Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - Big Decision! I've really been thinking...
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Jodi

Awww hon, I know you really miss Daphne! And I bet Dante does too. They were together for a few years, right?

I think getting another bird would be a good idea. You know how to take care of birds, money is not an issue, you have the heart/desire & you know what is required. You know they give so much back to you!!

Now, what kind of bird? Hmmm, you know what I'm going to vote for...LOL A big bird - Macaw! I wouldn't say a too just because you have to be so careful having a too & macaw near each other because of the too dust. Those darn macaws have such sensitive respitory systems - of course it can be done, it just can be such a pain!

And there's nothing cuter than a baby macaw. Remember the one I told you about in my email? Omg, I haven't stopped thinking about her!! (She's only $1400 if you want to come to NC - $1100 if you finish hand feeding!! - what a lover she is....she's being hand raised with lots of love)

But, on the con side, a macaw will need tons of attention, like a too. They need the daily interaction, etc. I know you know all this. But they are a very needy breed. Unless you are going to get a pair - then they will bond to each other - require less attention but then handleing them is harder. Yanno?

In the future I have every intention of getting another bird. Just not yet. Toby's still so young. I have to make sure I can get him properly socialized, etc before I go to work on another one. And it will be another big bird. The love and affection you get back from them is unbelievable. Even when I was doing research on breeds I read all about how loving they are but I didn't fully realize it until I had Toby. He actually needs us, craves to be with us, loves us, etc. Yanno? It's the neatest thing.

If you did choose a macaw, there are lots of choices!! Toby has the cuddliness of a GW (biggest lovers! but a handful) and the playfullness of a B&G. And the beauty of both! It all depends on what you are looking for in a bird.

Of course, there are low maintance birds....but it sounds like you would rather have a big bird.

Maybe you should write out a pros/cons list and then decide from there if you still want one. If you do, then you get to decide which one! LOL Best of luck! (And you should post this at LandofToos!!)

Uh oh, I think I babbled again! :beam:

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome