Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Brittney has a spectacular aura aboutBrittney has a spectacular aura about

Ear Infections, swollen/bubble ear

Well, just got done with one of my Jack Russells and his winter allergies which took more time/medicine than usual. Now my white GSD has a really bad ear infection (just looking into it is gross). She gets them here and there so the vet gives us medicine whenever we need. This time... just within three days her ear went floppy, her ear looks really bad and she has like a swollen ear... like a bubble in it you can feel, so I guess it's not swollen, but something filled in it. We're going to try to get her in to the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas of what the problem with her ear is? Is it like pus and they'll drain it, or what? I'm assuming her ear went down because of the bubble in her ear. Any ideas? She does have a cyst too, but it's not like that. I feel so bad for her.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
It's likely blood in the ear. When they have ear infections, they tend to shake their heads and/or scratch at the ears. What happens is that by doing so, they burst the blood vessels in the ear, so the ear swells with blood. It's rarely life threatening and the vet can drain it for you tomorrow. They may need to surgically fix the blood vessels, though. You can put a cool compress on the ear to relieve some of the inflammation and help stop the bleeding for now. Just call the vet first thing in the AM and let them know your dog likely has an aural hematoma.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Chinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Jade. You may also want to get an E-collar for her to help keep her from scratching and digging at her ear when she gets infections. That way, when you know an ear infection is coming on, you can put the collar on her and prevent this from occuring again. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at www.crosscreekchins.com
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for the responses

I'm glad to hear it's probably nothing too serious.
She's getting up there in age, so I kind of get worried if something is wrong with her. :|
Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I got back a little bit ago from the walk in clinic. They admitted her and she'll be okay to go homw tomorrow afternoon.... they're going to put her under anesthesia and drain her ear and flush her ear out good.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Newborn Pup

Muriel is on a distinguished road
Hi Brittney,

Just registered to respond to this, but a bit late!

If her ear should swell up like that again with blood after a lot of head shaking, get Homeopathic Hammamellis 30c and give her 3 daily until it goes down, which it should within a day or two.

This happened to my Weimaraner last year when she had a sudden severe allergy and basically shook her head all night. By the early hours both ears were like balloons! I took her to the vet for an anti-histamine shot but wouldn't let her touch the ears, and got the Hammamellis and they were back to normal in a couple of days!

Hope she's fine, sending lots of Reiki for her.

Tags
ear infection, ear infections, jack russell