Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Animal Welfare & Legal Issues

Animal Welfare & Legal Issues Post articles, news alerts, and anything else pertaining to animal welfare. Legal issues and obligations regarding our pets such as renter's rights/responsibilities, vaccination laws, animal bans, etc. are also appropriate.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Xylex is on a distinguished road

Owning a Fox

I am getting my own place soon that finally doesn't have any limitations on pets. I have been spending the last few months trying to decide what animal I want. When a friend of mine slipped on the topic of how cute foxes where, I had to Google around for information, but I haven't been able to find anything. I am moving to Washington state in a couple days so I must ask to be point in the right direction as far as finding info on, laws on owning one, what type of foxes are legal to own, what their eating habits are, their personalities ect.

To be fully honest, I would love to raise a red fox, but I don't know a whole lot about them. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, as well as breeding info, if possible. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
You can contact your local fish & wildlife to ask what's legal and what's not.

I know some people keep fennic foxes as pets. And there is another type that has been bred in captivity for awhile and almost look like dogs but I'm not really sure what they're called or where you could get one.

Foxes aren't domesticated, even if you get a captive breed one they're still wild animals. Like other wild animals, they can be destructive, and unpredictable. Most foxes spray urine to mark their territory and have a strong musky smell.

If your serous about this I would do toooons of research. Try to find a breeder or someone who owns one that will let you visit the animals, so you can get a better idea of what they're really like. Owning one would take a lot of work and commitment to keep them happy/healthy.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Xylex is on a distinguished road
I feel I am ready for that commitment. I thank you for your post. Do you know where I can go for information about them and such?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
The foxes you can buy (red foxes in different colours) are normal fur-animals that for some reason didn't cut it as fur-animal, and then the farmer/breeder will sell the fox.

I only know of one danish breeder and some danish literature, so I can't help you...

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

laydeerodentzz is on a distinguished road
I dont think you can own a fox as a 'pet'
I think that you can be a volenteer to raise/foster an ill or injured fox, or just a fox trying to recover from sergery, an abandon fox cub in need of care ect...but you may need a lisence.
I'm not really sure and thats the only things I can think of, they may not be correct, but I thought i'd share what I thought and see what other people think

Pipi my hamster
Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Old 05-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
If you serch on google, you will find a lot of different opinions about foxes.
Just type "pet fox"

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 06-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Adolescent Pup

Nall is on a distinguished road
How funny, I came here to see if there were any topics on raising foxes as pets because they're really intersting creatures. and wouldn't you believe there's a recent topic about it. I've thought of having a pet fox but I always wondered why they were never at pet stores, and that made me wonder if they're not meant to be pets. It'd still be really cool though. I'm not anywhere near ready though. only when I live in my own house and with some land might I consder it.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f104/...ter-48284.html

I just posted this thread with fox pictures because this thread reminded me! I wouldn't want to own a fox as a pet because the one my grandpa trapped didn't seem very friendly (understandably!).

I think it would be better to work with a rescue group and rehabilitate the foxes and release them. They are still wild creatures. Your state should have a website for its fish and wildlife department and that's where I would start. I don't think a person can own a fox as a pet in Oregon.

--------------------------

Old 06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
Foxes are wild animals and I don't think people should have them as pets.There are people who breed them to be "pets"...but they are still wild animals.Foxes have not been domesticated for several yrs,like dogs have.

But if your serious,then seek out breeders or even rescues/sanctuaries to get better info about them.As well as look into it and make sure they are legal in your state.

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
In most states, it is illegal to own native wildlife without a permit, and in many cases they will not issue permits to non-wildlife rehabilitators because there are no valid rabies vaccines for animals like raccoons and foxes.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Garuru-Wolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
I dont think you can own a fox as a 'pet'
I think that you can be a volenteer to raise/foster an ill or injured fox, or just a fox trying to recover from sergery, an abandon fox cub in need of care ect...but you may need a lisence.
I'm not really sure and thats the only things I can think of, they may not be correct, but I thought i'd share what I thought and see what other people think

I'm with Ladeerodentzz.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
If you do a little googling, one of the things you might find is:

Quote:
Colorado wildlife law generally prohibits the importation, live possession, sale, barter, trade, or purchase of any species of wildlife native to Colorado (33-6-113(1), C.R.S.). In addition, these same laws restrict or prohibit the importation and possession of exotic (non-native) wildlife (33-6-109(4), C.R.S.); and noncommercial (pet) possession of regulated mammals has been prohibited by these regulations since 1983.

The Fennec Fox is the only species of fox considered to be pet quality. In Colorado they are not legal to possess without a permit and they do not issue permits for people who just want them as a pet animal. From what I've read, you would need to be using the fox for education, exhibition or research in order to qualify for a permit.

There are lots of websites out there with information regarding ownership and care. Google some breeder or owner websites. Call them up or visit them before you make the decision to own one. Most breeders are pretty picky about where there animals go, some people however, may try to unload a problem animal on you. Be careful about believing people that have nothing but good things to say about owning them. There are challenges with owning any exotic.

The one I worked with was a very cute and interesting animal. The public loved her. However, I wouldn't consider it a pet quality animal (admittedly, I'm picky about what I call a "pet"). They don't socialize like dogs (they don't live in packs like the dog's ancestor did), so they don't have the innate need to want to be cuddled, hugged or even touched sometimes. You need to work with them alot, for simple things, like litter training. Some don't ever seem to understand the concept. Cuteness does not overcome the stress of finding a big, wet urine spot in he middle of the couch or on your favorite recliner.

I would only recommend them to someone who has worked with exotics before and who has a strong background in animal training, particularly canids. They require training and socialization every day if you want them to be a pet.

No matter how much socialization you do, they are always going to be a wild predator. That means any other small animals in your household (or anywhere your fox can get to) will be considered prey animals to be killed and possibly eaten. They will react to some things differently than dogs.

I don't know your background, but it sounds like you have limited experience. Thinking that your are ready for the challenges of owning an exotic (when you don't even know what they may be), is not the same as actually being ready. My advice is to work your way up to this. By jumping in prematurely, you may end up doing a disservice to the animal and the people around you that will be affected.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Playful Pup

sarah3232 is on a distinguished road
Why don't you just have a dog as these are wild animals. Foxes are naturally nervous animals and maybe it would be unfair to have them in a domestic environment.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Jird Jostler

Georgia163 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuru-Wolf View Post
I'm with Ladeerodentzz.

Me too. I dont think you should own foxes, they're wild animals afterall.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Playful Pup

sarah3232 is on a distinguished road
I understand that Americans have all sorts of pets over there but it is not fair to have a fox in captivity, knowing of their nervous like behaviour.