Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Newborn Pup

k9s4us is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

After effects of Parvo Virus

My lab mix suffered a severe near death episode of Parvo when he was 5 weeks old. He is now 8 months and growing rapidly. However, he does not have much stamina. He tires more rapidly than other dogs we have even though he is much younger. Does anyone know if this low energy could be an after effect of Parvo? He is up to date with shots, and the vet says his heart sounds fine, etc...

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with Parvo pups. I have had dogs all my 58 years, and this is my first and hopefully my last experience with Parvo. I have never seen anything so sick as this pup was. He had blood coming out both ends and lost 80% of his body weight before he began recuperating. The vets wanted to euthanize him, so I doctored him on my own with Pedialyte and catnip tea every 15 minutes for 5 days. I just hope this lack of stamina is not permanent for him.

I appreciate all information. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

millie121 is on a distinguished road
Someone I work with nursed their puppy through Parvo. They said it took a good while for her to get back to normal, even after the critical period passed. She's just fine now though (a shepherd mix), years later so I hope for the best with your pup. Those larger breeds grow so darned fast, which can be tiring in a normal pup; maybe just the added stress of being weakened from Parvo is just adding to it. I don't know, I'm just hazarding a guess. I hope everything turns out well.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Excited About Doggy Poop

CoCo Chanel is on a distinguished road
My best friend had a dog growing up....

her Mom bought a schanuzer (sp?) from the mall...and it became really sick since it had parvo... the petstore told her to just give him back for an exchange or refund.... but yeah...

her Mom said it was VERY expensive and time consuming to bring the puppy back to life... and well...The dog lived a pretty long and healthy life after that...I think he went on to live like 16 years or so....

It's difficult to deal with....but there is always hope...

Good luck!

CoCo has her own Myspace! Check it out and add her as a friend! http://www.myspace.com/coco609
Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Cardboard Chef

Mel will become famous soon enough
My friends had puppies that had parvo. They lost two and almost lost the third, but she BARELY made it. It FRIED her brain. She is just not right in the head, and her personality is completely different. She's ... not a nice little dog.

But stamina-wise, the dog can go for years. She's the energizer bunny.

My great dane puppy (7 mos) tires a lot faster than other adult dogs of other breeds, much less puppies of similar age. She's huge, and gets worn out VERY quickly. *shrug*

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06
Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
My shepard had Parvo as a puppy. It did not change his personality, but it did shorten his lifespan.

For the first i'd say 3 to 4 months after he was "clear" he had less energy. It isn't permanent, but they need to recover completely. It's a slow process.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 01-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Newborn Pup

k9s4us is on a distinguished road
Smile

Parvo Discussion

Thanks for your responses. It sure helps to talk with folks that have been through this. I have always had dogs but never been through Parvo. And I had always been told it was fatal, so to be honest, if these pups had been mine at the time, I would probably have let the vet euthanize the one I decided to keep. I was fostering him when he became sick & started vomiting, so I immediately took him to the vet who wanted to euthanize. I told him I would contact owner to see what he wanted to do. The vet gave the male pup IVs under his skin, & I brought him back home with me. I could not return them to their owner for fear of infecting the litter mates. By the next morning, the puppy was so near death that I did not think he would make it through the day. He could not raise his head, & blood came out both ends. I fed him Pedialyte mixed with catnip tea every 15 minutes and constantly changed his puppy pad. I cleaned with a strong solution of Clorox hoping his litter mate would not get sick. But she did.

I did not take her to the vet since I knew he would want to euthanize. I treated her the same way I did her brother. But I had ordered Parvo Guard from Amber Technologies which came overnight. I started her on it before she started showing symptoms, and she did not get as sick as the male puppy. He was deathly sick for 2 days. His body was lifeless and cold. He finally drug himself far under the bed wanting to be left alone. So, I figured he was crawling away to die. I cried in despair and gave up on him; remarkedly, the next morning, he was up scratching at the door, whining. I cried like a baby!!! Then through the day, he would pester his sister wanting to play. I had to separate them so she could get rest and recuperate. They both survived, but I had to wait until the vet thought it was safe before I took them to their owners. But the guy that was supposed to adopt the male did not seem to reliable and was reluctant to pay his vet fee. So, I kept him. I had not named them since they were not my dogs. So now, the male is stuck with Mister for a name. We called them Mister & Sister, but the female's owner had a name picked out for her.
Until I received your replies, I had never considered that his bulk might be the reason he tires easily. He is huge. But he lost more weight than the female pup did. I had worried about the high fever he had with Parvo damaging his brain and his heart. But, it is obvious that nothing is wrong with his brain. He is amazingly intelligent. He brings me his dish when he wants to be fed. When he finishes eating, he brings it to me to be put away. He sits on command, shakes hands, lies down, almost rolls over (he hates that one) and almost stays until I give the command to come to me. (He hates that one too). He is trained to lead with a halter but hates a collar. He is great with other dogs and cats and kids, so he could adapt to nearly any situation. But he thinks he is my protector. We have such a strong bond, and I am glad the owner did not seem to really want him.
I have talked with the owner of his litter mate. She says Puddles is very smart too. So, I don't think the fever harmed their brains. I guess time will tell if any damage was done to their other major organs.
Thanks again for the responses. All advice is appreciated & might help Mister's progress.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

