Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Icedoll is on a distinguished road

Advice needed...puppy peeing constantly, ever few minutes ro

Hey y'all...

I got home tonight from work, and since then, my baby girl has been peeing on her potty papers constantly. It is clear, and not yellow. She has been drinking her water, but not THAT much. I'm getting worried, as I don't want her to dehydrate! Her poo is also a lot softer then normal. She is very tiny, only 8 weeks old and not even 2 pounds...so I'm really getting worried. Should I call the emergency vet!? My husband says her peeing alot is good, especially cause it's clear, but she is peeing a fairly good amount, seriously, like ever few minutes. I"m really worried :-( Anyone ever have a pup do this?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

millie121 is on a distinguished road
Just my opinion, but I don't think every few minutes IS good. Or am I interpreting that too literally?? How long have you had her again? We got a puppy once that peed pretty frequently out of nervousness/excitement the first evening we had her, but she settled in to a normal routine quickly after that.

Personally, I'd call the vet. Those little dogs can get into trouble very quickly. Clear urine can be okay, other times it can be an idication that the urine it too dilute, BUT THIS IS A judgement for a qualified veterinarian to make, not me. Best of luck to you and your little one!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Hi y'all :-)

I called the emergency vet last night, and they said to watch it, and bring her in this morn if it continues. Well, last night after I posted this, she slept all night in her kennel without having pee-pee or getting me up to take her out. So she held it for around 7 hours. This morning, she has been peeing normally, and not like last night. I"m going to call my regular vet in a few minutes when they open and see if I need to bring her in and have her checked for a UTI though. Her poo is still a lot softer then normal, which also concerns me, as she has been eating her normal diet. I want to discuss the poss. of her having allergies with the vet also. I've noticed the whites of her eyes have been a little red lately, and she sneezes some times will outside, and right after coming in. Poor baby, she may be like me and have to go on allergy meds :-( I'll give you all an update on the baby after the vet.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:39 PM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

jennawing is on a distinguished road
Puppy pads are scented to give them the idea to pee there- it is likely just a marking her territory thing. Especially if she is just tinkling a little each time.

The poo being softer could be due to stress or a change in diet.

I would just keep an eye on her for now for any other symptoms of not feeling well. If he's not had a check-up or shots yet, he will need to go to the vet anyway and you can ask the vet the about it and tips on housebreaking. It is good to decide on a plan of action from the beginning- there can be a lot of confusion with puppy pads, newspapers, litterboxes, and going outside. Your puppy will appreciate if you keep it simple.

This might help- http://www.inch.com/~dogs/housebreaking.html
Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Thank you for the advice y'all ;-) I took Phe to the vet this morning. Yes, she is up to date on her puppy shots, etc. :-) But anyway, the vet said that because her poo is soft for apparently no reason, i.e no change in diet, etc. that she may have picked up some type of parasite from playing outside. He gave her some meds, and gave me the syringe so I can giver her 1CC twice a day until the med. is gone. He says it is a good antibiotic and will kill anything that may be in her tummy upsetting it. As far as the peeing a lot, he says that her bladder is just so tiny, that she has to pee a lot. He said it was nothing to be concerned over, since she is back to normal peeing today. :-)
Old 10-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

jmb9101 is a glorious beacon of lightjmb9101 is a glorious beacon of lightjmb9101 is a glorious beacon of lightjmb9101 is a glorious beacon of lightjmb9101 is a glorious beacon of lightjmb9101 is a glorious beacon of light
Glad to hear she is doing ok!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Driving Diva

Leo has a spectacular aura aboutLeo has a spectacular aura aboutLeo has a spectacular aura about
Just an FYI a puppy should not be expected to hold it for 7 hours at only 8 weeks old... the MOST she should be expected to hold it is 2-3 hours MAX.... the general rule of thumb for a puppy is 1 hour for every month old they are or some people say 1 hour for every month plus 1 hour so 2-3 hours is the range you can expect for a puppy of her age to hold it and with a small breed dog, they are on the lower end of that range, so I would say more like 2 hours because their bladders are not as developed/large as a larger breed puppies.... a full grown dog should not be expected to hold it anymore than 8 hours and in some cases a full grown small breed dog may only be able to hold it 6 hours...... making a dog/puppy hold their urine for longer than they should (especially with a female) can lead to a bladder/UTI infection. Which is similar to what you were describing in your first post.

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs Leo and Gunner
Proud Coastie Sister!! My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed October 2000-November 2007

Last edited by Leo; 10-16-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

jennawing is on a distinguished road
Leo- I don't think she was making the puppy hold it- she was just noting that it had not peed during the night.

I am glad that she has some good meds and is getting better!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:44 AM

I never make her "hold" her urine really I don't think. She has free roam of the kitchen during the day while I'm at work with puppy pads down, that she uses. The only time she is in her kennel confined, is at night, normally from 11 p.m. till 5 a.m. The kennel is in our bedroom at night. She does not whine to go out normally to potty, and if she does, she is immediatly taken. Should I start leaving her in the kitchen at night with her kennel door open so she can use the potty pads then to, if that is too long for her to hold it? My vet has told me that it is fine for her to be in the kennel for that period of time since her water is taken away a few hours before bedtime. Thank you all for the advice, I'm still learning :-)
Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

CHERYL2121 is on a distinguished road
Icedoll, take it from me puppies pee alot!!! I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my puppy! But of course you did the right thing by first bringing her to the vet!! I posted the same thread practically a few weeks ago cause I was so scared too!! So any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm- I'd be happy to help, I know the feeling of having TONS of questions!!!!

And our new addition Lady!!:

Tags
emergency vet, regular vet