Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Rattery in Utah?

9K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  RenishaS 
#1 ·
I'm hesitant to purchase another rat from a pet store since the last one got sick so soon. So I'm looking for a reputable Rattery in my area, preferable Salt Lake or within an hour or two drive. Can anyone recommend one?

#2 ·
Since I've had little luck find a reputable rattery here in Utah (The closest one is about an hour and a half away) So I'm discussing starting my own with my husband. It would take time to set up as the room I've designated for the 'rat palace' is in our unfinished basement. We are currently gathering funds to finish it and a proper heating system will be put in prior to doing anything with it. I'm less concerned with the conditions of the room and more concerned with the process of setting up a rattery. I will not be using my current rats as breeders, they are too old and I'm not sure of their history. My husband will build a large cage for the females and the male(s) will live in the current cage till a second can be built.

I've been doing the research and I know it's not going to be simple and easy. I'm mostly looking for helpful information.

#4 ·
Hi all!

I've started a rattery here in Provo, if you're interested. I don't have a litter yet, but am expecting 2 litters hopefully next month. I bought all my rats from pet stores, but I feel comfortable breeding them because A) they were healthy when I bought them and are still healthy today with no problems and B) all have great temperaments. If you want to see more, I've set up a website and am in the process of uploading pictures. you can email me for more info if you want. heathrattery.com.

P.S. If anyone has more info about utahratteries.com, please let me know. I was unable to contact them when I wanted to purchase a rat... thanks!

#5 ·
The Utahratteries.com has not had an update for several months so I assume they are no longer in business.

#6 · (Edited)
Bummer. I was hoping they were just inactive. :( As for help starting your rattery, just make sure you keep the cages clean. That's my big push. A clean cage is the best protection against diseases... for both your ratties and YOU. Maybe that will help encourage your husband. My husband didn't like me having four boys because I couldn't keep their huge cage clean all the time (they pooped anywhere they could get to!) but when I got two smaller cages, that helped keep the smell down tremendously!!! and I can comfortably fit 5 rats in each cage, even though their are only the four boys in one and the two girls in the other (though I'll be getting another one this week).:woot2:Another thing to look at is getting cages/rat stuff on craigslist.com or ksl.com. I highly recommend ksl because they have updated postings almost every hour. Click on "Other Pets" for rats and "Pet Equipment" for cages. I got a three level cage plus two rats and accessesories for a grand total of $5... one of the girls wasn't very friendly, so I sold her, but the other turned out to be the friendliest rat and I've kept her for breeding (she's Brooke, my dalmatian). You can get a big, cheap wire cage and then add some linoleum (cut-to-fit) over the wire levels so the rats don't stress their feet too much. It's really easy to clean and you don't have to spend too much time cleaning each wire if they poop or pee on it. Another place to check is Animal Ark. Don't know if you want to come clear down to Orem, but I bought an animal that turned up sick and they gave me free tetracycline to fix him up. He was better within a week and doing great now... no signs of any RI. And the best advice of all... do your research, lots of it! I knew almost nothing about rats when we got our first a year ago, but I was amazed at how much info was on the web. Good luck! If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help!

#7 ·
I found a place on KSL called Adelaide's Rattery but they don't have anything i'm currently looking for so I'll probably stalk both of your websites till I find one I like.

#9 ·
I need a female, because the ones I currently own are female. I want one that's not the same colors as the ones I own. So a blue/white or solid color. Mostly I really want a dumbo, because they are so cute.

#10 · (Edited)
Cool. I just bred my two lilacs together and the male is a dumbo. If you can't find anything in a month or two, I'd probably have a bunch of lilac dumbos, if you're interested. Not sure what other colors/markings they're carrying, but it would be interesting to see. **crosses fingers** Here's a link to what they look like, though the color example is a hooded and you can't see it too well. Think "cocoa" with a dash of "platinum"... just a pretty light brown with a nice silvery cast almost... doesn't quite do it justice, though. :)

afrma.org/ratselfs.htm

#11 ·
You're babies are so cute! I'd put up pictures of mine but my camera is broken.

#12 ·
I just moved to Salt Lake from Oregon, and have been breeding since 2002. I have a couple litters planned in the next couple months (2 girls im crossing my fingers are 1-2 weeks pregnant now). My website is timelesstailsrattery.com (wont let me post a link since i am new to the forum so please copy/paste :)) You can find out more about me and my ratties there :)

#13 ·
I'll have to keep an eye on it. One of my rats got very sick recently and I've spent a lot of my funds for a new rat on vet bills. So it may still be a while before we get a new rat.

#14 ·
Im sorry you had a sick rattie, I hope she is feeling better now!

If you are able to adopt in the future, let me know, I would be happy to talk to you about my adoption process and my rats and their lines/background/etc. all my rats are pedigreed (meaning I know their backgrounds AT LEAST 3+ generations) and either I bred them and/or their parents and in most cases their grandparents, or know the breeders that did, so i can get health and temperment updates to keep myself informed on what lines are healthy/happy enough to keep breeding and which lines are best to stop breeding.

Since you are in Salt Lake, do you have recommendations on a good rat vet? I still havent needed one, but best to have names before you need one.....

#15 ·
I love Creekside Animal Hospital. It's located in Draper so it's a little bit of a drive from where I am but Dr. Orr does a good job. (801) 565-1263

If you do see him tell him Michelle Wilde sent you.

#16 ·
Hey! I had trouble finding one too, but I came across Adelaide's Rattery ---url: adelaidesrattery.blogspot.com/

While it was a 5 hour drive for me, it was VERY worth it! She has beautiful rats, and they're all taken very good care of. I adopted 3 little girls from her. She had them all bathed and looking nice.

They're EXTREMELY friendly and social, they get along perfectly with my older rat. I highly recomend Adelaide. She is just outside of Pleasant Grove. :)

#18 ·
I've actually looked into Adelaide's she does seem very professional. I will probably get in tough with her when we decide to get another rat(s). Lately every time I get close to being able to purchase a new rat we have emergency vet visits and my 'new rat fund' goes out the window...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.