Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Dogs

Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Old 12-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

kathydip is on a distinguished road

upset stomach

Does anyone know anything that is safe to give a dog for an upset stomach? Frankie has not been himself for the last 2 nights. I think it's just gas built up but not coming out. He is eating rice and chicken and keeping it down. Yesterday I thought he was doing much better but last night he seemed worse again. Why does this always happen on holiday weekends? I feel terrible for him. I know he is a big baby when he is sick but he just lays there. If I don't bundle him up he just shakes. He is not hot though. I think he just feels that awful. Any help would be appreciated.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Old 12-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

millie121 is on a distinguished road
Ohh, poor Frankie! Does your vet have an on-call number just for advice? You could even probably call an emergency clinic and just ask for that type of info. My parent's vet said they can give things like pepto and Gas-X, but that's their vet and their dog. Plus, you'd have to know dosage, which is information you'll probably have to get from a vet (there are probably online sites that post dosages, but I don't know if I'd trust 'em).

Good Luck, I feel bad for the little guy. Stuff really does seem to happen a lot on holidays and weekends.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:36 AM

thanks for the advise. I will call around to see. I think I will try my vet first.
I will let Frankie know you hope he feels better!
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
pepto bismol we're allowed to give our guide dog in training, so it has to be safe, just give a tiny bit tho. our dog loves it lol
Old 12-31-2006, 05:54 PM

Okay I wish I looked at this before we left for the 24 hour emergency vet! I did call my vet first. He wanted Frank x rayed. He felt that if it was gas he should not still be in pain and was worried it maybe his back. So off to Metro Jay, Frank and I went at 1 in the after noon. 4 hours later the vet pretty much said what Jay said Friday night - GAS! She was nice and said it still could be a blockage since there was still food (or something) in his stomach. He hadn't eaten since the night before. She actually said we could leave him there for observation! Like I would leave him there after the x ray showed that he had gas and diarrehea. I don't think Jay or I could have left there without him. We would still be there setting up a bed on the floor.
She gave him fluids and sent him home with Metronidazole. I haven't looked it up yet but I am sure it's the active ingredient in Gas X. At least he has stopped his trembling. I couldn't bear to watch my baby any longer like that. This is at least the second time he has had really bad gas. But before it always passed in less that 24 hours.
Well he is on chicken and rice for a while longer and the meds for 5 days. We have to watch him closely and bring him back if he gets worse. I really think just the vet palpatating his tummy helped move the gas around.
It was an expensive tummy ache but at least his daddy and I can ring in 2007 without any worries over our baby boy. Just the fact that he has stopped the trembling is worth it.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Title Thief Victim

Carissa is on a distinguished road
wow, im glad it was just gas...although..in kindda stinks that you spend all that money, but atlreast you know it wasnt something more seriouse!

Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
hey, it's better to be safe than sorry, i'm glad your guy's okay
Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 PM

He is still not himself but he is much better -thanks guys!
By the way... the medication he was sent home with is actually an anitbiotic for his tummy. It works for a wide range of tummy problems. The funny thing is my best friend (who is a nurse) takes it sometimes herself. I am so glad that she is such a great nurse and I have her to answer my questions. I swear the receptionist at the vets said it was for gas. Today Frank was again full of gas so I called to find out about the Gas X. I had to wait a bit but the vet called me back to tell me the dosage he can take. It's more than I thought he would take too! I swear he is trying not to pass gas. I am hoping tomorrow will be even better. I feel bad that I have to go to work but I will be coming home at lunch to let him out. If he is really bad I can sneak him in my office but I don't think it will be necessary.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
Poor little guy! I am glad he is doing better.When dogs get sick,they look sooo pitiful! Poor things.

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Cardboard Chef

Mel will become famous soon enough
I give my Dane some plain yogurt when her tummy is upset, and it seems to help. I know Pepto is animal friendly (had to give some to the cat a couple of years ago...pink cat, pink me, pink walls, floors, ceiling...).

Stella's tummy also gets upset sometimes and she'll eat a little grass. I try to get her not eat the grass, so I give her a little bit of veggies. That seems to settle her tummy as well. I know there is debate about dogs and veggies, but sometimes its the only thing that makes her feel better. She particularly likes crunchy carrots and crunchy lettuce.

Good luck! Hope he feels better!

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM

He is feeling better but his stomach is not yet right. I had to call the vet for more of the meds because Belle now has an upset tummy. It's funny because you would never know Belle was not feeling well. I guess boys are big babies!
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 01-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

millie121 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
I guess boys are big babies!

lol

I hope Frankie is back to his old self soon.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM

I cannot believe it but a week later he is still not himself. He seems worse than a couple of days ago. I called the vet again. He was please to hear Frank has not passed anything today. Maybe the diarrehea is clearing up. He is so tired. He doesn't even want to walk. He is sleeping right now next to me. Belle, who is also sick, is much better. Although she is sleepy too. She is laying on my legs. She is such a lap dog.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Playful Pup

Wolfie305 is on a distinguished road
Its always better to go to the vet to make sure before doing something someone suggested on here. Your animal could be of different size, breed, etc than of someone elses. I know its a ton of money, but its better than having to give him some other expensive treatment because you gave him the wrong medication XD.

As for his stomach, some dogs take longer to recover than others. You mentioned it was a holiday weekend; were there people over your house? Someone could have given him something or too many somethings that didn't quite settle right with his stomach. Diarreha can also make his stomach crampy/gasy/upset so once that fully stops he should be feeling a little better, hopefully.

Just make sure he gets lots of liquids so he doesn't dehydrate and lots of love I hope he gets better soon

Our time here on Earth is spent trying to figure out our purpose in life and living it to itís fullest. Well, dogs already know how to do thatÖso they donít have to stay as long

Vet Tech to be
17 years old
Owner of: One dog and a Fish
I love wolves, I want to work with them as a Vet Tech. I have two wolves that I have adopted, Amani and Luna.

The wolf pup in my avatar was hand drawn and colored by myself. Please do not use her for any other purposes. If you would like me to draw something for you, or use her, you must ask first. Thank you. (She is copyrighted in various websites)

Tags
emergency vet, lap dog