Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough

Rawhide aggression

Rocky, my male mini-dachshund, seems to have developed rawhide aggression. It's really weird, though...because this behavior only started a few days ago. When he has rawhide he growls at anyone near him and if I put my hand anywhere near his mouth he snaps at me. He's also been attacking my other dog. He's a year and half and has never been aggressive in any way (except to smaller animals, but that's another story, lol). In fact, people were always amazed at how friendly and tolerant he was with younger kids. I'm very worried because he's never even nipped at anyone, so him biting is insane. He's been chewing on rawhide for a while, so it's not like I just started giving it to him. We have a six-year-old in the house, and if he doesn't stop I'm worried my parents might want to re-home him for her safety. I've been reading up on rawhide aggression but haven't found much and I couldn't find any useful tips . Please help!

Note: He was neutured when he was 11 months old and he just had a vet check-up and is healthy.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 01-09-2005, 11:40 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Candycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura about
Has anything changed in your house to make Rocky's position in the hierarchy change. It is odd that he has developed this all of a sudden, but not necessarily uncommon.

What you are referring to is called Possessive Aggression. The second half of this article gives some great advice.

Also, you may want to discontinue giving rawhide, not only because of the aggression but because of the possible salmonella and choking threat.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycane
Has anything changed in your house to make Rocky's position in the hierarchy change. It is odd that he has developed this all of a sudden, but not necessarily uncommon.

What you are referring to is called Possessive Aggression. The second half of this article gives some great advice.

Also, you may want to discontinue giving rawhide, not only because of the aggression but because of the possible salmonella and choking threat.

I read that article, but thanks . I can't think of anything that has changed. We did get another dog, but she's been here since summertime. We probably will stop with the rawhide, we gave it to him because he gets bored easily and when he's bored he gets kinda destructive. The rawhide kept him busy when I was doing things around the house.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 01-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
Oh no, I wonder why Rocky is suddenly acting like that? Do him and Sophie ever fight over it, ie: does she try to take it from him? Wow... he snapped at you, also?! I'm not real familiar with dog aggression, so I'm not sure, but everyone should have some good advice for you. Have you talked to your vet about his sudden behavior change?

Instead of the rawhides, have you tried the Greenies? My doxies and papillon love them. You might want to get the bigger size though, as in regular, my doxies chomp up the "petite" ones way too fast, Jasmine is the only one who eats it the right way. Although a lady at the specialty store we get our dog/cat foods as gave us a tip to make them last longer, keep them in the freezer! I have to try that!

Old 01-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Chinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to behold
We don't give our dogs rawhide due to the possibilities of blockages it has been known to cause. We give real bones and sometimes find the dogs get protective of their bones around each other, but not with us. I would either stop giving him the thing the aggression is stemming from, or when you give it, give it when no one else will be around him except you (to supervise his chewing enjoyment) Make it a rule and make the child understand, you just don't get between a dog and his bone.
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at www.crosscreekchins.com
Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
He could be getting aggressive because Sophie is no longer a puppy. Dogs tend to let puppies get away with things, but as the puppy matures, some dogs get aggressive.

As is the case with our dogs, Kirby and Seamus. Kirby started getting bone aggressive right around the time Seamus hit puberty. Right now we're having to reinstate the fact that Kirby is higher ranking than Seamus. Kirby gets his treats first, fed first, etc. It seems to be working slowly. Also, Kirby must now chew his bones in a separate room from everyone else and he can re-join us when he's done. (We also make it a point to not allow them any treats/bones while company is over. When Sami's two-year-old daughter is here, the dogs have to eat their treats in another room.)

Old 01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Kittygurl- Sophie never takes anything from him, it's usually the other way around =/. We've given them Greenies but Rocky finishes them in minutes so it gets quite expensive.

Chinchilla_Girl- I'll probably do that...I don't think my little sister would try to take his bone but I'm still nervous.

pihlaja- Maybe that's what's going on...they haven't decided who's boss yet. One day we think it's Rocky, but the next day Sophie is growling at him and pinning him to the ground .

Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Part of the Pack

AprilsMom will become famous soon enough

It's MY Rawhide

It is very strange to me that all of a sudden this happened. But, dogs do werid things. I think taking the rawhide away might be a good idea, for health reasons too. I thought that dogs really should not have rawhide because of blockage problems. But, that is a whole other topic.

I have a doxie too, she occasionally shows aggression when other dogs try to get her "Big Eyes" It is just a sqeeky toy that has big eyes, so we call it that. But, it is her favorite. When another dog comes near her she growls because she does not want it.

Even though you have had Sophie since the summer, maybe they are still trying to figure out who is boss in the heirarchy of the dogs. Did you ever give Sophie and Rocky a rawhide at the same time? Or, did you ever give Sophie a rawhide and not Rocky? I would wonder what the reaction would be of Rocky?

I would also talk to your vet. Maybe they might have a suggestion or maybe they have seen this happen before.

Hope everything works out.
"She is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are her life, her love, and her leader. She will be faithful and true, to the last beat of her little heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Rogers Caras.

"Somedays you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant."- Unknown.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilsMom
Even though you have had Sophie since the summer, maybe they are still trying to figure out who is boss in the heirarchy of the dogs. Did you ever give Sophie and Rocky a rawhide at the same time? Or, did you ever give Sophie a rawhide and not Rocky? I would wonder what the reaction would be of Rocky?

Yeah, they still are fighting for top dog. Usually I give them both rawhide at the same time since there is no 'boss' yet.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:42 PM

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Yeah, they still are fighting for top dog. Usually I give them both rawhide at the same time since there is no 'boss' yet.

You should try giving Rocky his bone first to help estabilish him as 'boss.'

It might help with his aggression.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
You should try giving Rocky his bone first to help estabilish him as 'boss.'

It might help with his aggression.

Thanks, I'll try that. I just wasn't sure who should be boss. Sophie is very dominant with dogs smaller then her (Rocky's two times smaller, lol)

Old 01-15-2005, 06:18 PM

Since Rocky was there first, he feels like HE should be higher ranking. He's the "older child," so he wants to be higher in rank.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Since Rocky was there first, he feels like HE should be higher ranking. He's the "older child," so he wants to be higher in rank.

Ok...I wasn't sure. Thanks .

Tags
cat food

You may also search for: