Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Playful Pup

meewolflover is on a distinguished road

Pleases pray for our puppy

We found out our puppy has Parvo. he is fighting for his life at the vets. They first thought he had Salmonella because I use the BARF diet. Whn I took him to the vet last Friday morning, he was vomiting and had diarrhea. I had never had this vet before. When I told her I used the BARF diet. She was upset about that. She didn't like that. But because of the diet she thought only about Salmonella. She did not test him for Parvo. She sent me home with some medicine and said if he gets worse bring him back in. We had taken a stool sample in with us. she had it checked for parasites, nothing else. So at 3:00 AM Sunday morning he started having bloody stools. We took him in as soon as we could get there. The vet on call took a 10 min Parvo test and it came back positive. So now he is fighting for his life. I am so upset with the first vet. I will never tell a vet that I use the BARF diet again. It clouds their decisions. I'm not new to the BARF diet I have used it for over 10 yrs. I've never had any dog get sick from it yet. And this puppy didn't get sick from it either. I'm sorry, I just have to blow off steam. Please, everybody please pray for our puppy, Geronimo. We got him March 20th, but he is already part of our family. We don't want to lose him. Dee
Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
Pups are tough lil' guys. They were built tough so they could survive. It sounds like you caught it pretty quick, so hopefully the vets can get him fixed up.

--------------------------

Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Nikko will become famous soon enough
Aww, I'm so sorry he got sick. I have seen many puppies die and a lot recover from parvo, unfortunatley it's only a 50/50 chance that they survive. It's so sad to see them like that. I really hope that he recovers fast. Can you share some pics of him?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Formula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really nice
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Was your pup vaccinated? Or is he too young?

That sucks that the Dr. didn't check for EVERYthing.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Angelnstuff will become famous soon enoughAngelnstuff will become famous soon enough
Aww poor baby, i hope hes feeling better soon How old is he?

My Furry Family
Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cazsamps is on a distinguished road
Aww poor puppy. I hope he gets better soon xxx
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
poor pup. good on you for being tough for him. i hope he pulls through okay *hugs*
Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Mallory has a spectacular aura aboutMallory has a spectacular aura about
I hope he's getting better. Thats awful about the first vet. Its terrible when you feel like you have no other choice but to believe what they say, because they've had the schooling... and then they make a misdiagnosis. I understand each vet is human and makes errors, but it seems like that vet just didn't want to take the time to look at everything first before jumping to conclusions.

Keep us updated on the little guy!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

chocolatepuppy is on a distinguished road
I will keep Geronimo in my prayers.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Playful Pup

meewolflover is on a distinguished road
We lost Geronimo today. I am so upset with the vet. We are looking for a another vet. We went to the administrater of the hospital, and made a complaint. they had another vet in there with us. He defended the vet that was taking care of Geronimo. He said he would have don the same thing that she done. So we knew it was'n doing any good. We just wanted Geronimo taken care of right, and we feel he wasn't. The 2 vets both said with Parvo the animal doesn't have milky white stools like Geronimo had. But my daughter said that is a lie. She has had 3 of her dogs die of Parvo. And they did. I have never been around Parvo before, so I didn't know. So now I'm even more upset that she did not give him a parvo test. I was on the computer last night trying to find out more about Parvo. a page came up. i want to tell all of you about. It is a company that makes natural remedies for animals. they have a remedy for Parvo called Parvaid. It is also used to prevent Parvo. they have a lot of testimonials about it. It is expensive but I think dogs have a good chance with it. according to the tstimonials it has saved a lot of dogs and puppies lives. The company is Amber Technology I Called them to order. They told me there was 4 stores here tat sold Parvaid. I got it too late to help our little boy but I can tell everybody about it. Their e-mail iswww.ambertech.com. I want to thank all of you for your prayers and good wishes. They say everything happens for a reason. Maybe his death was meant to help other precious puppies like him. i'm going to tell every body about Parvaid, so his death isn't in vain. Yrs ago after our beautiful 5 year old German Shepherd died of cancer. I swore I would try to find a better diet for my babies and find more natural remedies for them. That is why I started the BARF diet over 10 yrs ago. But I will not tell any vet that I use that diet anymore. In those yrs after our GS death I have helped quite a few people with their dogs with natural remedies and health problems because of the books I have and read. I guess that our GS Bear Bear was meant to die so I could help others. Thank all of you and God Bless all of you. Dee
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Formula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really niceFormula86 is just really nice
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you found that medicine, though. Good job. It's always important to get your dogs vaccinated for Parvo. Was lil Geronimo not old enough? Does that medicine you found help the ones not old enough for the vaccine?

Again, I'm so sorry.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Mallory has a spectacular aura aboutMallory has a spectacular aura about
I'm so sorry he didn't make it. Thanks for telling us all about Parvaid. I don't think we'll be getting any puppies around here soon, but its nice to know thats there's something out there like that...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cazsamps is on a distinguished road
I am sorry for your loss. RIP puppy xxx
Old 04-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
OMG i'm so sorry you lost your puppy, that's awful! *lots of hugs* i'm thinking of you, hope you feel better soon
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup.

Since others will read this I will give some tips also.

For future reference, pups really shouldn't go outside in high traffic areas until they are fully vaccinated. I don't let my pups go outside at all until they are vaccinated. Vaccinations are really important.

Here is a good website about parvo virus: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_...e_environ.html

You probably have some contamination in your house/outside, so you should take steps to "clean". That way your other dogs will be safer. Viruses aren't living entities like bacteria, so it can be tricky to neutralize them completely.

--------------------------

Tags
barf diet, german shepherd, pet store, pet stores