Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 03-07-2004, 05:51 PM

Marioski is on a distinguished road

My dog limps after he wakes up?

Hello everyone!!!

I'm new to this board so let me introduce myself to everyone. My name is Mario and I currently am an owner of a 8 mth old Puggle (Pug and Beagle mix) named Harley. We also have 2 ferrets, Zoe and Romeo, in the household as well.

Back onto the subject line. Yes, exactly what it states, Harley limps everytime he wakes up from a long sleep. This only happens on his left back leg and he will limp on it for around 10-15 minutes and afterwards he has full use of it as if nothing every happenned and he's back to being an 8th old puppy and running and jumping around everywhere. I originaly noticed this a few weeks ago and had taken him to the vet for a check up. Harley checked out fine and the vet is thinking it might be some form of arthritis, but at such a young age I'm trying to see if it can be something else. Just this week, it seems as if his case may have gotten worse as he has begun lifting his leg up for a few minutes before putting any pressure on it. My concern is starting to escalate as I think this maybe somethng more serious. Any idea's why he might be doing this?

Mario

PS. Btw.. Here's a few pictures of Harley

At 3 1/2 mths of age

one of his more favorite spots

being playful
Old 03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
Well, I'd say it could be multiple things. My first thought was that he has had a growth spurt. It is pretty typical for large breeds, not sure on the small though, for them to have a growth spurt that causes them to "outgrow" the protective coating on their bones. This tends to cause temporary lameness in the leg. From what i've seen it will last a few weeks, and generally goes from one limb to another.

It could also be arthritis, but that seems unlikely at his age. Anything is possible. It could also be hip/elbow displacia problem. My best suggestion would be to have your vet xray the limb to get the best determination.

In the meantime if it is really painful for him you could give him some baby asprin (not tylenol.. asprin) to help ease the pain.

We'll be thinking of your baby. And welcome to PT

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
(Please call your veterinarian for a dosage of baby aspirin to administer and only do so under his/her supervision.)
Old 03-08-2004, 01:48 PM

Thanks... At least now I will be armed with some knowledge when I do go to the vet. I'm going to keep an eye on him a few more days to see if its something that's going to get worse.

It seems like this conditions comes and goes as today when he woke up in the morning he was not limping at all. He just got up, ran down the stairs and was waiting by the door to be let out. No limping what so ever. I don't think it is painful for him because when he was limping badly the other day I sort of massaged his leg in that area and he was letting me touch it and just stood there not pulling away from me. He didn't even care what I was doing.

The vet did an examination for some type of muscle or leg displacement and he checked out fine for that as well. I really do hope it is not arthritis at such a early age for him

Mario
Old 03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
I don't have any advice but your dog is absoltuely gorgeous!! Good luck!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:08 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to all
No advice here either - but your doggie is gorgeous! Absolutely adorable!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Proud New Mommy

Rocheal will become famous soon enoughRocheal will become famous soon enough
I was thinking a growth spurt also, or arthritis.

He is really cute!! I can't believe you have a beagle/pug! (we have a pug)

Good luck, and keep us posted
Old 03-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Formula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really nice
you know...my yorkie had this problem in both of her legs around the same age and it turned out that she had a genetic disease called Legg Perthus. this can only be seen by x-ray. it's where the ball of the hip joint begans to deteriorate because the body doesn't supply it any blood. it only affect these 2 parts of the body (1 for each hip). you may want to get it cked! this is exactly what happened to penny!!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
you know...my yorkie had this problem in both of her legs around the same age and it turned out that she had a genetic disease called Legg Perthus. this can only be seen by x-ray. it's where the ball of the hip joint begans to deteriorate because the body doesn't supply it any blood. it only affect these 2 parts of the body (1 for each hip). you may want to get it cked! this is exactly what happened to penny!!

So what was the outcome?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Formula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really nice
she had to have hip surgery on both hips. they just completely removed the ball on the hip bone. her leg is held onto her body by muscle only. she gets around fine, but does limp occasionally. even though she doesn't need it, i trained her to use a step to get on the couch because it's not good for her to jump up and down. when she was allowed on the bed, i had 2 big steps for her. she still runs and plays etc...she just limps. she may need pain meds when she is much older.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Newborn Pup

alicia is on a distinguished road

Question about Harley

Hi Mario,
I am interested in a puggle myself. I can't find a breeder ANYWHERE on the east coast.
Can I email you personally about some questions I have?
Please let me know your email address.
Thanks! Alicia
ps. he is so cute!! I am glad he is no longer limping as much when he wakes up!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:40 PM

reincarnatedcat is on a distinguished road
well.. i can't really help you with this problem. my best guess would also be arthritis and growth spurt but i know that your probably sick of hearing that. anyways, lovely looking dog. just gorgeous. i love the way he looks.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Deja is just really niceDeja is just really niceDeja is just really niceDeja is just really niceDeja is just really nice
Hi Mario
Given her age, I'd be wondering if she injured herself somehow and you weren't aware of it. Could she have jumped off something tall like the bed or a chair, or hurt herself playing rough with another dog?
I'd also think of something congenital such as hip displasia or some form of arthitis (like everyone else has alre).

Even though the symptoms seem to come and go I think a vet visit is in order. Given his age, I'd want to know what was causing it and perhaps prevent anything more serious developing in the future.

Jade is correct, check with your vet before administering any analgesic (baby aspirin) to get the exact and proper dosage.

I'm sorry Harley is having this problem and I hope you can get to the bottom of it and put an end to it quickly.
Good Luck and let us know what the vet says. I'll be hoping it's something simple to take care of and that it's temporary and easy to cure
Give her a belly scratch for me and tell her I hope she feels better real soon.

The pictures of her are adorable She looks like such a sweetie!
Good Luck!

Tags
vet visit