Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Rough paws

Tags
pet shop
10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pihlaja 
#1 ·
Indy has very rough pads that are quite sharp. Is this normal or is there anything i can do about it?

#2 ·
Our Rottie tends to have rougher pads more so than the other dog's. Sadly here we don't have grass, so they are on tile and concrete alot... we use a pad wax, but until we got that we used Bag Balm ... if you can't get any type of pad wax or bag balm, you can try rubbing vasoline on the pads a few times a week, to help soften them, but you don't want them to get too soft, as the pads are a protection for their feet.

#3 ·
If you feel like they are getting too rough, a simple foot cream for dogs will do.

Kirby's feet tend to get a little dry in the spring/summer and we use the foot cream on him once a week until the problem clears up.

I forget what it's called in Swedish, but if I go to the store today, I'll see. :) (Since Finnish products have both Finnish and Swedish on them.)

#5 ·
They are so rough that when he puts his paws on me it feels like his claws are scratching me.
We do not have carpets in the house and he mainly walks on little stones rather than tarmac.
I shall get him foot cream when my little pal from finland lets me know the name.
Cheers everyone :)

#6 ·
I go shopping Monday. :)

But, I asked one of my friend's in Sweden and he believes it's called something like tassalva or djursalva, which seems about right (in Finnish it's called something like tassuvoide).

In Finland, you can get the foot cream at the large chain store CityMarket and just about any pet store.

I find that our dogs get dry feet mainly because of the weather, but small stones could be a culprit, too. Ours seldom EVER have to walk on cement.

And, I find I have to check their feet occassionally to make sure the small stones haven't gotten stuck in between their paws. One of the downsides to winter. :sigh: It's one reason why I hate the city throwing those small gravelly stones on the sidewalks. They are BAD for a dog's feet!

#8 ·
pihlaja said:
I go shopping Monday. :)

But, I asked one of my friend's in Sweden and he believes it's called something like tassalva or djursalva, which seems about right (in Finnish it's called something like tassuvoide).

In Finland, you can get the foot cream at the large chain store CityMarket and just about any pet store.

I find that our dogs get dry feet mainly because of the weather, but small stones could be a culprit, too. Ours seldom EVER have to walk on cement.

And, I find I have to check their feet occassionally to make sure the small stones haven't gotten stuck in between their paws. One of the downsides to winter. :sigh: It's one reason why I hate the city throwing those small gravelly stones on the sidewalks. They are BAD for a dog's feet!
Indy does not even get to walk on sidewalks. All the paths around here are made of those little stones so all year it is like that.
I will look in the pet shop on Monday for it. Djursalva means animal cream so I guess that would be about right.
Thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.