Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 01-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

PicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nice

Homeowners Insurance: FL - "Bad Dogs"

Anyone here with a "Bad Dog" that has a homeowner's insurance policy that does NOT have a "Bad Dog" list?

"Bad/Banned Dogs" lists include:
Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Chows, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, pit bulls or Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Siberian Huskies, Presa Canarios... and whatever they decide is evil next week....

I am NOT counting "Bad Dogs" that have actually done something "bad". Just the bad dogs that only are bad because they were born a specific breed. E.g. never mulled anyone or had a bite claim filed against them.

I'm tired of supporting companies that have banned my dogs..... by "not mentioning" the dogs we continue to pay companies that wont allow them. If EVERYONE that had a dog on "the list" stopped paying companies that ban these dogs...maybe they'd reconsider this silly ban.

And for thise reason I'm going to be dropping my Geico Car Insurance on all of my cars as well....for the sole reason of their homeowners insurance policy not being willing to write, under any circumstances, a policy for someone with a dog on their list. Rather than them picking up my home on top of it all they lose everything. Unfortunately, losing me isn't going to break them..... so hopefully I wont be the only one to start getting "tough back".

I am OPEN to signing with a company that will not cover 'the dogs' on the policy.

I am OPEN to signing with a company that charges extra if I have dogs on the list.

I'm just really frustrated by the number of companies that simply WILL NOT give you a policy if you have a dog on their list...

As the caretaker of two rottweilers and a shepherd mix..I'm on EVERY LIST lol

Basic example with some of the larger companies I've called so far...

Florida Farm Bureau Insurance
Bad Dog List - Will NOT write a policy if have dog on the list
I called the Sanford Office:
http://floridafarmbureau.com/fbWebAg...Cnty.aspx?c=59
They said they might be able to right one via a "Farm Bureau" insurance but it depends on many factors
They said could probably write under some type of state pool insurance called "Citizens"

State Farm Insurance
Bad Dog List - Will NOT write a policy if have dog on the list (their list appears to be small, limited to rottweilers and pit bulls)
http://www.statefarm.com/
Called Oviedo Office

Geico Homeowners Insurance
http://www.geico.com/home/home/

-----

So, who in Florida has a "Bad Dog" and homeowners insurance that allows it? And before saying yours does allow it, please give them an "anonymous ring" and ask them if they write policies for homeowners with a pit bull or rottweiler just to be sure....

I have a LOT of ranting about this issue..but for now I'm just curious if there are recommendations....

Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

PicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nice
Here's a few more...

AllState
Includes: "pit bull" varfieties and specifically, the Staffordshire Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, Chow, Presa Canario, Akita, Wold Hybrids and Huskies.

First American Specialty and First American Property & Casuality
Includes: Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier (any of the pit bull breeds), Bull Mastiff, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, Akita, Wolf or wolf hybrid.

MetLife
http://www.metlife.com/Applications/...4,P382,00.html
Has a Bad Dog List and wont write the policy if your dog falls under their criteria
Article that "implies" it's not so bad:
http://www.unclematty.com/woofpub/ar...tlife.htm?#248
A Phone call resulted in the agent "following the rules of the article" for marketing sake, but noting that Rottweilers are absolutely on their list and that normally, after doing the questionnaire about the dog the policy is denied.

Florida Family Insurance
http://www.flfamily.com/
Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Akita, Dobermans are top on their list

--- MetLife really gets my goat because they offer pet insurance...pffttt
Old 01-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Formula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really nice
this is horrible!! i have allstate, but in texas.

can you tell me what exactly you asked the people to get the answer (whether or not they have a list, etc)? cause i'd like to ask. i have small dogs, but may want a rot one day. but on top of everything - it's the PRINCIPLE!! so wrong... ugh. so what did you say, deb?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Millimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really nice
That is so pathetically stupid! They might as well put all creature on that list because even mice can hurt people pretty badly. When you open your home to an animal, wild or domesticated, risks are involved, no matter how big or small the risks or animals are.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
can you tell me what exactly you asked the people to get the answer (whether or not they have a list, etc)? cause i'd like to ask. i have small dogs, but may want a rot one day. but on top of everything - it's the PRINCIPLE!! so wrong... ugh. so what did you say, deb?

Well the beauty about calling with that question is that you don't have to answer any other questions. Not a single one tried to sell me insurance or even ask my name!

Typical Call goes like this:

Hello, I'd like to speak with someone concerning the possibility of getting my homeowner's insurance with you.

Call transferred to agent....

Agent> Hello, how may I help you?

Me> Hi, I am searching for homeowners insurance but before we can go any further I need to know if you have a Bad or Restricted dog list

Agent> Yes we do, but maybe your dog isn't on it...what type of dog do you have?

Me> I have rottweilers, which I'm sure are on it, but even if I didn't I wouldn't insure with a company that refuses to insure a dog owner of any breed w/o question. Do you offer ANY WAY for a rottweiler owner to be insured either by charging more or by excluding the dog from the policy?

Agent> No ma'am we don't. You would need to get rid of the dogs before we could consider discussing a policy for you.

Me> Thank you for your time, click.

All calls have taken less than 5 minutes each.

And yes I'M IRATE about it!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
have you tried Farmers Deb??!!

I have USAA and they dont' discriminate, but they are military based. I'll check around and see if i can find more info for you.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
this might help some

http://www.akc.org/insurance/insurance_chart0702.cfm

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 01-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Farmers doesn't cover Florida. We're one of the few states they don't cover

AKC says to contact your dog's national breed club -- I went to my national breed club's web site and looked up the homeowners insurance issue and it provided a link back to the AKC LOL
Old 01-03-2005, 06:23 PM

jeez

i'd call another state farm office, or the main line. They are supposed to be one without a breed ban list. Some agents will lie and say they don't cover it so they don't have to deal with it.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Chinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to behold
We have Nationwide...they had no problem covering us and all our policies are through them. They didn't charge extra for the dogs, and according to my agent, here in NC there isn't a breed ban or blacklist with them. Either way, she met the dogs and said there was no problem.
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at www.crosscreekchins.com
Old 01-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

DirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of light
WOW!! I'm so glad this is posted as we are going to be having to get homeowners insurance in the next few months.
Here in Italy they require (but isn't forced) to take out a 3rd part insurance on the dog's they have listed on their "dangerous" list....now that Italy has around 93 breeds on that list and yet no american can even begin to know where to go for Italian 3rd party insurance makes it all more fun and exciting!! UGH....however there is a loop hole here in Italy they require owners of the "dangerous" dog(s) to purchase a 3rd party insurance if the dog is registered in Italy, well when your an american and have your dogs annual booster/rabies done on base, the base vet requires a microchip therefor registering the dog through them the United States Military, which inturns does not mean your dog is registered in Italy as the base is "UNITED STATES SOIL" hehe...gotta love the loop holes.
I'll be doing my research before purchasing homeowners insurance in N.C.

Dirty South Chinchillas
MCBA Member
Breeder Info-Links
Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
This is soo, soo, SOOOOOOOO stupid.

Words cannot describe how stupd it really is.

I'm glad in Finland a house is a house and it doesn't matter what critters are living in it.

I wonder if Kirby is considered a dangerous dog. He's a spitz breed--oh yeah, you know how deadly those spitz type dogs are.

And you know, the worse bite I've ever recieved came from a RAT and another one from a dwarf hamster.

You can't discriminate against coloured people anymore so now places are wanting to discriminate against dogs. It's the Civil Rights Movement all over again, except this time it's for our canine friends.

What a shame.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

DirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
You can't discriminate against coloured people anymore so now places are wanting to discriminate against dogs. It's the Civil Rights Movement all over again, except this time it's for our canine friends.
What a shame.

Dirty South Chinchillas
MCBA Member
Breeder Info-Links
Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I can't argue (as much as I'd like to sometimes lol) that a 75lb dog who is violent can do more damage than a 10lb dog who is violent. And the insurance companies have paid out a ton of money to dog bite incidents therefore it does place you in a "higher risk category" if you have a large dog. Disregarding all other aspects of "Is the owner a good owner or a bad owner" etc etc etc I still think there is a MUCH BETTER solution for the insurance companies, and thus the homeowners that would make a whole lot more sense.

We have a pool - that puts us at higher risk and we will be charged more than someone without a pool.

Someone with no pool gets a discount

Someone with a pool but also a fence directly around the pool that is auto-locking gets charged more than the guy with no pool and less than the guy with a pool and no direct fence...

The same applies to all kinds of things.... fireplaces, hot tubs, et al

Heck I had termite insurance... now get this... one of our walls had both termites and carpenter ants in it. The wall got trashed and we had to replace it. So we of course filed a claim with the termite insurance, WHO BTW HAD BEEN PROTECTING THE HOUSE FROM THESE NASTY CRITTERS FOR OVER FOUR YEARS WITH THEIR CHEMICALS ETC TO PREVENT SUCH A SITUATION.

Well when they got done with their investigation the following was determined.

a) Carpenter ants do a whole lot more damage to wood than termites do BUT carpenter ants only chew through wood to get around...they do not actually EAT the wood.

b) The carpenter ants eat the termites.

c) Termite insurance only covers bugs that EAT wood. Since the carpenter ants are the more powerful of the two bugs and because they eat the termites then it can be sumized that the carpenter ants did the damage and therefore we were not covered and left to own resources to do all of the work.

Needless to say...I dropped the insurance after that...

Claim attempt #2

We had flood and sinkhole insurance etc...

My basement floods every year.

Why? Because there is a natural spring under it.

Covered? NOPE cuz of a dozen and one loopholes that have an end result of "We don't cover damage caused by natural springs".

My point being...with all of the other loopholes these insurance companies have I SEE NO REASON they can't exclude dogs like they do everything else.

And if they are going to place a "risk assessment" on the dogs...do it by size not by name...

0-15 lbs - little to no risk
16-30 lbs - small risk
31-50 lbs - at risk
51-and up - high risk

Charge us more, or refuse to cover "dog events" but don't turn away the business flat out because there is a dog. My neighbor's huge mutt can/will do far more damage than all three of my dogs put together but the insurance comp doesn't see a risk there cuz "MUTT" is not on their LIST.

Ridiculous!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:55 AM

couldn't have said it better myself Deb

I thank god every day for USAA. They are wonderful. No breed bans, just deed bans. Any animal that has bitten is excluded from the policy. That goes for homeowners as well as renters.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted

Tags
border collie, bull terrier, dwarf hamster, german shepherd, german shepherds, national breed club, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pit bulls, shepherd mix, staffordshire bull terrier

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

bull mastiff scottsville ky
french mastiff in glasgow scotland