Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM

BabyBetty is on a distinguished road
Question

Older dog jealous of new puppy

As i discussed in my other thread I have a 4 yr old cocker spaniel/king charles (has been the only dog in the house for 4 yrs) we just recently rescued a new puppy (3 months old) German Shapard/Beagle. The older dog (princess) was ok with the puppy (diesel) on the 1st day (Tuesday) they slept beside each other and she kept licking his face. Diesel likes Princess and tries to play with her. On the 2nd and 3rd day (today) he has been worse. Princess growls at him and nips him. Diesel will not fight back he just lays there. When she plays he wants to play with her and then she gets mad, if we pet him and not her she gets mad only sometimes. She kisses him a lot though. If we seprate them in idfferent rooms they cry for each other. When we crate Diesel at night she will sleep by the crate. If we leave them alone together they are fine and do there own thing. So it is like they get a long 90% of the time and the other 10% they do not.

Some people say Princess is being jealous, other say you just need to ignore them and they will learn, and others are saying she is trying to "mother" the puppy.

I'm not sure what to do or what I should do any advice? (any articles to look at, dvd's to watch, books to read)

I've google topics, looked up things on youtube, even wrote the dog whisper. Im just having trouble finding anything that relates to our problem- they get a long sometimes but not others.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Lovin' my pack!

sk8rchik13ny is on a distinguished road
I just brought home my cocker pup 2 days ago.I can kinda understand what your going through.
I have a 4yr old golden sheperd mix and she just doesn't seem to care that hes here.
My other cocker spaniel is 5 months old and shes the one I'm having issues with.I have heard him yelp before and thought she went after him.Turns out,that when she tries to play with him,she's rough with him.She is so used to playing with the 4yr old,and they play harder with each other.I have to keep an eye on them.He's scared of her.That's why he yelped.He's not as fast and coordinated as the other 2 and I dont think she understands that hes a baby.The 4yr old acts motherley towards the 5month girl,just doesn't care about this new guy.the girls even sleep seperate from him.I put the 2 cockers in the same cage at night(its big enough for a dane!) and they sleep on opposite ends.
I have had cockers for 14yrs and my first one would see so many come and go,she seemed to get used to them.
I'm sure your 4yr old is feeling a little jealousy.It should go away as the new pup gets older.
Keeping an eye on them,or possible seperation would be the only thing I would recommend to make sure they don't hurt each other,and don't show favoritizm to either one.Treating them as equals will hopefully help make the older one understand pack order and that your leader,and make the transition of being together should go smoother as time goes on.
I hope this helps a little.

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pea...60649663950771
Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Thank you. I will try all this and everyone know how things go later on
Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
It doesn't sound like she hates the puppy or anything...remember, if she wanted to actually hurt the puppy, she would. It sounds like she's teaching the puppy, honestly! And it's good that he's not fighting back . He's supposed to be lower in the pecking order since he's a baby .

I'm sure there's some jealously involved and you should always supervise them together. But I think she'll get used to him.

My Cocker hated my mom's dog when we first brought her home. She was much worse than what you're describing. But now they get along great, they just needed some time .

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm happy to announce today they were getting along and playing together so the cocker is getting used to the puppy it is just taking time. and thank you everyone for the advice.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Lovin' my pack!

It seems like when we first bring them home,they're gonna hate each other forever!!

I'm glad to hear they're doing great together.

My 5month old cocker is playing with my new boy more,and my 4yr old too!!

My new little guy will stand his ground,its quite something to watch.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM

I'm happy to hear your dogs as well are getting along. I though my dogs were going to hate each other forever also.

The cocker stands her ground not so much the German Shepard - next door to us they have 2 chihuahua and the older one today decided she didnt want to play with the new pup and "attacked" him as best as she could and the pup just sat there not sure what to do - so at least with him going to be a big dog he doesnt fight back with little dogs.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBetty View Post
I'm happy to hear your dogs as well are getting along. I though my dogs were going to hate each other forever also.

The cocker stands her ground not so much the German Shepard - next door to us they have 2 chihuahua and the older one today decided she didnt want to play with the new pup and "attacked" him as best as she could and the pup just sat there not sure what to do - so at least with him going to be a big dog he doesnt fight back with little dogs.

arrgghh!! just when they seem to be doing great,Misty has to be stupid!! She made him yelp again. She thinks that he's the same age as her and keeps tryin to play with him like she does with my older mix,but her jaws so much bigger than his right now,and when they play, and she "play bites" him..he freaks out,thinkin shes gonna bite him..oh i was so mad at her..yelled at her.Now shes got that sad mopey depressed look,like what did i do..i was just playing...ill get through her head yet!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:08 PM

My cocker does the same look and then I feel bad but she has to learn. So far today has been a good day for us we will she what tomorrow brings. The pup goes to the vet tomorrow so he might not be a happy camper.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBetty View Post
My cocker does the same look and then I feel bad but she has to learn. So far today has been a good day for us we will she what tomorrow brings. The pup goes to the vet tomorrow so he might not be a happy camper.

I've had cockers since I was 14...we bred years ago.I had 5 that I took care of myself at one time. I've trained them all since puppies.They all turned out great.I'm not worried bout these two now.It's just really frustrating at times when you get that feeling like they're never gonna learn.I've had my throat go sore before growling at them before.It's a weird method,probably not recommended by anyone,but i feel it establishes me as pack leader.Especially when you have male and female and 5 all sharing the same living space.

Well I hope the vet visit doesnt make your pup too upset.I think he'll forget as soon as he gets back in the car.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 PM

Who cares if anyone recommends it as long as it works & ur not hurting the dogs. For the past couple days i was getting frustrated that they were never going to get along.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Lovin' my pack!

I just dont want to come off as a bad dog owner.
I use that method,but i have cockers.
I wouldn't dare tell a pit,rott or shepherd owner to try this.
I have to be careful as my breed is more of a submissive
peeing breed.my girl cocker had that really bad when I
first got her.Shes outgrowing it just fine,but with this new
boy pup,I dont want to start disciplining her to the point
where she resumes the submissive piddling.Pups are fun
and cute,but they are alot of work too.I have 11keets and
a tiel too.I also have a husband and an 8month old son.
I have a very busy household.I figured it'll be worth it later
on getting all the baby/puppy stages out of the way at the
same time.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 PM

wow you sound like you have your hands full. I just have the two dogs and a fiance. Our two dogs are our kids, lol. yes I would not try the whole growling thing on a pit or German Shepard also. I'vr had two other cockers beside the one i have now, i love them and think they are just so cute and lovable.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Ya.Have my hands full,but wouldn't trade any part of it.
I cant wait to see pics of your pups...
I dont have any abums yet,but posted pics in threads.maybe when I get some time I will.I have a 21hr work weekend ahead of me.Every weekend!!
Miss my crew at home,but it's sorta a break too.My husband has weekends off,so he's Mr mom,lol!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM

I have 19 more post to go before I can post pics (i believe) I also have not got around to making an album mayb I'll try this weekend. Well enjoy your weekend and your break.

Tags
jealous