Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Anyone ever use Muck Itch?

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RobFnk 
#1 ·
I hear it's a great product for rain rot and it rids the problem in just a few short days.
We've had so much rain this year plus my horse has to travel across a stream everyday that I finally ordered me some Much Itch! They rave about this product at my barn.
If you have a problem with this ,here's where I got mine from:
http://www.saddleuptack.com/webcat/cat49.htm

#3 ·
Rain Rot / Rain Scald
PREPARED BY: Cheryl Sutor [1998]

What is rain rot?

Rain rot is one of the most common skin infections seen in horses. It is also referred to as "rain scald" or "streptothricosis". The organism that causes rain rot appears and multiplies in warm, damp conditions where high temperature and high humidity are present. This condition is not life-threatening, so don't worry. However, while the horse has rain rot, any equipment that may rub and irritate the infected skin (such as saddles and leg wraps) should be eliminated.

What causes rain rot?

The organism dermatophilus congolensis causes rain rot. dermatophilus congolensis is not a fungus. It is an actinomycetes, which behaves like both bacteria and fungi. Most people believe that the organism is present in soil, however, this has not been proven. The organism is carried on the horse, who has it in his skin. A horse who has this organism in his skin may or may not be affected.

What does rain rot look like?

Rain rot can appear as large crust-like scabs, or small 1/4 inch matted tufts of hair. There is usually dozens of tiny scabs that have embedded hair and can be easily scraped off. Underneath the scabs, the skin is usually (but not always) pink with puss when the scabs are first removed, then it becomes gray and dry as it heals. It is usually hard to differentiate rain rot from other similar skin conditions, so if you are unsure, call your veterinarian.

In the early stages, you will be able to feel small lumps on the horses' skin or hair by running your hand over your horse's coat.

#7 ·
:D Now everyone knows what rain rot is!

I never had a problem with my horse until I moved to this barn 8 miles from my house. The barn is in a valley with a stream running through. It's beautiful and has nice pasture most of the time but unfortunately we do have fungal problems here.
My horse had a terrible case of thrush(in hoof) last year, and it's taking hold again now, but I can assure you that it's not from bad care as most books would say. Shilo has a very clean dry stall every day and I see him about 5 times a week and clean his hoofs out but it's just this area he lives in, must be high in fungus spores and rain rot bacteria/fungal boogies! Shilos rain rot is always on his legs and this year I just haven't gotten rid of it because of all the rain. At this barn she believes horses should go out every day unless the weather is very severe. I do agree but it sure causes more maintenance and problems for us horse owners as far as what wet weather causes.
I hope to at least get rid of this rain rot on his legs when I get this muck Itch formula. The thrush will be a real pain if this weather dosen't dry out.
IF any one knows of a fast cure for thrush I'd be happy to hear. I did have success with "save a hoof" medicine but it was a long day to day treatment, and when you don't live where your horse lives it's a real pain .

#8 ·
Were you told that letting the horses outside makes them more prone to rain rot? Just curious. The mare that I bought was kept in a barn 24/7 and my vet said that exposure to sunlight would definitely help it. Maybe the difference is that I live in a drier area, less moisture??

For hoof thrush use diluted bleach. The bleach can be drying to the outer hoof wall so use a hoof conditioner on the outside.

#9 ·
No, I wasn't told that Scarlette.

We just know this damp valley our horses live in cause us a lot of fungal problems. There's always someone complaining about thrush or rain rot- unless we have a drout.
I've decided to try pasture board for my horse. The area he's going in is smaller but dryer with a run in shed. I hope it works out alright. I never put him in pasture board before.I'm not doing it because of the rain rot, it's because I always wanted to try him pasture board- I think it's healthier plus as a extra bonus it's 50$ a month cheaper.

BTW- the much Itch is really working great.

G
#10 ·
A little off topic, but I've always found my horses did better when on pasture as opposed to stalls. They are easier to work with, and aquire less stress habits - seems like they're in a better state of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.