Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:53 PM

Mr Poopie Face is on a distinguished road

Boil? Bubble? What the...? Pictures!

What on earth is that thing on my dog? It looks like a huge boil, but I don't know. Is it serious? It is maybe 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. It is not hard, more like a balloon that is low on air. I can squeeze it a little and she does not seem to notice at all. I'm afraid she might scratch it open and it could get infected. The good news is it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She's a black lab, maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Is this something I can take care of myself if someone prescribes a tranquilizer and suture kit for her? I don't have enough money to take her to the vet, and I don't want this to go untreated. I'm afraid this may cost in the hundreds at the vet's.

Please see the pictures. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daisy1LQ.jpg (53.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Daisy2LQ.jpg (37.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Nikko will become famous soon enough
Sorry, I have no idea what that is and I don't want to sound rude, but you should really take her to the vet. I know it's costly, but if this was happening to your child and you couldn't afford to take them to the doctor, I'm sure you'd come up with the money somehow. Good luck with everything and I hope she gets better soon.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Formula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really nice
I second that notion. Is there anything you can pawn? You should really discuss payment plans with your vet, too. If not them, any other vet.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Your doggie has a cist(spell?). My dog gets tons of them (not that big tho) and it doesnt hurt them or anything, theyre just anoying. You can take your doggie to the vet to get it drained but it can cost alot of $. If you have a REALLY strong stomache, you can try to drain it yourself: Just put a warm washcloth over in and rub on it a little and it may or may not pop. Its kinda like a giant pimple. If it does pop, clean it and put antibiotics or something on it to keep infection out. If it doesnt pop take your doggie to a vet. I hope she does OK.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Your doggie has a cist(spell?). My dog gets tons of them (not that big tho) and it doesnt hurt them or anything, theyre just anoying. You can take your doggie to the vet to get it drained but it can cost alot of $. If you have a REALLY strong stomache, you can try to drain it yourself: Just put a warm washcloth over in and rub on it a little and it may or may not pop. Its kinda like a giant pimple. If it does pop, clean it and put antibiotics or something on it to keep infection out. If it doesnt pop take your doggie to a vet. I hope she does OK.

Please do not diagnose a pet's condition over the internet. If you have questions, see our policy on Medical Advice.

There is no way to tell for sure if it's a cyst or a tumor without taking the dog to the vet. Lancing it yourself can introduce infection and potentially be painful for the dog.

I would strongly suggest taking her to the vet. It may be nothing, but it could be a malignant tumor and catching it early could give her many more years of life.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
if this was happening to your child and you couldn't afford to take them to the doctor, I'm sure you'd come up with the money somehow. Good luck with everything and I hope she gets better soon.

You are correct, but I can get another dog for free tomorrow. Kids, well that's a different story. I love her and all, but it's not nearly the same love I have for my child.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Jess:

Cyst, n. a closed bladderlike sac, formed in animal tissues, containing fluid or semi-fluid matter.

I think you are dead on in your opinion. It is not hard like I mentioned above. Feels like there is fluid in it or semi-fluid matter. A couple other people told me this also, and it makes sense to me. I think I will see what happens for a couple days, then shave the area, then giver her one of my Vicodine, then an hour later pop it under steril conditions, keep it clean and give her some of my other dogs left over antibiotic.

Please someone stop me! I can't help myself. Voices are telling me to do it, and I don't feel myself lately.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Vicodin would be a bad idea. Tylenol can be problematic if dosed incorrectly and can also be tough on the liver. Being that she's an older dog, I wouldn't recommend giving it since we don't know if she has any liver issues.

As for giving the leftover antibiotic, just as with us, you should always give a full course of antibiotics or the bacteria can become resistant. Giving just a couple of days may help at first, but can hurt in the long run. I've seen pups that came into the office with very resistant infections that had to ultimately be cultured and treated with specific (and expensive) antibiotics from this practice.

No matter what you decide, I hope all works out for your pup. I would still suggest a vet.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
im with the 'going to the vet' opinion. dogs live for 1-2 decades man, just take her in, tell the vet up front what your budget is and maybe just have them tell you how to pop this thing, rather than have them do it. *sigh* i dunno, but give her the credit she deserves, she's been your unknown bodyguard these past years. don't take that for granted. plus, if you approach it well, many vets are sympathetic to your budgetary needs, so just be kind and honest, they will help you, after all they only care about the animals' well being
Old 07-21-2007, 05:04 PM

Jade, Thank you very much for your help in all that we've been through. I've read the FAQs now, which I should have done before I posted anything. Note to self and newbies: READ FAQS 1ST!

I understand now about the antibiotic, and now that you mention that, I remember learning that somewhere else too, way back... I will not use it. OK, nothing with Tylenol, in it either (Acetaminophen). It doesn't hurt to give dogs Asperin in low doses, does it? I think I heard about poeple doing this for arthritis.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
*sigh* i dunno, but give her the credit she deserves, she's been your unknown bodyguard these past years. don't take that for granted.

OK, OK, you guys are making me cry. I'll see what I can do about the vet, even though I knew that's what everyone would say, and was hoping to get some insight into DIY vet work.

A big thanks to everyone responding, past, present and future.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Administrator

You're welcome on the help. It's a common question. We had a little notice at the top for those who were moderated, but the recent software upgrades have put some things out of commission temporarily.

Aspirin is the 'safest' over the counter med, but you have to be careful with that too. It can cause GI upset, gastric ulcers, increase clotting times, etc. You might call a vet in your area, preferrably one that has seen your dog before, to get a dosage. I would be especially careful with aspirin in an older lab or golden without a vet visit and full physical exam, as they can be prone to splenic tumors that will often slowly bleed into the abdomen, completely unnoticed. Decreasing their blood's clotting ability could, theoretically, be deadly.

Be warned, they may not give a dosage to you over the phone. OTC meds are not labeled for dogs, so it's technically giving a prescription without a current doctor/patient relationship, which is illegal. Vets have been sued for this before, unfortunately.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Driving Diva

Leo has a spectacular aura aboutLeo has a spectacular aura aboutLeo has a spectacular aura about
Please take her to the vet

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs Leo and Gunner
Proud Coastie Sister!! My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed October 2000-November 2007
Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 PM

Jess: Any chance we could see a picture of your dog with tons of cysts, especially focusing on the cyst aspect?

This sounds very interesting to me. Like my dog's thing, never heard of it, never seen it.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:11 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Well he's not covered head to toe in cysts, he has 3 or 4 tiny cysts and he used to have a really big one but the vet removed it. Sorry I exagerated and I probably should have put "I think its a cyst". I was just trying to help, and I have drained some of my animals cysts, and I said what I would have done. Sorry if any one took it the wrong way.
Sorry again about saying my dog has tons of cysts, I was exagerating and dont think that we dont take care of him, cause we do.

Sorry... I shouldnt have posted in this tread....

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
animal shelter, black lab, older dog, pet owner, vet clinic, vet visit