretty much whatever you want to give them, including small mice. They need a good amount of space, I wouldn't go less than a 40 gallon sized terrarium for one.

Though, the argument of having to feed off live mice is kind of moot. Snake owners should always be feeding frozen/thawed mice. It's only safer, cheaper, and more sensible.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

ok well after hearing all of this I would definately consider f/t and after doing some research am considering a corn snake. I know I dont have enough information on any kind of snake to get one soon but just thought Id ask for advice on here since ya'll know alot about em, Like somewhere I heard you should never keep a adult ball python in anything larger then a 10 gallon with tons of cover or it will die from stress of being over exposed really dont think thats true. also what all would I need my mom didn't like the idea of having snakes or reptiles because you need a light on and heater thing on for them and she thinks it would be too expensive as far as energy bill =/.... it would be kinda cool having a pet that doesnt habitually chew on anything kept in the cage (not the reason I want to get a snake though)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1

Tags
non mouse eatting, ribbon snake