Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Animal Welfare & Legal Issues

Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Mallory has a spectacular aura aboutMallory has a spectacular aura about

Dog Freezes to Death in Toledo, OH

Frozen Dog Animal CrueltyDecember 09, 2005 - A horrifying case of animal cruelty in Toledo. A central Toledo man is facing charges tonight after his dog literally froze to death. The owner told investigators the dog was fine when he left it tied up outside in single digit temperatures Tuesday afternoon but when he came back four hours later it was dead.

Investigators say one of the most upsetting parts of this story is that he left the dog's body in the backyard for two days after it died
After an anonymous tip, cruelty investigators found the dog frozen solid and chained to a pole in the owner's Vance Street backyard late yesterday. The dog's owner has been charged with animal cruelty a second degree misdemeanor. This means the owner could face a $750 fine and up to ninety days in prison. But some say Ohio's animal cruelty laws don't have much bite and many owners get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

An autopsy was done on the dog and according to the Humane Society vet it was well fed and in good health. Exposure to the cold was the cause of death.

You can report cases of animal cruelty anonymously. The Toledo area Humane Society investigates about 1800 cruelty cases every year. They also find new homes for about 3000 cats and dogs every year.

source
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

lilchris_28 will become famous soon enough
That's horrible, but I can't say much. Our dog died last year from the cold because my parents wouldn't let me bring her in. This year if it's below 40 degrees, they ask "Are you going to let Angel in?" Darn straight!

Mom to:
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)
: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger
Fernando
Benny
Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)
Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)
Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Millimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really nice
That is so horrible!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
That's awful .

I always feel so bad for the dogs outside when it's cold out...

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Newborn Pup

terraban is on a distinguished road
I have two belgians and I know they are spoilt rotten, I cant imagine them being left out in freezing cold weather - even in australia mine are allowed in or at least have the laundry for comfort. Geez it was 38 degrees yesterday (celcius) and I had all my animals inside with the airconditioner going! then they got a bath in the evening, and brushed. Even my cats are spoilt bratz but wouldnt have it any other way......
Karma will come and bite that aweful person when he least expects it.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 PM

sheruns is on a distinguished road
I don't know why people think animals do not need to be kept warm, dry and fed properly. What is there not to understand here? Why are our laws so lax when it comes to animal cruelty?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Purplebunny has a spectacular aura aboutPurplebunny has a spectacular aura about
That is very sad! Poor dog!

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin
Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

LuvMeTrue will become famous soon enough
I am sorry but i can not see hwo anyone in their right mind can leave a family pet tied up outside in the freezeing . They are a member of the family, would they like to be tied up and left out in single digit weather. people like that make me wonder.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
nikky

where im from we do not have a cold problem we have a heat problem and if it is to hot i bring my dog in as i dont like being out there in that heat. Some people do not deserve pets.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
Sami and I never leave our dogs outside in the cold.

Of course, that usually means that we have to literally DRAG Kirby back inside, because he just LOVES -22F (-30C) weather! But of course, Kirby is a Samoyed and is built to handle extreme cold. Nevertheless, we still don't let him romp around for long periods of time outside. 2.5 hours at once is usually the max for Kirby, and 1 hour for Seamus.

I just can't believe someone would be so careless.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Crazy Chin Lady has a spectacular aura aboutCrazy Chin Lady has a spectacular aura aboutCrazy Chin Lady has a spectacular aura about
That makes me sick. I hope this guy rots for what he did.

Let's see him sit outside in the cold for four hours and see how HE likes it. Yeah, I bet you he wouldn't make it an hour.

[
Old 12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Sami and I never leave our dogs outside in the cold.

Of course, that usually means that we have to literally DRAG Kirby back inside, because he just LOVES -22F (-30C) weather! But of course, Kirby is a Samoyed and is built to handle extreme cold. Nevertheless, we still don't let him romp around for long periods of time outside. 2.5 hours at once is usually the max for Kirby, and 1 hour for Seamus.

I just can't believe someone would be so careless.

Rocky is the same way as Kirby! I have to drag him in too...and funny thing is, he's a shorthaired dachshund!

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 12-12-2005, 05:50 PM

sheruns is on a distinguished road
To LuvMeTrue, They make you wonder - they make ME sick.

Tags
animal cruelty, humane society

You may also search for: