Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 04-04-2003, 09:50 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to all
Snooper suggestions?

Since Bach has passed away it seems like Snooper (YorkiePoo) has become depressed. She had known Bach her whole life and was outside with him everyday for the last 6 years. She's eating (not a whole lot though) but not playing. She just sits around.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it best if I keep her in her daily routine? Or should I be spending lots of extra time with her? I know I've been giving her extra attention the last couple of days...but should I be giving her lots, lots, lots more attention? Ya know what I mean?

She seems so sad and I'm sure she's grieving for Bach but I just want to do what's best for her.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Pet Loss - Pets Grieving

Your other pets may well be grieving too. Even when outward appearances suggest the opposite, animals can form very strong bonds with other animals. Grieving pets can exhibit similar symptoms to those experienced by the pet owner. Cats will grieve for dogs, and vice versa. They may show extreme stress, become restless or lethargic, anxious and depressed. They may also suffer sleep and eating disturbances. There may be excessive vocalisation.
Some pets will attempt to seek out their departed companions, perhaps in places where they played or napped together; and it is quite common for them to raise their level of affection and perhaps demand more attention from their owners, which should be given. After all, this affection and love from your other pets will help you wonderfully in getting through your own grieving process.

Dogs especially may need time to work out a new dominance hierarchy, so expect a few scuffles or fights in the interim. This is one example where it may be wise not to introduce another pet too soon.

Eventually your pets will return to their normal behaviour. In the meantime it is important to keep a grieving pet to its usual routine, so that it won't develop bad habits, such as becoming more dependent on treats, extra attention, etc. Don't create a finicky pet, or overdo the attention, which might lead to your pet acquiring a separation anxiety. Keep exercise and feeding to a regular pattern as much as possible. Don't be surprised if a pet adopts certain behavioural traits of its deceased companion.

Source

Old 04-04-2003, 03:01 PM

Jodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to all
Great info, thanks!
Old 04-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

pammiedrew is on a distinguished road
I went through the same thing when Lil' Bit passed away 2 weeks ago.Izzy was Lil'Bits buddy, and when she died Izzy went crazy. She was running around the yard looking for lil' Bit and she would come inside and check every room. She stop eating for a few days. So what I did was I bought her a new toy, something different, and I started to play with her everyday. And I MADE my kids play with her too. (she is a big dog, I needed extra help to keep up with her) Now she still isn't over Lil' Bit but when she wants to play she grabs her toy and brings it to me. Izzy is still depressed and she eats more but not like before. She is getting better and she helps me get through the days too. So me and Izzy get together everyday and play. She is getting better and so am I.
Lily - Aussie Shepard/Brittney Spainel
Hershey Kisses - Basset Hound
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hank - Long Hair Dachshund
Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
Old 04-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

capnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the rough
Baby Girl when Smitty died, had like a gut wrenching reaction, all night she'd have this where are meow and search everywhere in curcles...She was like paniced, and everytime we came home it seemed like she was looking for us to bring him. It was the worst at night though because eventuallly we all slept together. Then we got Smeagol, and although she hasn't forgotten Smitty she has accpeted her new brother.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:56 PM

Snooper is still acting pretty sad. She's not eating much and spends her time sleeping in Bach's old spot. I think I'll go see the vet just to make sure all is well.

It does make me feel better knowing others have their surviving pets act this way.

Hopefully she will feel better soon!!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
I hope Snooper is back to her old self soon. She's probably going to be heartbroken and lost for quite some time, just like you.

Try a new toy and extra attention to distract both of you for a little while.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Adolescent Pup

pammiedrew is on a distinguished road
Jodi.....I called my Vet and I asked everyone I knew what I should do for Izzy, They all said the same thing....It takes time. They don't eat , the lay around and they look for their friend. It is all true. Izzy still will not eat much(except Human Food) she lays around sleeps in Lil'bits spot. But she is getting better, it has been 3 weeks now and I say she is getting back to her sassy self again. They suggest new stuff, toys, bowl, pillow, and I did it. She loves her new toys and bowl and she loves her new Pillow. It does that time, so hang in there, Snooper will get better.
Lily - Aussie Shepard/Brittney Spainel
Hershey Kisses - Basset Hound
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hank - Long Hair Dachshund
Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat