Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

PicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nice

Lyme Disease Vaccine - Swelling/Sore - Help?

Lil'Samson (rottweiler puppy at 60.9 lbs) got a Lyme Disease Vaccine about 3 hours ago.

His thigh has some pretty good swelling now and if you rub the area gently he "nibbles" at your hand to encourage you to stop touching it. He has also whined several times when getting up or down as well as holding that leg fairly stiff when trying to walk. For the most part he just wants to stay still but the dog that he is can't resist following his caretaker around so every time I get up to move he feels the need to do so too

Is this a fairly common reaction? I'm not sure if a cold or warm compress would help and not sure which of the two temps to try.

Chelsea has a vet appt with the doc in the morning so if it's not better by then I figure I'll take him in though I admit to being a worry wort and have actually considered the ER ... is it a bit too soon to be thinking like that? Cuz if it's normal I'd rather give him the night to rest...I've just never seen this type of reaction before with the other dogs...

Breathing and heart rate seem fine btw... no panting or anything like that and eyes et al seem normal. It's just the swelling around the shot area and the stiffness/pain he's feeling...

Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
*nodding* I've seen it before - warmth will help circulate the vaccine through the muscle, so go with the warm compress. It's sore just like yours would be if you got a shot and the swelling may be due to a mild reaction.

Just give him lots of love, mom. If it's not better by morning, ask your vet if they want to see him when you take Chelsea in.

Last edited by Jade; 11-15-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

PicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nicePicOlio is just really nice
You're so smart Jade

I buckled right after posting and called the ER lol. They said the same thing... if not better by morning take him with otherwise 50mg of Benadryl and warmth for tonight should take the edge off

I just dosed him up and am now heading to the microwave to heat up a nice aroma smelly thing that feels so good on the neck after a long day and donating it to his backside

Baby is going to snuggle with me tonight...I feel so bad for him...he knows how to look so pathetic and tonight he's putting 100% into that look

Thanks sooooo much for the quick response!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Any time. Adavantages of working for an ER vet. I can't tell you a darn thing about a heat cycle or fleas, but I'm good to have around for a vaccine reaction.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:11 PM

kayharley is on a distinguished road

Thank you

I became a new member to this forum because of this post. My poor Cairn just had a lyme vaccine a few hours ago and all of a sudden she could barely move her left leg. I never saw that reaction from any previous vaccines.
I have her resting now with a nice heating pad on low...
Thank you !

Tags
heat cycle, lyme disease