Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Vegetarian kitty?

Tags
cat food
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  elfomatic 
#1 ·
It seems like my kitty Oliver constantly craves plant foods. When I make my rabbit's veggie breakfasts in the morning, Oliver has his nose in everything. He always tries to eat parsley, cilantro, lettuce, and anything green. He never seems really satisfied with these greens though and spits most of them out. Then he goes to my pothos plant and starts knawing on that (the poor plant looks pathetic). Is Oliver missing something in his diet? I feed high quality catfood that is all natural. I've tried giving him some cat grass and he was interested but didn't eat too much of it. I know that there are vegan catfoods out there. Should I give them a try, or is Oliver just being silly?

Steph

P.S. Oliver came from outside-he was a stray, so I was thinking that maybe he used to eat a lot of grass and misses that or something now that he's strictly indoors.

#2 ·
I have never had a cat that craved fresh veggies! Hrrm...

You could try to supplement his diet with some vegan cat food on occasion - to satisfy his veggie cravings... I can't see how it would hurt. Have you tried to grow fresh cat-nip? My sister lives in Florida and grows a huge pot full - her cats go bonkers over it and love to gnaw on it and eat it - she also grows them Kitty Grass...

I know my one outside cat (Abby the Lawn Tiger) eats grass sometimes (because she so generously donates it to the floor when she comes inside :rolleyes: ) - other than that - I am not sure what to tell you.... hrrm...

Do you guys out there have any comments or suggestions?

#3 ·
Thanks Linda. I haven't tried catnip yet so I'll get some and see what happens. I have to do something because he is sooooo obsessed. Every time I open the fridge he starts knawing on whatever leafy greens I have in there. He doesn't really eat them though. I think I'll order some vegan catfood and give that a try too. He'll probably end up hating it though LOL.

#4 ·
Though my cat isn't eating the plants...I got a chuckle when I saw the post title because my cat "doesn't like meat". She wont take chicken, beef, pork, or most fish from us. She does have a fetish for crab meat though. It's just weird lol

I'd be careful switching the kitty to a veggie diet. As long as she is eating "normal cat food" then she's ok with the meat and though I know there are veggie diets that can work out just fine I can't help but to accept the fact that these animals evolved eating meat and the proteins etc from the meat are vital to their health.

She might just like the plant foods as well :) If it is a diet issue I wonder if mixing some veggie food in with her normal food would satisfy her...Otherwise I would assume it has something more to do with her need to chew on leafy goods than anything else (I have a dog that can't resist chewing on a plant)

#5 ·
Deb,

I thought I'd try feeding veggie food along with the regular food, just to give him another option. If that along with the catnip doesn't work, I guess I'll just let him grab things out of the fridge, even though he just usually chews on things, spits them out and makes a mess!

#6 ·
My cat, Moonpie, adores lettuce.

The other day I gave my Chihuahua, Ethel, the leftovers of a hamburger and she ate everything but the tomatos (they were licked clean, BTW). Moonpie came along a few minutes later and sucked up the tomato slices like they were the best thing in the world! :lol:

I know a lot of places offer cat grass -- you can grow it yourself for them to eat. I have yet to try it myself, though. :winky:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.