Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 04-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ninja_smurtles is on a distinguished road

Rough paws

Indy has very rough pads that are quite sharp. Is this normal or is there anything i can do about it?

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky
Indy and Myfanwy
Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Old 04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

DirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of light
Our Rottie tends to have rougher pads more so than the other dog's. Sadly here we don't have grass, so they are on tile and concrete alot... we use a pad wax, but until we got that we used Bag Balm ... if you can't get any type of pad wax or bag balm, you can try rubbing vasoline on the pads a few times a week, to help soften them, but you don't want them to get too soft, as the pads are a protection for their feet.

Dirty South Chinchillas
MCBA Member
Breeder Info-Links
Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
If you feel like they are getting too rough, a simple foot cream for dogs will do.

Kirby's feet tend to get a little dry in the spring/summer and we use the foot cream on him once a week until the problem clears up.

I forget what it's called in Swedish, but if I go to the store today, I'll see. (Since Finnish products have both Finnish and Swedish on them.)

Old 04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
Great advice given already.

We put bag balm on our poochies' feet once a week in the summer.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They are so rough that when he puts his paws on me it feels like his claws are scratching me.
We do not have carpets in the house and he mainly walks on little stones rather than tarmac.
I shall get him foot cream when my little pal from finland lets me know the name.
Cheers everyone

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy
Old 04-16-2005, 11:13 AM

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
I go shopping Monday.

But, I asked one of my friend's in Sweden and he believes it's called something like tassalva or djursalva, which seems about right (in Finnish it's called something like tassuvoide).

In Finland, you can get the foot cream at the large chain store CityMarket and just about any pet store.

I find that our dogs get dry feet mainly because of the weather, but small stones could be a culprit, too. Ours seldom EVER have to walk on cement.

And, I find I have to check their feet occassionally to make sure the small stones haven't gotten stuck in between their paws. One of the downsides to winter. It's one reason why I hate the city throwing those small gravelly stones on the sidewalks. They are BAD for a dog's feet!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to all
We use Bag Balm, we love it and it works great!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
I go shopping Monday.

But, I asked one of my friend's in Sweden and he believes it's called something like tassalva or djursalva, which seems about right (in Finnish it's called something like tassuvoide).

In Finland, you can get the foot cream at the large chain store CityMarket and just about any pet store.

I find that our dogs get dry feet mainly because of the weather, but small stones could be a culprit, too. Ours seldom EVER have to walk on cement.

And, I find I have to check their feet occassionally to make sure the small stones haven't gotten stuck in between their paws. One of the downsides to winter. It's one reason why I hate the city throwing those small gravelly stones on the sidewalks. They are BAD for a dog's feet!

Indy does not even get to walk on sidewalks. All the paths around here are made of those little stones so all year it is like that.
I will look in the pet shop on Monday for it. Djursalva means animal cream so I guess that would be about right.
Thanx

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy
Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Gecko is on a distinguished road
I havent heard of doing that. Should I be putting anything on Zoe's feet during the summer??

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the PhotoArtClub

Old 04-22-2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
I havent heard of doing that. Should I be putting anything on Zoe's feet during the summer??

Only if they get dry or very rough. If they don't, then you have anything to worry about.

Tags
pet shop, pet store