Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Newborn Pup

kernel65 is on a distinguished road

Blue Heeler and Cold Weather

Just got a Blue Heeler pup (13 weeks old), I have been coming home at lunch to let him out of his crate. I will not be able to let him out this week like I have been. He has a kennel outside with dog house and have an old bed blanket and a saddle blanket to put into his house. The low will be in the 30's early in the morning getting into the 50's towards afternoon. Is this too cold for him to be out? This is my first inside/outside pet type dog and not a farm dog, thanks for any help.

Scott
Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

kathydip is on a distinguished road
Can you call his breeder? My first reaction is that he is way too little to be outside on his own.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
He'll be fine. just make absolute sure he can't get out of the kennel.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
My mom grew up on a farm and they had outdoor dogs. She said her mother used to put warm water in glass mason jars (or I imagine empty glass jam jars would work) and put them in the dog house at night. Remember to take them out quickly to prevent freezing. Also be sure to only fill them 3/4 way up to allow room if they do freeze (hopefully not!). Does the dog house have a flap on it? If not you may want to consider something heavy to put up temporarily to keep in heat. You could also try to arrange for a neighbor or friend to check on him at least the first day.

-edit-
oh yes, I keep my pup in the kitchen while I'm gone. There is a fence so he can't get out and I leave wee mats down for him to use. Do you have a garage, kitchen, or back porch type thing you could puppy proof and let him stay in there?

--------------------------

Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Newborn Pup

kernel65 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. We have had warmer than thought temperatures, so he as been doing good. Good call on the flap marmilla, I will make one for his house, at least it will keep the dirt out while he is digging. I plan on making a floor for his kennel, maybe he won't find another water line... One good thing about the digging and play time when I get home, he gets tired and is sleeping by 8:00 at night. I have thought about the gates for the kitchen, but they wouldn't hold him, he's got a lot of energy, imagine that from a Heeler, LOL. Any other help about this breed is welcome.

Cheers,
Scott