Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Playful Pup

zoo20000uk is on a distinguished road

Sudden shuddering in older dogs

My Meg is 14 years old and, for the past year, she has been shuddering every now and again. It's at certain times...like when I've just put the dogs' food in their bowls or I'm going to get a treat from the cupboard. Sometimes, it will be before I open the door for us to go out. She'll walk normally and then her eyes will blink continuously. She doesn't go over to any particular side but she has to sit back on the floor while her body shudders and her eyes blink. She's totally consumed by it for a few seconds and then recovers. I asked the vet and he said to just keep an eye on it! He didn't think it was epilepsy but maybe a heart problem. I was just wondering if anybody here has ever had a similar problem. She goes out all the time and still likes to run for the ball etc. I have another dog, Isaac, and he's 12 but he's a smaller dog and still really agile and bouncy! Meg is a Labrador-Collie cross and Isaac is a collie crossed with a Lhasa Apso (strange boy he is).

Last edited by zoo20000uk; 03-07-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

pinkie1205 will become famous soon enoughpinkie1205 will become famous soon enough
If you think it is really taking over your dogs health I would take her back to the vet.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
My first dachshund used to do that. I always thought it was because he was excited. He would do it whenever food was out. He also had seizures though. During these shivering episodes, he didn't have dilated pupils like he did when seizing. Louie lived to be about 16 years old and he did the shivering thing for several years.

If she's having a seizure some of these symptoms could help you identify one:

• drooling
  • dilated pupils (they will be quite large. you can check this with a flashlight if you can't tell from just looking)
  • tensed muscles (some seizures involve staring and not moving)
  • unable to respond when called, like she doesn't hear you
Those are just some things that can happen during a seizure episode. If you see any of those things, talk to your vet about it. With my dog's seizures there was nothing that could be done and he lived with them for years without issues.

--------------------------

Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

HappyDancer has a spectacular aura aboutHappyDancer has a spectacular aura about
My Lady started doing the shaking thing a few weeks ago, the vet told us its common in older dogs, but she also did blood work just in case...She does it when shes excited, but also when shes overwhelmed it seems, since I am with her pretty much every moment of the day I have watched her closely...its a wierd thing

Old 03-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Playful Pup

zoo20000uk is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all your help...Meg's in and out of the vet for checks and things...she's had quite a few operations over the past couple years. She doesn't do anything else other than what I've explained and it's always when she's excited or looking forward to going out for her walks or something. I always tell the vet that she's still having these episodes and all three vets that work at my local surgery are convinced it's just a problem with her age and nothing else. It's a strange thing to see but, straight afterwards, she'll take her treat and run off to devour it as if it never happened. It's the blinking that's most creepy. The vet is at the end of my road so I'm always in there with one or other of my animals. I just wanted to know if anybody else had similar experiences and it's nice to know that it may just be something she has to live with and not something fatal! Thanks again!

Tags
dog, epilepsy, heart, shuddering