Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 PM

tomswife07 is on a distinguished road

I have a 5 week old puppy what do I feed her?

I have a 5 week old puppy, of course she can't eat dog food. But I was wondering if regular canned tuna or evaperated milk would hurt her until I can go get her something else to eat. I know you can't give them milk, but is the evaporated milk ok, or the tuna or canned meat. That is all I have in the house right now. Please help me!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Nibbler is on a distinguished road
she shouldnt be away from her mommy that is much to young . I dont know if she should eat canned meat maybe someone else can help you with that. But why isnt she with her mommy and siblings?

By Anonymous
Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Why do you have a 5-week-old puppy? Have you called the vet? You need an actual puppy milk replacement, not cow's milk. At that age she can eat dog food but if she isn't eating, she needs vet care immediately. No, canned tuna is not appropriate.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
canned dog food would be ok, but milk is still needed and it needs to be puppy milk you can get it at pet stores and even walmart. and you should never adopt a dog that young if that is what you did.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Part of the Pack

Zylca is on a distinguished road
While it is a bit young to take a baby from it's mother and siblings a lot of folks don't know this. Keep em away from other dogs to avoid picking up or spreading a serious illness.

Use the puppy milk formula and avoid solid foods if it wasn't weaned. Mixing the formula and some quality canned food is what I will suggest. Pups should be able to eat a semi solid meal at 5 weeks. I too would be concerned if the pup isn't eating and would suggest contacting a vet. I remember them to be like tiny vacums at that age.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylca View Post
While it is a bit young to take a baby from it's mother and siblings a lot of folks don't know this.

Well, it's also illegal, so that's part of the concern.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 10-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Part of the Pack

Illegal? For real?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylca View Post
Illegal? For real?

That's the case in pretty much every state that I know of. You normally aren't allowed to remove a puppy from it's mother before 8 weeks of age.

I have a list bookmarked somewhere...let me look...

Here you go: http://www.animallaw.info/articles/o...ysaletable.htm

If they adopted/purchased this puppy, the person selling it was breaking the law. It's very possible that there are other circumstances but with so little background info given, it's hard to say!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
That's the case in pretty much every state that I know of. You normally aren't allowed to remove a puppy from it's mother before 8 weeks of age.

I have a list bookmarked somewhere...let me look...

Here you go: http://www.animallaw.info/articles/o...ysaletable.htm

If they adopted/purchased this puppy, the person selling it was breaking the law. It's very possible that there are other circumstances but with so little background info given, it's hard to say!

Heh.. never would have known. I don't see anything on my home state so that's probably why it's news to me. I'll have to ask my sister about Texas law since she works for the local shelter.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
its not here in iowa, but it causes serious issues to be taken before 8 weeks, and 10-12 is much better. from 6-12 weeks they learn a lot of manners from the other dogs.

We had a puppy at the shelter (i work at the local shelter) that was a husky lab mix, i swear it was 5-6 weeks old but the owner dropped it off said it was 8. I seriously doubt it though.

Tags
5 week old puppy, what do i feed her?