Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM

petcan is on a distinguished road

Chiggers!!!

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on how to get rid of or prevent chiggers from getting on dogs. I have a 9 week old puppy that is full of chiggers. We've put medicine in the yard and put advantage on the puppy, but she is still scratching. Poor thing, she has so many sores. She is in the house except to potty. Any info will help. Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
i think front line works on them.

My sister lives in arkansas and they have chiggers and one of the flea meds works on them i forget which one.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Riddick is on a distinguished road
If he has sores all over his body, it may be a good idea to take him to the vet to get a skin scraping and dipped. He could have demodex or sarcoptic mange on top of chiggers if he is scratching that badly.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

becrac16 is on a distinguished road
What kind of dog is he? My dog is a golden retriever, and although she has never had a huge flea problem ( I don't think ever) her skin is really sensitive, and if we are not feeding her special types of food, she will scratch until she can't scratch anymore. All those chiggers probably made her skin really sensitive, especially as a puppy. I would take her to the vet, and see if they say anything about it. But maybe I would mix in a bit of sensitive skin dog food with her puppy food, and see if that helps. My dog eats a venicin mix, which isn't as expensive as it sounds. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wishbone is on a distinguished road
Where did he got them? My uncle had to hire technical people to spray the trees around to stop fleas and ticks. I agree with vet visit first so you could get more advice too.

Visit - My Photos - for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
dogs