Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Pleases pray for our puppy

6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Janelle 
#1 ·
We found out our puppy has Parvo. he is fighting for his life at the vets. They first thought he had Salmonella because I use the BARF diet. Whn I took him to the vet last Friday morning, he was vomiting and had diarrhea. I had never had this vet before. When I told her I used the BARF diet. She was upset about that. She didn't like that. But because of the diet she thought only about Salmonella. She did not test him for Parvo. She sent me home with some medicine and said if he gets worse bring him back in. We had taken a stool sample in with us. she had it checked for parasites, nothing else. So at 3:00 AM Sunday morning he started having bloody stools. We took him in as soon as we could get there. The vet on call took a 10 min Parvo test and it came back positive. So now he is fighting for his life. I am so upset with the first vet. I will never tell a vet that I use the BARF diet again. It clouds their decisions. I'm not new to the BARF diet I have used it for over 10 yrs. I've never had any dog get sick from it yet. And this puppy didn't get sick from it either. I'm sorry, I just have to blow off steam. Please, everybody please pray for our puppy, Geronimo. We got him March 20th, but he is already part of our family. We don't want to lose him. Dee

#8 ·
I hope he's getting better. Thats awful about the first vet. Its terrible when you feel like you have no other choice but to believe what they say, because they've had the schooling... and then they make a misdiagnosis. I understand each vet is human and makes errors, but it seems like that vet just didn't want to take the time to look at everything first before jumping to conclusions.

Keep us updated on the little guy!

#10 ·
We lost Geronimo today. I am so upset with the vet. We are looking for a another vet. We went to the administrater of the hospital, and made a complaint. they had another vet in there with us. He defended the vet that was taking care of Geronimo. He said he would have don the same thing that she done. So we knew it was'n doing any good. We just wanted Geronimo taken care of right, and we feel he wasn't. The 2 vets both said with Parvo the animal doesn't have milky white stools like Geronimo had. But my daughter said that is a lie. She has had 3 of her dogs die of Parvo. And they did. I have never been around Parvo before, so I didn't know. So now I'm even more upset that she did not give him a parvo test. I was on the computer last night trying to find out more about Parvo. a page came up. i want to tell all of you about. It is a company that makes natural remedies for animals. they have a remedy for Parvo called Parvaid. It is also used to prevent Parvo. they have a lot of testimonials about it. It is expensive but I think dogs have a good chance with it. according to the tstimonials it has saved a lot of dogs and puppies lives. The company is Amber Technology I Called them to order. They told me there was 4 stores here tat sold Parvaid. I got it too late to help our little boy but I can tell everybody about it. Their e-mail iswww.ambertech.com. I want to thank all of you for your prayers and good wishes. They say everything happens for a reason. Maybe his death was meant to help other precious puppies like him. i'm going to tell every body about Parvaid, so his death isn't in vain. Yrs ago after our beautiful 5 year old German Shepherd died of cancer. I swore I would try to find a better diet for my babies and find more natural remedies for them. That is why I started the BARF diet over 10 yrs ago. But I will not tell any vet that I use that diet anymore. In those yrs after our GS death I have helped quite a few people with their dogs with natural remedies and health problems because of the books I have and read. I guess that our GS Bear Bear was meant to die so I could help others. Thank all of you and God Bless all of you. Dee

#11 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I'm glad you found that medicine, though. Good job. :heart: It's always important to get your dogs vaccinated for Parvo. :yes: Was lil Geronimo not old enough? Does that medicine you found help the ones not old enough for the vaccine?

Again, I'm so sorry.

#15 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. :(

Since others will read this I will give some tips also.

For future reference, pups really shouldn't go outside in high traffic areas until they are fully vaccinated. I don't let my pups go outside at all until they are vaccinated. Vaccinations are really important.

Here is a good website about parvo virus: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_parvo_virus_in_the_environ.html

You probably have some contamination in your house/outside, so you should take steps to "clean". That way your other dogs will be safer. Viruses aren't living entities like bacteria, so it can be tricky to neutralize them completely.

#18 ·
We got Geronimo March 20th. We gave him his first puppy shot before we took him home. But we didn't know he already had Parvo. so the shot made it worse. If your dog has Parvo, you are not supposed to give them the Parvo shot. The Parvo shot is not an antiviral or vaccine. It is live Parvo virus. The vets tried everything to save him, but nothing worked, even Plasma. Parvo is spread by body fluids. so if another animal is in close contact with the animal with Parvo, they will get it. Parvo can be spread by flies or bugs that get in the waste or vomit of the diseased dog. Also birds or other animals that come in contact with the waste or vomit can spread Parvo. Parvo is tiny particles of virus. It takes a very tiny amount to get the disease. This is what we were told by vets. that is why it is highly contagious. And the virus can stay alive up to 6 months. We have 2 other dogs at home. They have had their shots. But the vets told us they can still get Parvo. Most dogs that have had the shots usually don't get it, but they can. Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to Parvo. They said that once a dog is cured of Parvo, they don't usually get it, because it does give a certain amount of immunity. But they can still get if the right conditions allow it. So your dogs and puppies are never completely safe.:(

#19 ·
Formula 86, you asked if the Parvaid could be used to protect real young puppies. You can read about it on www.ambertech.com. You can decide for your self. I would use it that way,but I won't tell you to. I am giving it to my other 2 dogs, since they were exposed to Geronimo. The company has been in business for years. And it is being sold in pet stores here.

#20 ·
Parvo is scary stuff and Distemper actually scares me a little bit more because it is fatal, at least there is treatment available for parvo... I would be so mad at that vet for not testing for parvo, if they had done the test his chances for survival would have been greater.

I am so sorry for the loss of your puppy :( and I hope your other 2 will be ok.

#22 ·
form, We gave the puppy the shot, not a vet. We give our fur kids their shots, because it costs $45.00 just for the office call then everything else is extra. We used to take them to a shot clinic. the vets there never tested for Parvo. Geronimo got sick right away. So either the shot gave him the Parvo or he had it when we got him. People think that when you give a Parvo shot that the puppy won't get Parvo. Some puppies do get Parvo from the shot. It doesn't happen very often, but it can happen.

#23 ·
leo, years back we had a dog that had distemper. the vet we took him to was a good vet. He was an old fashioned vet. He saved our dog. But when we took him home after this vet diagnosed distemper. We worked with our dog day and night with the instructions he told us to do. we set our alarm and got up to give him his meds. That vet told us we could save him, but it would take a lot of hard work, day and night. We had to make him drink water when he didn't want to. We had to make sure he stayed warm. But it was worth it, he got over distemper.

#25 ·
Same here as what Formula said. And I've heard vets tell other people that they don't recognize the at home shots, and to get whatever other vaccinations they need from the vet, they have to get all those shots again. (Something about a 7 in 1 at home shot comes to mind.)

#26 ·
After all this with Geronimo. I have found out that I will get the shots from the vet from now on. Because you don't know how the vaccine was handled. The vaccine is supposed to be kept cold until it is given. And I have heard that the vets get the better vaccines. So I from now on I will take my puppies to the vet for all of their shots. I did give our other 2 dogs the Parvaid. They haven't gotten sick. They do have all of their shots. So that is probably why they didn't get sick. But I gave them the Parvaid as an extra help. It MIGHT have helped them from getting sick. I don't know. But I feel better, giving it to them. Parvo is such a dangerous disease for puppies and dogs. It would be a very good thing if Parvaid does help fight parvo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.