Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Playful Pup

NjMalta is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Old Maltese acting depressed from new Maltese puppy :(

Hi, nice forum here.

I will start out by saying I have a 13 year old Maltese male.
He has been living with me for 13 years with no other dogs, other than visits from relatives and friends with dogs, which he loves to play with. He has been suffering from arthritis lately, but still manages to move quite well.
I thought since he loves to play with other dogs I would get a puppy.
I just brought home a 10 week old Maltese puppy last week and he is acting very depressed. He will not eat his dog food or listen to me.
He looks very dazed like he is on drugs.
He made some whining noises while tryingto get out of bed other day, so I took him tothe Vet today.
Vet did some blood work( which results will be back tomorrow) and an xray.
Vet informs me that he has back problems and spine issues, but not that serious. also has signs of heart disease but she also said nothing to really worry about since he is an old dog.

Vet told me to separate the puppy from him for a while and he should soon come around. When the puppy tries to walk up to him, he just turns his head and walks the other way. No signs of aggression or anything, just ignoring him.
From the very first moment they met he ignored the puppy almost like he was afraid of it.
I broke the #1 rule by intrducing them in the house, but I had no choice. .. it was cold, wet, dark and late when it all went down.
I don't know if this is a wild coincidence or if the new puppy is the cause of all this.
So I guess my question is, is there anything else I can do to make them get along, or do I have to find the new puppy a home I have become so attatched to the new guy and it's only been a week!

Someone please help.
-NJM
Old 04-14-2004, 03:57 AM
Playful Pup

pic

BTW: here is a pic of him the 1st night I got him
The red you see is stains near his eyes, which are gone now.. he is clean as a whistle
Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Playful Pup

:(

Well, I just got the results back and I am crying
He has advanced kidney failure and is not regenerating white blood cells.
They said if we hospitilize him and give him fluids, it might help, but his case is really severe and would most likely fail when we brought him back home.
OMG I am so hearbroken I just want to cry myself to sleep.
Vet said it would be wise to end his suffering now and not let him die at home.

I can't type anymore, sorry.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

capnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the rough
Njmalta, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. He has 13 happy years with you. His quality of life is slipping, and it is such a hard choice to make. I can't imagine how your heart is breaking. I wish you good luck and the strength to do what you feel is right.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
I am very sorry that you have to go through this and have to make a decision. You have every right to cry and be upset. Just remember, like Capn said, he has had 13 great years with you. Good luck with your decision. Remember, we are all here for you.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

KaiyasMom will become famous soon enough
Njmalta very sorry to hear about the hard thing that's front of you but once again 13 years is a nice long life! It may be even harder with him but at least you'll have the new pup to help you grieve for the loss of your older dog! Good luck . . . we'll all have you in mind!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:55 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to all
I'm so sorry. What awful news. I know how you're feeling and that your heart is breaking. I will say a prayer for you...
Old 04-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Playful Pup

Thank you all for your kind words. I can't stop thinking about all the good times we had. Yeah I know, I am gratefull he was with me for that long, he has been such a big part of my life.
I just went to Burger King ( his favorate) and got a hamburger. He won't even touch it
I want to be with him one more day, tomorrow I will make the apt.
I am a grown man in tears over hear, it hurts so bad.
I feel so sick right now.
Once I figure out how to post a picture, I will post one of Dylan and the new puppy for you to see.

again, thanks for the kind words. I hope his soul enters the new guy.

-NJM
Old 04-14-2004, 02:03 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Pure14K has a spectacular aura aboutPure14K has a spectacular aura about
I am so sorry for the bad news. I know exactly how much you are hurting right now. I recently (2 months ago) lost my dog that I had had for almost my whole life. His health deteriorated very quickly (like he was 'fine' and then 5 days later he died!) and we had planned on having him put to sleep. He died in my fiance's arms that day and I miss him so much still. I wish you peace with your decision and just know, he won't be hurting anymore
Old 04-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
I'm so sorry...I'm here for you and you'll be in my thoughts.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 04-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

SandysMom will become famous soon enoughSandysMom will become famous soon enough
Oh my gosh, I'm so, so, sorry. It's always hard to lose pets.

{{{NjMalta and her maltese}}}

~Nikki and Sandy~
Old 04-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
I am so, so sorry to hear about your dog. You are in my thoughts and prayers. We are all here for you always!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

elfomatic is a jewel in the roughelfomatic is a jewel in the roughelfomatic is a jewel in the roughelfomatic is a jewel in the rough
That's tough to hear ... I know he must have been a big part of your life but I hope you take comfort in the fact that his suffering will be ended soon. I'm sure he will always be with you and now you will have a new little guy to keep you company -- you have to be strong for him. Let him take care of you, too. Puppies are good at that.

I know it hurts like heck ... try to take it one day at a time. Concentrate on getting through today ... then tomorrow focus on getting through tomorrow. Someday you will be able to look back and know that you got through this.

Again, I'm terribly sorry about your Dylan .. You both will be in my thoughts.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Playful Pup

He is in peace now

He is gone
I just got back from the Vet. He went so peacefully.
I stayed there while they gave him the injection, he looked into my eyes until his very last breath.
I know he is at peace now and no more pain.
I am going to miss him so much.

Thanks again for all your kind words, they really meant a lot to me at this rough time. Even tho I am a newbie here, you guys treated me great.
I am going to P-shop a picture with Dylan and Dj for you all to see.

-NJM
Old 04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
I am so, so sorry. I know your heart is broken. Just know that he knows how much you love him. We are always here for you, we are one big family here at Paw-talk. I'm so glad you found PT! If there is anything we can do for you, let us know. I'm just a PM away if you need to talk. ((NJM)) hugs

Tags
dog food, older dog