Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 05-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Newborn Pup

Keeley81 is on a distinguished road

Parvo False Positive??

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the ELISA test they use to diagnose Parvo. I've heard many different stories about it's accuracy and I was wondering if it was possible to get a false positive on this test if your puppy had been vaccinated in the week she was tested. Also, has anyone had a problem with Coccidia being misdiagnosed??
Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
I have never personally known anyone to get a false positive on a parvo test, but Jade will have a better answer for that since she works at a vet clinic.

As for the Cocidia, I have never questioned that. I would just treat for it. Better safe than sorry.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Newborn Pup

Well thus far, the vet won't check for coccidia...he said that the vomiting ruled that out. Everything I've read says the opposite. The breeder informed me that he's had a coccidia problem before and to have her checked. As for the parvo test, my puppy had the runs when I got her and she wasnt really eating. Then two days later she was vomitting. She was still playing and once she got to the vet, the tech said she didn't have a fever...that's why I was curious about the false positive. The vet said their's no chance...but I'd heard otherwise from the vet tech at a different clinic. I'm lost.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, a false positive is possible based on the vaccine timing.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/msmp/p...diagnosing.htm

It depends on the vaccine that was used and when it was given before the test was done. Typically before one week, it's a real positive if I remember right. After two weeks, I think it's a real positive as well. You might call the vaccine manufacturer if you have the vaccine sticker with your records. They can give you a definitive answer. Have they done a CBC? Parvo will usually grossly deplete white blood cells.

Coccidia can be hard to find, but the statement that vomiting ruled it out confuses me. The general GI upset it causes would seem to make them vomit as well, IMO. We've seen several vomiting and diarrhea afflicted patients come up as coccidia positive, if I remember right.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=680
There's a fact sheet on it.

I don't know, were it me I might seek another opinion or ask for specific clarification from your current veterinarian.

Here's a fact sheet on Parvo as well:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=583

Best of luck with your pup.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Newborn Pup

We took her to a different vet who confirmed she has coccidia. Even let me look through the microscope. Apparently it had gotten pretty bad. The vet I had originally taken her to made me feel stupid for asking if that's what she had and then obviously lied to me about whether or not she had been checked. She's at home and on medication for it right now...seems to be doing alright. She gets up and plays in between naps. She's still droopy but we're making sure she's getting plenty of fluids. She doesn't seem any worse than when I originally took her to the first vet. If she had coccidia AND parvo, wouldn't she be acting pretty sick? There's still diarrhea but there hasn't been any vomitting since we picked her up yesterday afternoon. The diarrhea is also not bad enough that she can't control it. She always manages to make it outside. Just seems to me like the initial vet may have given us the wrong diagnosis.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Chinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to behold
I don't know...Normally when a puppy comes in with vomitting and diarreah, we do BOTH fecal and parvo tests. Quite often they have one or more parasites in addition to parvo. Did you have a second parvo test done? At our clinic, if there is any question, we run the parvo test a second time to be on the safe side.
Also, you must remember, a puppy isn't fully protected from parvo with just one vaccine. I wouldn't recommend taking a puppy anywhere until 3rd set of vaccines are given to ensure they are fully protected. So if your pup has only had one vaccine, I'd redo the parvo test. Puppy still may have Coccidia, but if you miss the Parvo because you were too focused on the Coccidia, you may be in for some heartache
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at www.crosscreekchins.com
Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Playful Pup

meewolflover is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Parvo

We recently had our puppy die from Parvo. He had it when we got him. The day we got him we gave him a gave him a shot.But it was too late. He was 7weeks old. We had him about 2 weeks. then one friday when I got up in the morning. he was lethargic and was running a fever. Then I checked his stools and they were milky white and thick. Then he started vomiting. So I called the vet and took him right in. She asked what his diet was and I told her i have my dogs on the raw diet with other things that I cooked for them. She right away thought it was Salmonella. she had us bring in a stool sample too, to check for parasites. She gave us some pills and said come back if he got worse.Well 3AM Sunday morning he started having bloody stools. We rushd him to the vet hospital. The Emergency vet took a Parvo test and it came up Positive. We left him there to be treated. The next morning our vet called and told me that she could kick herself because she didn't take the Parvo test on him when we first brought him in on Friday. We had never been around Parvo. We didn't know much about it. But several people said she done wrong by not giving the Parvo test to rule it out. So Our little guy could have been on meds for Parvo instaed of Salmonella. He might have had a better chance against the Parvo. He suffered so much. He wasn't with us very long but we had already had him in our hearts. He didn't have parasites either. So we are upset and are looking for a new vet. So if you have a dog that is vomiting and has diarrhea (bloody or not ) be sure to have the vet take a Parvo test.Our vet didn't like that we partially used the raw diet for our dogs. I have used the raw food diet along with other things i cook or bake for over 10 yrs. None of our dogs ever got sick on it. I use only human grade food for my dogs. I haven't had a sick dog in over 13 yrs. And before that we had a dog die from cancer. That is the only sick dogs we have had. I started that diet because of our German Shepherd that we had to euthanize because of cancer. We were feeding her high priced dry and canned dog food.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

pitbullforever is on a distinguished road
coccidia is comenly missed in fecal samples however if most vets suspect it they either send out a sample to the blood lab they use or else just treat the dog.
and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)
3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM

sBrown is on a distinguished road
My dog had a parvo test and it was so faint as positive ont he tester. She was only had diahrea for 3 days and vomit 1 day and now im worried about her baby and my other dog. she had her shot in shelter 3 weeks before they tested her and baby got his last sunday how can I be sure its parvo not one of the others?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Blacksheep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
Yes, a false positive is possible based on the vaccine timing.

It depends on the vaccine that was used and when it was given before the test was done. Typically before one week, it's a real positive if I remember right. After two weeks, I think it's a real positive as well. You might call the vaccine manufacturer if you have the vaccine sticker with your records. They can give you a definitive answer. Have they done a CBC? Parvo will usually grossly deplete white blood cells.

Do you think false positives are due to MLVs then? I know its why SNAPs have to be done before vaccinating.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Englishcremedog is on a distinguished road
Parvo is a scary desease for a dog. It one of the reason's i'm religous about vacinations. My vet always tells me that there is no vaccine for a dog that already has parvo.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

AnimalFamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishcremedog View Post
Parvo is a scary desease for a dog. It one of the reason's i'm religous about vacinations. My vet always tells me that there is no vaccine for a dog that already has parvo.

To the best of my knowledge you're right Englishcremedog.
Our dog had Parvo when she was younger. We had a puppy die from it and our older dog contracted it from the puppy. The vet told us there was nothing they could do for her as far as a vaccination or shot to cure it. We just had to wait it out and give various meds to treat symptoms only.
This was absolutely the scariest thing I have ever been through with one of our dogs. Fortunatley she survived but we almost lost her a couple of times during the illness. She is one tough cookie and the most awesome dog you would ever want to meet!!
Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community !!

Tags
dog food, emergency vet, german shepherd, raw food diet, vet clinic, vet tech

You may also search for: