Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Reptile & Amphibian Discussion > Lizards

Old 10-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
I leave meal worms in my gecko cages over night. They are pretty small - I put them in a little bowl and leave them there over night. That's the only way my female gecko will eat them. But they can't get out of the bowl so they don't bother the gecko or get all over the tank.

Try different foods if you can. Hopefully you will find something he likes soon.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM

kateybabey is on a distinguished road
Thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Any updates? I hope you where able to get him to eat!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM

sydney511 is on a distinguished road
Ask these questions to your self:

-Have you been hand feeding the gecko (this means touching the food)? My leo gecko will not eat anything I touched. Try letting the food go into a cup and then dump it in the tank.

-12 years? That sounds really old. Old geckos might be more cranky, ect. I don't know the life span, but I'll check later.

-Try meal worms, although I think they have less meat, but you can try.

If you need anymore advice, ask your local pet store!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney511 View Post
If you need anymore advice, ask your local pet store!

Stay away from pet stores... 99% of them give out aweful advice that can even end up killing your reptile.
Doing your own research and asking a reputable exotic/reptile savvy vet is the best way to go.

This is an old-ish thread too.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 PM

sydney511 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Stay away from pet stores... 99% of them give out aweful advice that can even end up killing your reptile.
Doing your own research and asking a reputable exotic/reptile savvy vet is the best way to go

Mine gives pretty good advice... (example:one time I asked why the crickets I buy are dying, and the guy said what to do, and they didn't really die much again.)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Hello Earthling

canadiancritter will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney511 View Post
Mine gives pretty good advice... (example:one time I asked why the crickets I buy are dying, and the guy said what to do, and they didn't really die much again.)

Some employees may give decent advice but usually I would suggest people stay away from pet store advice.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
It depends on the store... For example, there are some educated people at pet stores that will roccemend Reptile Carpet as a substrate for bearded dragons, but others will swear on their life that Calci-sand is the best way to go, even though lots of beardies have actually been killed by it. There are so many stupid poeple out there, I wouldnt take a chance by listening to most pet store employees.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM

kateybabey is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody so much for your advice and well wishes. As an update, i took him to the vet who told me pretty much the same as what i already knew and charged me 25 for the pleasure, but he did suggest that i effectively force feed him by nudging his mouth open and popping his food directly onto his tongue (not down his throat). I have been giving him waxworms by this method that have been fed on a supplement. I also pop one or two crickets in to his cage from time to time to give him the option. he has eaten a couple of crickets this way, and takes the waxworms without much fight. It's not ideal, but he is at least getting nourishment and is still with us. I'll keep doing this until he starts taking food from his tank on regular basis.
On the pet store topic, mine is pretty good, but she admitted that by this time she was a little out of her depth and thought it best to take him to a vet to make sure there was nothing we were missing.

Last edited by kateybabey; 02-20-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Hello Earthling

canadiancritter will become famous soon enough
Glad to hear he is improving.

Tags
food, gecko, stress