Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Who here has monitors?

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Ravnos 
#1 ·
Just seeing who will be my monitor buddies when i get my red ackies :) I am so excitied! Also, what substrate do you keep your monitors on?

I just hope i'm not going to be a lonely monitor girl :) I need buddies. :hugg2:

Share pictures please, and introduce yourselves :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a savannah (Trinitron) and a blackthroat (Stench). I often have niles come through in rescue.

I need to get new pics... Trini has grown quite a bit, and Stench has healed up some - he was a neglected rescue that was rather skinny and in pretty rough shape when I got him and took the pics.

Rav

Reactions: Dena
#4 ·
Raiquee, welcome to the Reptile forum of Paw-Talk. I look forward to meeting your reptilian babies. Check out this thread about substrates: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10489&highlight=substrates

Rav, I never knew you had monitors.

I am a former monitor owner. My husband and I owned a Savannah monitor. We gave her to a new owner while we were in school. We just couldn't give her the attention she needed. She went to a good home, but I miss her.

#5 ·
Thanks for showing pics :) Rav your monitors are gorgeous!

I bought my monitor today, a black ridgeneck monitor. He's totally hand tame which is why i bought him over the ackie. He's coming home this friday, i will post pics asap :)

Lizgirl thanks for the welcome! I also have a leaf chameleon, tiger salamander and hermies, if you couldn't tell by my sig.

#8 ·
I go to pick her up tomorrow! Her name is Asia, because thats where Black Roughneck's originated. Plus its kinda a both male and female name (leaning more towards female i know) so we thought it fit.

I got a 40 breeder from my manager for free, so she will be fine in that for awhile (shes just a bit over 2 feet) and i can't wait to get her home. I will be putting her on eco earth, however i am feeding her outside of her cage so she does not become cage aggressive. Nor eat the substrate :)

She is absolutly gorgeous and i will definatly be taking pictures when she is home.

Rav, do you get those neat little harnesses for your monitors? I've seen them, and figure eh why not? I don't think i'd be walking her on such a thing however. Just as backup when i take her out and about with me.

Ratty, it is kinda odd for a nile to be a sweetheart, but not impossible! :) I know every monitor is different. However i do admit, niles are what sparked my love for monitors in the first place :)

#9 ·
Okay, being the boosting monitor mama i am, here is my precious baby girl (until they tell me otherwise), Asia :)

Forgive me if the pictures do not work, first time here ;)

Attachments

#12 ·
Got a question for you guys...

Right now she is getting fed every other day, she will get fed crickets two feeding days, then mice, then crickets for two days then mice etc..

Well i was giving Asia her frozen hoppers and what i do is i set them on her log to eat so she doesn't socialize my hand as food. She goes and finds them within minutes.

My question? With both her crickets and mice, should i feed until she shows no interest in eating anymore, or should i call it quits when i think? She gobbled down two hoppers and was exploring her log for more. Also when i fed her a dozen large crickets she inhaled them, but i think she could have eaten more. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :)

#13 · (Edited)
Monitors are known for gorging themselves, eating as much as they can in a sitting because in the wild they are never guaranteed when their next meal is going to come along. Unfortunately, in captivity this often leads to owners overfeeding them, thinking they are still hungry. Keeping her on a steady diet and making sure she gets exercise is preferrable to feeding until she won't eat anymore. :)

I've never used a harness on mine, they don't normally go for walks or anything. Around the house they wander around on their own a few times a week to get exercise. When I take them into public (for education programs or whatever), I usually bring a rubbermaid tub and just carry them, and put them in the tub when they get rowdy.

Rav

#14 ·
Just recalled this thread, thought I'd add a new picture of Viq my timor monitor. They are a very cool species, they rarely get past 2' in length, but still have the attitude of a monitor. :)

Rav

#16 ·
I'm pretty sure he's male... and he's not bitten me yet, but he's startled easily and is -very- fast. He'll come flying out of his cage and be across the room before I can even react if I'm not careful. :)

Rav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.