Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Reptile & Amphibian Discussion > Lizards

Old 05-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Newborn Pup

tyler is on a distinguished road

Bearded dragon or water dragon?

Hey guys what do ya think for a first time lizard,
a bearded dragon or a water dragon, their both cool butt...What do you all think???????
Old 05-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

CTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the rough
For me I decided on the Bearded Dragon because I think a desert animal is easier to care for than a tropical animal. I didn't want to deal with big messy water areas for the water dragon. Also the beardie seems much calmer than most water dragons. JMO
Old 05-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Wanted: New Title

Lizgirl will become famous soon enough
CTC said it all. Unless you live in a tropical area or are willing to spend some money to make a good set-up raising dessert lizards is easier.

Beardeds are often reccomended for first time lizards. Another lizard also being reccomended that might be of interest to you is a crested gecko. I don't know much about them, but their was a good article in one of the more recent Reptile magazines.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

Toadie78 is on a distinguished road
I just had a question why are beardies so expensive? I think they are really cool lookin too i got enough on my plate right now with my 4 FBT's but in the future i may get another lizard or amphibian.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

CTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the rough
Supply and demand. The prices for beardies the past several years have slowly been going down. It saddens me when I see a 3 inch newly hatched baby going for $29.99. This is the most delicate stage. If you get one, pay a bit extra for an older one. It is worth it!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Toadie78 is on a distinguished road
The ones at petco near my place are like 60 for a lil 3 inch one.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Playful Pup

EFExotics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
Supply and demand. The prices for beardies the past several years have slowly been going down. It saddens me when I see a 3 inch newly hatched baby going for $29.99. This is the most delicate stage. If you get one, pay a bit extra for an older one. It is worth it!

I'm sure its not at apt now, but the fact Australia doesn't allow exports probably comes into play too. They were more expensive for quite a long time because only captive bred specimens were available.

Tags
bearded dragon, captive bred, crested gecko