Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 01-05-2003, 04:56 PM
marsha

Talking

help for tail chewing!!

Hi, I am new to Pawtalk and have a question.My friend has an 8 year old greyhound mix and she has an on-going behavior problem. Missy, whenever left alone (which BTW is very rare!), chews her tail to the point of bleeding. She makes a giant mess because her tail inevitably drags across the walls, etc = Gross!!

I had her use some bitter apple, which worked for awhile, but is ineffective now. I thought all you smarties out there might offer me some tips.

Thanks!

Marsha
Old 01-06-2003, 12:19 AM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
Cool

Is she kept crated while the owner is away? If not, she might try that. Grayhounds are nervous dogs by nature, and she is obviously anxious while her mom is gone. Sometimes having their own space and knowing that they aren't responsible for the whole house helps.

I assume that she has definitely ruled out any skin problems......since it seems to happen only when she's away. Has she discussed this with her vet? He might be able to give her something for anxiety to give the dog when she is going to be away from home. I'm not advocating a dog hopped up on drugs, but sometimes atarax or acepromazine will help.

Just out of curiousity, what is the protein content of the food this dog eats? A high protein level seems to add to any skin problem that they might have. My daughter keeps her Golden on food that is no more than 16 to 18%. Since this dog is no longer a "working" dog she doesn't require a lot of protein.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head! I know how they can chew themselves in just a matter of minutes until they are bleeding and you feel sorry for the dog and sorry for the owner (because I know she feels guilty).

Let me know what happens.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Old 01-06-2003, 08:12 AM
marsha

chewing tail

Hi Crittercall,

Just read your suggestions and thanks. Her dog is not crated and that is a really interesting idea. She has the run of the house. I really think you may have something there. Do you think she would freak out suddenly being thrown in a crate after 8 years of no crating???

Acepromazine, etc... also a good thought.

I know Missy is a really really slow picky eater but don't know her brand, but will find out and report back.

I see you are the Bird Moderator; do you have greyhounds too?

Thanks, Marsha
Old 01-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
Cool

No, I don't have greyhounds. I worked in the vet business for 10 years before coming to FL and my dog groomer here is very much into greyhounds. I need to call and make an appt for my girls tomorrow (2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and 1 shihtzu) and plan to ask her about it.

I don't think she would freak over being put into a crate. I'll ask Terri (groomer) about that, but most dogs love to have a place of their own to get away from it all. My shihtzu is afraid of the crate that the Cavaliers use, which is good because it gives them a place to go to get away from her when she gets rowdy (she's just a year old and they are way to dignified to play!).

I'll get back with you after I talk to my "local expert".

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
cavalier king charles, cavalier king charles spaniel, cavalier king charles spaniels, king charles spaniel