Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Animal Welfare & Legal Issues

Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

luvnature has a spectacular aura aboutluvnature has a spectacular aura aboutluvnature has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation

ibuystrays.com...make money!

PT'ers...I got this email below from a friend on a bird forum this evening and thought I would let all you here see it too...its such a bad idea
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This email was sent to me and I thought I would send it to some of my animal lover friends. Please do what they ask and email the offending website.

I hate to start off the new year with something negative, but I came across this site and it is deplorable. I can't believe that these people buy strays! Do people actually trap the strays in their area and sell them? Don't they know that these animals are usually tortured by the medical community or used as "bait" for fighting dogs?

Go to:

http://ibuystrays.com/

Look at thier site, email them to tell them how awful what they are doing is, and forward this email to as many people as are in your email list!
We need to try to put a stop to this type of garbage! I can see rescuing strays and giving them a good home, but trapping them and selling them???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is so bad on many levels.
I can just imagine if one of my beloved pets were lost and someone finds it and uses it to make money instead of trying to find me, the owner. Or what if people start stealing, robbing our pets to make money?!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Binky is on a distinguished road
That's horrible.

I started reading the site out loud and my dog started whimpering. :/

Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Nikko will become famous soon enough
I have to say...I think that site is a fake. No one with a "business" like that would use google adsense and google probably wouldn't allow them to use it anyway. I don't think they'd put really cute pictures on the site either, they'd put more pictures of older dogs and strays (still cute too me though). I just don't think they'd talk the way they did in that site, calling them beasts and what not. I think the person just made the site up because he knows he'll get a lot of traffic because everyone, especially animal lovers, will want to check the site out which makes him money.

If the site is real though....

I do understand that medical research needs to test some things on animals, but I hate it at the same time. I'm torn on my beliefs with that. People should not be making money for giving animals to that site though, that is so wrong! I read almost every page on the site and the way they say things really bothered me.

Quote:
let's turn those unwanted beasts into survival opportunities

Quote:
Are you an individual who regularly finds himself with too many cats and dogs on hand or maybe you're just in need of cash,
Whether you've got a whole unwanted litter of mutts or just one cat that doesn't get along with the rest, Email me and do a good deed. Keep it up and you can earn bonus money for quantity.

Quote:
You can enjoy their wonderful puppy / kitten stage and then reap a cash reward for having grown such a fine specimen. Start over with a new kitten every six months! Win,Win, and Win!

I just really don't think the site is real. There would be contact info on the site, not just an email address.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

luvnature has a spectacular aura aboutluvnature has a spectacular aura aboutluvnature has a spectacular aura about
I truly hope that it is NOT real!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/ibuystrays.asp
Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cazsamps is on a distinguished road
I dont know if it is real or not but i sent them an e-mail! This made me feel truly sick and so here is what i sent them................

How could you do this to those poor animals? Why should they be used and abused?? Just because they are animals doesnt mean they dont have feelings etc this is just disgusting and i am so angry that some one would do this to innocent animals that cant fight back. Animals especially dogs give love to anybody regardless of what happens to them and you are using them for testing allsorts and totally disregarding their rights to a comfortable life. You are wrong VERY wrong.
And also whilst i am on the subject you are out of order in calling them beasts too,they may well be lost family pets but instead of trying to return them to their loving family that are missing them you would rather people were selfishly selling them to you to be used as a lump of meat to be prodded and poked and drugged etc. I believe in Karma and i hope one day you live to regret what you are doing for the sake of all those harmless animals.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
It is a fake website.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/ibuystrays.asp

Good!

What sickos, just so sick in the head to even just make up something so terribly upsetting!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't go to the site but I'm glad it's fake!

There are people that go around stealing dogs and selling them to dealers for around $20 each. The dogs then go to medical research labs. I watched a special on HBO about 2 years ago called Dog Dealers or something like that. I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of it because it was so horrible. They had an undercover agent with a hidden camera working with these people and they way they treated those animals made me absolutely sick to my stomach.

One person (on hidden video) said he paid his house off just from selling stolen dogs to this place. He laughed and said his favorite thing to do was to go to "high end neighborhoods" and steal "expensive" dogs and sell them.

There are alot of sick people in this world.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
It's hard to believe that the medical community would deal with people like that. Although people are pretty crappy, so I wouldn't put much past them. This is why we don't let our dogs go outside without someone out there with them. I've heard too many stories about people stealing, poisoning, and committing other unsavory acts against animals. You'd think your pet would be safe in your own fenced yard. Not here apparently! My is a newly retired police officer. I remember him telling me about how some kids went around shooting cats with BB guns for no reason other than to hurt them. Some people even fed other people's animals alcohol.

--------------------------

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
I am glad that is a fake site,but unfortunatly there are still bad people out there!

In regards to what you mentioned "Marmilla"...we had a cat that was poisoned by a neighbour! I was the unfortunate one to find him!

This is why I dislike people leaving their pets unattended outside,because anything can happen! People killing or torturing them or people stealing them to make money.It is truly sick!

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

mebri123 is on a distinguished road
that was a little insane
jeez
so whos up for breeding and making some money
totally kidding of course
why would i give my pet up for disection
insane

Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebri123 View Post
that was a little insane
jeez
so whos up for breeding and making some money
totally kidding of course
why would i give my pet up for disection
insane

Obviously nobody on this forum would do that! But unfortunatly there are people who would only see the dollar signs and that is what is sad!

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I'm gonna be sending a message to google reporting that site. A site like that, real or fake, should not be allowed to use google adsense to make money. They don't allow anything else illegal so why should they allow this even though it's fake. I know they'll still be able to use other ads, but at least it'll teach them a small lesson.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Well, I just sent the message to google. We'll see if they allow him to use adsense or not. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll ban him from google, then they'll have a lot more trouble making money off of such a stupid site.