Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough

Lunging at cars

I have an American Cocker Spaniel named Sophie. She's the best dog ever...obedient, calm, snuggly, playful, smart, well socialized, a good watch dog, etc. However, I have a bit of a problem...she hates cars. It seems to be getting worse and when I walk her she tries to chase them and sometimes growls or barks. It's weird, though, because it's only certain cars. Usually cars that are speeding and/or silver in color. And she only tries to chase them if they're going the same way as us...not if they're coming towards us.

When I see a car coming I keep her on a short leash and talk to her gently or give a command. This works with most cars, but not the silver/speeding ones. She knows 'sit', 'stay', 'come', 'heel', and 'down' but won't listen when there's a car she doesn't like...

Any ideas? I'd rather not use food in training but I suppose if that's the only thing that'd work I could try it...

Thanks in advance .

Oh, and Sophie is almost two years old and spayed...if that helps at all.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
I don't know what you could do to stop her.I do know that when a dog chases a car or lunges and the car keeps going, the dog thinks they have chased the car away.Chasing things is in their instinct.Maybe she is protecting you.

My sister's dog Coco does the exact same thing, but mainly to buses and trucks.He lunges out barking and growling and just freaking out at it.He is an 8 yr old dog and they never trained him not to do it, so thats why I have no advice...but Coco looks proud once the "big mean truck or bus" passes by...

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I don't know what you could do to stop her.I do know that when a dog chases a car or lunges and the car keeps going, the dog thinks they have chased the car away.Chasing things is in their instinct.Maybe she is protecting you.

My sister's dog Coco does the exact same thing, but mainly to buses and trucks.He lunges out barking and growling and just freaking out at it.He is an 8 yr old dog and they never trained him not to do it, so thats why I have no advice...but Coco looks proud once the "big mean truck or bus" passes by...

Yes, she is trying to protect me...I just worry that one day she'll get loose or something and get hit .

I've been trying to find info online but with not much luck so far...

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 03-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

smilingrl19 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure this will work for your puppy, but they say to do it for crate training, and even for babies...
Don't react to the situation, almost like ignoring him when he does it, so he doesn't get the idea that something is wrong, like whne you tlaking calmly to him I don't know what you are saying, and maybe you aren't saying anything other then what a good dog she is, but maybe if you ignore it she'll realize its not a big deal and she will eventually ignore them. I know this is what they say to do for barking or whining in the crate. Well good luck.

Mommy to 10 's

2 Kitties

3 doggies

1 fish

1 snake

1 iguana and 2 geckos

Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
I'm not sure this will work for your puppy, but they say to do it for crate training, and even for babies...
Don't react to the situation, almost like ignoring him when he does it, so he doesn't get the idea that something is wrong, like whne you tlaking calmly to him I don't know what you are saying, and maybe you aren't saying anything other then what a good dog she is, but maybe if you ignore it she'll realize its not a big deal and she will eventually ignore them. I know this is what they say to do for barking or whining in the crate. Well good luck.

Thanks, but I already tried that. It did indeed work for most cars, but not ones that are silver in color or speeding =/.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 04-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

sara8 is on a distinguished road
i don't have any ideas one of my dogs ignores them and one of them is scared of them(we just rescued him so he's not used to all of the real world yet) maybe if you just stay persistant with ignoring the behavior or we have been teaching Reggie the leave it command when we want him to ignore something--mostly other dogs in his case and that seems to be working. with our beagle ignoring an unwanted behavior worked the best. hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

sara8 is on a distinguished road
ok maybe i do have an idea

Tags
cocker spaniel, crate training