Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 02-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Christi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura about

Breeding Question

I had someone contact me wanting to know how close 2 dogs can be to be bred. It's been a long while since I had a dog and basically they want to breed a male with a pup from one of his sisters' litters. I am thinking that maybe one of that PUP's puppies but the puppy herself is too close?? Can someone help me out here?
Alabama Moms | This Is Me
Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
So basically they want to breed the dog to it's niece (sp?)?

I'm not sure about that, but some people "line breed" father to daughter and mother to son. I do know that brother/sister mating is a huge no no. They might want to contact AKC and get their opinion, especially if the pups are going to be registered, and definitely ask a vet.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Christi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura about
I suggested calling a vet too - they won't be registered.. and their Pit Bulls, not sure if the breed would matter though. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Dena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to all
I wouldn't breed at all. There are too many in shelters to begin with and since they aren't being registered (it would be with the UKC not the AKC because they are not recognized) it is a little suspicious to me. Please do not forget that this breed is very close to my heart and I own two myself. Now that is my little soapbox.

Second, when I visited very "big name" pitbull breeders 6 years ago, with my friend, the breeders were trying to breed completely unrelated lines. Pitbulls have very few health concerns and breeding them too closely could start to cause them, never mind temperment concerns. The closest I would ever even consider breeding may be cousins and that would be for any breed not just pits.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I voiced pretty much the same things, Dena!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

fstybrat is a glorious beacon of lightfstybrat is a glorious beacon of lightfstybrat is a glorious beacon of lightfstybrat is a glorious beacon of lightfstybrat is a glorious beacon of light
I don't know anything about pitbulls specifically, but when I was growing up my mom used to breed and show collies. I do know that line breeding is BAD! it brings out (doubles up) the faults and the defects in the line stronger than it would otherwise.
I agree that AKC (American Kennel Club) is the best place to go for info on that. My advice on that is try to avoid line breeding as much as possible!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:57 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

TeddyGrahamPoms is on a distinguished road
Here is my

I breed pomeranians & don't linebreed AT ALL. I had a bad experience regarding this actually. I purchased a male from a breeder & bred him with a un-related female only to find out that the bloodline papers were mixed up somehow & I was given the wrong paperwork. SO the male I had purchased WAS related to my female. (3 generations) The litter had a few complications & I'm not too sure if it was from the in-breeding or not, but that female never had another problem after that.......

I would also have to agree with Dena about the health problems & line breeding more than likely WOULD produce some sort of temperment/health problems.......

Tags
kennel club, pit bull, pit bulls