Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 12-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Christi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura about

Dogs Shown to React to Music

Dogs Shown to React to Music
by Lisa R. Kindel

Two recent studies have shown that the behavior of dogs can be affected by the type of music they are hearing.
When a team of researchers led by Deborah Wells, an animal behaviorist employed by Queen's University in Belfast, Northern Island, exposed 50 dogs in an animal shelter to Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, Greig's Morning and other classical pieces, the dogs became calm and laid down.

When the researchers played music by Metallica and other heavy metal bands, the dogs became agitated and began barking.
Pop music - and radio talk shows - seemed to have little effect.
A similar research project conducted at the Rehoming Center of the National Canine Defense League in Evesham, England yielded comparable results.

"It is well established that music can influence our moods," said Wells. "Dogs may be as discerning as humans when it comes to music."

"Dogs have a taste in musical styles just as people do," said Alison Jaskiewicz, cofounder of the Canine Freestyle Federation, which is dedicated to broadening the scope of dog training by adding choreography to it. "If you move dogs to different types of music, you will see their preferences reflected in their bodies, in their eagerness to move, in their tail set, in their ear set, etc."

2002 Animal News Center, Inc.
Alabama Moms | This Is Me
Old 12-08-2002, 03:49 PM
PitterPatter

That does not surprise me one bit. Ivan hates being home alone, so whenever we are gone, we play soft classical music, and he relaxes and sleeps. It neat to hear scientific studies about it though! I know my chin room always has soft music playing. i would guess all animals love it.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
Cool

Talk radio always puts ME to sleep!

My girls don't seem to pay a lot of attention to it, but I do always leave the TV's on so that they'll have "company". Birds, however, absolutely DO react to music - they like it loud and fast so they can sing along!

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Old 01-06-2003, 12:27 AM
PT's Favorite 'Little Sister'

MusicPawz is on a distinguished road
This proves that all creation, including animals, has a love for music. After all, music has been around since the dawn of man.

I can't remember whether my Maxwell reacted to music or not, but I do know my Squiggy (cat) does. He actually likes it when I sing, he also loves the piano, but hates the violin. lol!

<- Got Moo?

"Great works are performed not be strength, but by perseverance."
~Samuel Johnson

Tags
animal shelter, chin room, dog training