Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

baby snapping turtles.

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ratty_ratkins 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if it was possible to raise one from a baby. like, if it would still bite when it got older if it got used to being handled and stuff. they probably would, since it's their nature, right? but I was just wondering if anyone says otherwise..

#2 ·
Sigaru said:
I was just wondering if it was possible to raise one from a baby. like, if it would still bite when it got older if it got used to being handled and stuff. they probably would, since it's their nature, right? but I was just wondering if anyone says otherwise..
Yes you can raise them from babies. If you have the time and the aquarium equipment (they need SERIOUS filtration). Trying to habituate them t human contact is a whole other ball of wax though. You would have to handle them very frequently, and even then, there'd be no guarantee. I think you'd have to luck into a particularly passive animal.

I've seen hatchlings come right out of the egg, and offer to bite within a few minutes. Without a doubt, you'd suffer some bites throughout the process. What's more, all of that handling would very likely stress the animal enough that it could result in the death of the turtle.

All in all, I'd say it's possible, but it would be very, very unlikely that anyone would/could be able to do it safely ...for the turtle or the human. Risking the animal's life and your fingers for an improbable outcome would seem rather foolhardy to me.

They are very cool creatures in their natural state, why mess with it?

JMO
bob

#3 ·
well, like I said, I was just wondering. we found a couple in the stream by my house, and they're not at all attempting to bite, and when we hold them they just sit there calmly, with their heads out and everything. they don't seem intimidated at all by us. we were just wondering if they were possible to keep in captivity.

#4 ·
Sigaru said:
well, like I said, I was just wondering. we found a couple in the stream by my house, and they're not at all attempting to bite, and when we hold them they just sit there calmly, with their heads out and everything. they don't seem intimidated at all by us. we were just wondering if they were possible to keep in captivity.
As long as you don't endanger the animals, and you want to try, go ahead and give it a shot. I'd suggest that as long as they eat and poop regularly they are pretty stress free. If you notice them going off feed, I'd think that the handling is starting to stress them out.

bob

#5 ·
i had a baby alligater snapper before. i was a gift to me. he was a little baby. he never tryed to bite and was suprisingly well mannered. i kept him a while and let him go. however i didnt know anything about them much, and fed him on red eared slidder food, and no filteration! bad turtle mommy!
well, hes happy in a pond now

#6 ·
From what iv'e seen the wild caught ones tend to be a little more docile, and Common snapper more then Alligators. I just lost a 2 foot Common Snapper, but he only tried to bite at thing directly in fromt of him, i would touch or hold him any other way and he was fine. A lady came in to my store with a Common over her shoulder and she would rub her nose on its' beak and he was fine with it.

#7 ·
From my experience (which is really watching them grow at a place called The Snake Farm), they never tame. Well, at least Alligator snappers.

#8 ·
It csan be done up to a point but they wont like being touched like an iguana or snake. They also go huge youd have to invest in a kiddy pool. and like some one said youll get bit if you put something in front of thier face. They can also live for a few decades make shure your going to be able to keep the thing for a minume of 20years alagator snappers can live about 100 years. Feeding your best bet is crickets and minos. also be aware that thier poop can carry salaminila so wash your hands relly well after handling them

#9 ·
Very good filteration is key. They soil their water in a flash so invest in a good pump and filter.

#12 ·
if they are close to being on the endangered species list i guess i should tell my in laws to stop eating them!
i dont agree at all with keeping wild animals as pets now. i was a kid then, and could careless. when your ten you dont think of these things. but anyway, i dont recommend keeping any as pets.
are you sure they are close to being on the endangered species list? i thought if they were, there would be laws protecting them from people eating them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.