grlunderrainbow is on a distinguished road
I've seen many dogs that have had Parvo (after being a vet tech and working with a Dog/Cat rescue), and heard experiences from those who've had Parvo dogs live their lives out with them. They weren't always shortened or permanently affected. Distemper is one that more often permanently impairs dogs, depending on how late it's caught. Parvo dog's don't necessarily die, if given proper care. If you have the funds to try treatment, I'd opt for that, Parvo dogs generally have about a 50/50 chance though. Some come in and look like they'll never pull through and they do. Others come through with less severe symptoms only to crash and die. Hookworms for that matter, can be worse than parvo. We at one time had a puppy at the clinic with hooks and one with parvo (both pits) and the parvo pup recovered MUCh sooner and better than the hookworm infested puppy. I've seen those that want to treat this at home.. but if it were my dog, even after being a vet tech and being experienced with all the things you have to do with them, I'd opt for a clinic with 24 hour care. It's heartbreaking, but watching them pull out of it is awesome. And for a complete recovery, it may take some time to really seem the dog be what he should be without having had Parvo. Good luck
Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 PM

X-Tina is on a distinguished road
My dog Missy had parvo she made it but after words she acted the same but she got allergies to beef and dog food .. Is this and after effect?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Spicy_Bulldog is on a distinguished road
I'm so glad to hear you didn't have him PTS. A lot of people think parvo is too hard to treat or that it is expensive to treat or always fatal but that is really not true at all.

I've had dogs with parvo in the past. Only a few mild - severe, near death. They have come back fine.

What breed is your dog? How big? How is the build?

The stamina could be an effect of the parvo if it caused some internal damage, however it could have nothing to do with it at all. Some dogs don't have the same stamina as others, they lack the endurance. Others lack wind which leads to less stamina. My one female who had parvo (the very severe case) has very good wind and great stamina. She can run the mill for hours and will hunt for hours. The others have all been pretty good on stamina and recovery from work out. On the other hand I had a dog who was very healthy and never had parvo but she didn't have too much stamina (on top of other things), she loved to work and really loved weight pull so it was kind of sad but she really couldn't compete.

Of course just because other dogs haven't had this effect doesn't mean it didn't affect your dog that way. It is just extremely hard to say since many dogs who've never been sick might not have a lot of stamina or energy.

There could also be another underlying health problem causing this. A side effect of something else which doesn't exhibit much symptoms but might be remedied with medication.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 AM

knelson095 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlunderrainbow View Post
I've seen many dogs that have had Parvo (after being a vet tech and working with a Dog/Cat rescue), and heard experiences from those who've had Parvo dogs live their lives out with them. They weren't always shortened or permanently affected. Distemper is one that more often permanently impairs dogs, depending on how late it's caught. Parvo dog's don't necessarily die, if given proper care. If you have the funds to try treatment, I'd opt for that, Parvo dogs generally have about a 50/50 chance though. Some come in and look like they'll never pull through and they do. Others come through with less severe symptoms only to crash and die. Hookworms for that matter, can be worse than parvo. We at one time had a puppy at the clinic with hooks and one with parvo (both pits) and the parvo pup recovered MUCh sooner and better than the hookworm infested puppy. I've seen those that want to treat this at home.. but if it were my dog, even after being a vet tech and being experienced with all the things you have to do with them, I'd opt for a clinic with 24 hour care. It's heartbreaking, but watching them pull out of it is awesome. And for a complete recovery, it may take some time to really seem the dog be what he should be without having had Parvo. Good luck

My dog Muffin, a shiba inu/border collie mix got parvo when she was 6 months old. She has all of her stamina back (more if possible) but she does not seem as smart as she used to be. She is now 10 months old. Before parvo we taught her tricks and she would catch on in minutes, but now it takes her at least a week of teaching. Oh, and if you really can't afford it, don't leave them at the vet. You CAN take them home and give them fluids and antibiotics yourself. I did the IV drip and everything because the vet we went to wanted to keep her until she was better and wanted to charge us $350 a DAY for up to a week. And when we took her home the vet pretty much told me she was going to die (which really made me more determined to make her live). They even offered free euthanization if things got too bad. This from a vet who didn't even run a parvo test until the hospital directer made her, but instead charged us for expensive radiographs to see the contents of her stomach....
If it is super critical and you can, leave them. But honestly it is not necessary. You can do at home most of what they would to there. Muffin was almost dying and I brought her back. Her white blood cell count was 0 and she hadn't eaten or drank anything in like 3 days.
My story had a happy ending, it was a little different because she was older, and I know it is not always the case, but a vet stay that costs a small fortune is not always necessary for parvo.

Sorry I got a little off topic.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 PM

russelgrane is on a distinguished road
My friend had 5 puppies and he lost 3 puppies because they had parvo. Those puppies were having some problem in their head, and due to this they were changed a lot physically, it was almost difficult to recognize them.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM

dktotz is on a distinguished road
My friend's dog also had parvo. She became sick but she survived. and it did shorten her lifespan.

Tags
lab mix, litter mates, shepherd mix, vet tech