Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Blacksheep is on a distinguished road

natural pest control help

Alright guys. My dogs have been on Brewer's yeast for a while now with great success. However it looks like the fleas will be bad this year. I mean horrible.

I found two fleas so far (not bad for three dogs since its been warm out!) but my problem is that the fleas are really biting. They aren't being infested (that is...no flea dirt or visible fleas other than those two) however everyone is still itchy and getting bit! Its nice to know that they are jumping off because my dogs are icky but...they are still getting bit.

I'm on my last straw here...seriously about to go pick up Frontline. Any help?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

AnimalFamily is on a distinguished road
Actually, we use natural treatments whenever possible with our animals.

Internally, if you give your dogs garlic on a regular basis this will help with the fleas. It is safe for dogs but toxic to cats, so make sure your kitties [if you have them] don't get into the dog food!

Externally, I would suggest: in a vinegar base mix in a few drops each: eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, citronella oil, cedar oil. Any combination or all of the previous oils should work well. You can spray your dog down with this as needed. Vinegar makes for a shiny coat as well.
If you don't want to spray them down, you can put some of the oils on their collar instead, if they wear one.
Also, I would suggest cedar chips in their bedding. This is very good for repelling fleas!

P.S. Keep using the brewers yeast as well!!
Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community !!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM
It's all for them

somebody is on a distinguished road
Other than the garlic, which is also toxic to dogs as well as cats, that sounds like some good ideas.

There is also food grade diatomaceous earth.

here are some brands

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...de%2Caps%2C158
Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would edit previous post if I could. The subject of garlic toxicity is still being debated. In very small doses some say it is safe. As usual it is up to each individual to do the research before taking anyones' advice about anything.
I will admit I did not know about the toxicity potential in dogs, but depending on what literature you read opinions vary.
I would recommend leaning on the side of caution and don't give garlic to your dog, since you don't know how much is too much.
Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community !!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Blacksheep is on a distinguished road
I feed brewer's yeast pills (which have garlic.) I guess I could have said that lol.

We use an oil based spray but I'm thinking of making my own. Do you use vinegar as a carrier or do you mix it with water and the oils? We also have catnip growing and will be using some of that as well.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

I use the vinegar as a carrier and I just use it straight [mixed with the oils], but you and I both know it ain't the most pleasant smelling stuff on the planet ;(, so if you wanted to dilute it I'm sure it would still work.
Coincidentally, I was just reading something on another forum. This lady is using 'rosemary' as a repellent for mites on her hamsters. I guess she uses it regularly as a pest repellent on different pets for various pests. I'm thinking of trying it out. I was going to use it as a 'rinse' after bathing my dog and see if that helps with the fleas.
I had to break down recently and use a chemical flea killer on my dog, as she has developed an allergy [apparently] to flea dander. She was beginning to develop hot spots on her back from itching. I told the vet she only had one or two fleas [we flea comb her regularly], but apparently that was enough to cause a breakout. So I reluctantly gave her the medication to buy myself a little time to get ahead of the situation, but I don't want to rely on this.
The oils I mentioned above have worked well for me in the past, but I will admit I still saw the occasional flea on her. I never thought that to be much of a problem. It was a welcome trade off to over-the-counter chemicals. As long as she wasn't infested with them I could stay ahead of the game, but now apparently one flea is one too many, arghhhh!
Another reason I mentioned the vinegar as a carrier is because it won't leave your dog all greasy/oily like the oil based spray will, and vinegar will make her coat nice and shiny. Heck I have used it on my own hair as a rinse in the past.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM
It's all for them

somebody is on a distinguished road
Tea tree oil is very toxic for both dogs and cats.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tea-tree-oil/

All essential oils are toxic to cats, so if you are spraying them (dog safe ones, not tea tree oil) on dogs, you will have to keep the cats away from the dogs, and away from anywhere the dogs tend to lie down where the oil may be left as residue.

Last edited by somebody; 05-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Okay, well according to that list 'eucalyptus' is bad as well. Aloe vera is also on that list...so maybe I shouldn't be the one to be reccommending what essential oils [if any] are acceptable.
Maybe you should just go with diatomaceous earth, and disregard my info above.
Seriously, I would feel terrible if I gave bad advice and anything happened to your dogs!!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM

puppy is on a distinguished road

Need Advice.. Thanks

Does anybody know about the ImmuneIQ test here? I want to get it for my labrador but would like to hear from someone who purchased it. I am considering buying the ImmuneIQ test. Found out about it in Animal Wellness magazine article. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wishbone is on a distinguished road
Heard about that immuneiq but I don't know how it works so well but looks like a good testing kit to check pet health problem.

Visit - My Photos - for fun and tips for pets!
Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 PM

vnairp11 is on a distinguished road
shower him once a week with garlic and olive oil, that seems to do the trick for me.