Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Osa pee pee everywhere and dreading vet visit

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  tarita2004 
#1 ·
I think Osa my GSD/mix is sick. I suspect a bladder infection.
We have been keeping her inside the house today cuz she is afraid of the fireworks and we have noticed this evening that each time she gets up there is a puddle of pee under her. So far its happened 3 times. One time she got up and wagged her tail and splashed pee all over us on the couch. Ick. At first we thought it was because she was afraid of the noises outside but she has never done this while there were fireworks going on outside. As long as she is inside with us she is fine with the noise. She also is licking her pee pee place all the time and seems uncomfortable. I can understand that because bladder infections are very, very uncomfortable like anyone who has had one can tell you. Poor Osa. :(

She never pees in the house, not since she was a puppy and I have been taking her outside all day long so that she can pee pee and poo so its not because she needs to be taken out more.

I will call the vet in the morning and let them know that I am going to bring her in. I am dreading going to the vets.

She absolutly HATES the vets office and it is hard. I have to drag her into the office, literally and she shakes and whines and climbs all over the chairs to look out the window. People in the office look at her and feel so sad for her.

Even when she had an ear problem, which turned out to be foxtails in her ear, they had to sedate her to be able to look into her ears.
I have to put a muzzle on her because she has tried to bite the vet tech when he takes her temperature you know where. When he tried to get the thermometer in she squirted stuff, stinky stuff all over the wall and him and the floor while she tried to bite him. It was not pretty. They always have to sedate her to do any kind of procedure on her.
I always end up bringin her home afterwards a bit sedated still and she wobbles to the car and into the house. Poor Osa.

My poor Osa hates all visits to the vet ever since she had a bad experience when she was 6 months old. She cut herself across her chest and forearm running thru the backyard and running into a piece of metal that was sticking out of the ground cuz they were putting up a patio cover. The metal piece was going to be attached to a pillar type thing and we thought it was covered with a bucket but we think that she knocked it over somehow. Anyway, it was pretty bad, blood everywhere and skin and hair hanging so I had to rush her to the emergency pet hospital and we had to leave her there overnight. They told me that she was totally crazy and they had a hard time with her. I think they might have hurt her in some way. She was very frightened and since then she is super scared of the vets office.

Well, I hope its only a bladder infection that they can treat with antibiotics fairly easy.

Just wanted to let ya know about my Osa

See less See more
#2 ·
My dog Dina also goes crazy when going to the vets, she tries to bite and jump of the examination table and whines etc. I really hate taking her because she seems to suffer so much. But it's for their own good.

I hope your Osa gets better soon and it's not anything really bad.

#3 ·
our dog used to climb under the chairs and things, so our vet would trick him and come out side and pet him and talk to him and stab him with a shot then talk to him and be all aw who's the good boy look in the mouth, aw... can you lay down... draw blood... aw look over there... look in the ear... heheh. hunter never knew he was at the vets except the smell but he was like well hi doctor dane...

#4 · (Edited)
Well, we got back from the vet a while ago.
Because of her age, she is 8.. they took blood tests and a urinalysis to make sure there is no underlying cause for her incontinence. He said it has something to do with hormone changes. I should get the results back by Monday if not tomorrow.

The vet gave her 2 types of meds to start...Amox, antibiotic and Proin, for the incontinence. Both meds twice a day.

After the tests they should tell me if she needs to continue the antibiotics or not. If its urinary incontinence then I guess she would continue on the proin supplement.

Anyone have experience with their dog and urinary incontinence??

#6 ·
Thanks Mulder :)

I have been reading about it a bit and have found that is not that uncommon for this to happen to female dogs that have been spayed. It can occur anywhere from immediately after spaying to ten years later. And that larger breeds, GSD like her, seem to be more prone to it.

Here is a link I was reading about Urinary Incontinence in dogs.
http://www.dogaware.com/incontinence.html

#7 ·
Yep, my doberman is 9 years old and has episodes of leaking. Some days it's horrible and other days it doesn't happen at all. The vet gave us some meds to give her but the side effects are restlessness and excitability. My poor dog was so revved up and anxious that I thought she was going to have a nervous break down. Needless to say we stopped the meds and will just have to deal with the leaking. She has her own cheapie doggie bed that she lays on when she's in the living room with us and it saves on the carpet. Every couple of weeks we toss it and get a new one ($8 at Tractor Supply Company).

#8 · (Edited)
Poor gal, I hope she gets better quick. My first dachshund, Louie experienced incontinence when he was around 14-15 years old. They do have doggie diapers, but I don't know how well they would work for a female. We used to give Louie a special blanket to lay on so we could wash it when he had a problem.

#9 ·
the side effects are restlessness and excitability
Yes, I did read about those side effects listed on the bottle and I was saying to myself...oh great, like she needs to be MORE excited and hyper! Then on that link I read that they can get grouchyish. I dont like that and neither would she.

I did give it to her (ppp, proin) yesterday, saturday, and seemed like she couldnt settle down. She would lay down but have this look on her face like she wasnt really resting. I dunno if it was from the vet visit that she was revved up about or if it was the proin.
I only gave her one this morning, sunday, while she was in the house and she seemed okay. I am not sure if I will keep her on it cuz of the side effects and it depends what the results are too. I should hear from them by tomorrow, if not I will call them.

#10 ·
OH OSA!!! :hug: :heart:

I bet she'll be just fine! :)

But i do have a story bout my doggy back home Reba if you ever care to hear it.
HUGS LUV! :heart:

#12 ·
Thanks for the luv, hugs and concern for my Osita :D

Update for Osa.

I called this afternoon for the results and the vet said that her potassium levels are a little low so they want her to take some RenaKare, potassium tablets, 3 tablets 2x a day. They also want her to finish the amox.
When she finishes the bottle of potassium they want to check her levels again.

She is here by my side resting and trying to stay cool like the rest of us here. It is 105 degrees F. today. Its going to get up to 108 by wednesday! :sun:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.