Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Deja 
#1 ·
Can someone talk some sense into me?

The last few days, I have been feeling the nurturing instinct kicking in. I am desperate for a puppy. I keep arguing that I could have it potty trained before the baby came, or mostly housebroken at least. I would be able to give the puppy for one one one training time then I would be next spring with a newborn. That come next Spring it might be harder with the baby and a puppy. I argue that I have already done so much researching on how to crate train, teach them, etc and I have an awesome support group to help me. Am I crazy? I was actually in tears today begging for a puppy. I feel like a 7 year old. Ray keeps trying to be reasonable and point out other logistics but it is falling on deaf ears. I am not an impulse buyer or anything. You all know how long I have wanted a dog and the research I have done. Ugh I am going crazy. I am even arguing that my birthday is coming up. I am shameless and desperate at this point. Support me or don't support me, I just want some views other then my pregnant brain's!

#2 ·
I can't say that getting a puppy is wrong at all but I can assure you that you will be pressed for time when the baby gets here. You will be totally in love with the baby and your time will most likely be spend oggling and adoring Baby Bean.
Lots of people end up giving up puppies when they have new babies.

That is all the sense I can give you but I know the feeling well and it is hard to talk yourself out of.

Reactions: capnsweets
#3 ·
I've had young dogs with babies and toddlers and I swore (held to it too!) that I'd NEVER do it again!!!!!!!

Diapers plus young dogs failed my household everytime. The dogs just couldn't resist the smell of a dirty diaper and it never failed that I'd be picking up pieces of dirty diapers throughout my home.

Young dogs also LOVE BABY TOYS. Who is the teething ring REALLY FOR I'd find myself often asking.

The baby is going to be crawling along right along with the puppy and the puppy will be big enough to create havoc while young enough not to care.

It was just plain complicated for me with a 2 year old a 1 year old a new born and a 9 month old puppy....ugh. In the end I ended up rehoming the pup because I just couldn't keep up with it all. The new child is a handful...a puppy just made it that much harder.

With that said....

I did NOT go very long without a dog :)

I love dogs and simply can't imagine life without one lol. Oh I tried...I really did but it wasn't happening.

I went to the local animal shelter and picked out a 2.5 year old dog. Young enough to be a TRUE JOY but also trained enough to make life manageable.

Puppies turn into dogs really really really fast. So unless you're just dead set on wanting to go through the potty training and chewing (read: chewing up baby's brand new things which I'm sure you'll have around even before baby lol) and all of the other things that go with having a puppy...I would suggest considering a young, but adult, dog.

You would then be giving a wonderful dog a home which s/he so desperately needs while also avoiding much of the headaches that those cute lil ankle nippers come with.

I also may be biased. I'm not sure what kind of dog you are looking for. I've always had big dogs so my issues may have been worse for that reason. If you are considering a little dog then maybe a puppy wouldn't be quite as traumatic :)

#4 ·
My sister got a big urge to nuture a "baby" just after she got married and not knowing when they would get pregnant, she brought a puppy home. Two months later she found out she was pregnant. She had every intention on spending her pregnancy training the puppy, etc., well didn't happen like they planned and once the baby came she found the dog more of an inconveince and regretted her decision to get the puppy. They struggled through and still have their beagle, but she's not close to being top on the list like she was before the baby came. My sister breast fed her baby and she was completely unprepared for how much time and energy she would need for it. Shelby (the beagle) has turned out to be a wonderful addition to their family, but my sister has said if she could do it all over again, she would not have gotten the puppy.

Have you thought about volunteering at a shelter or rescue and just spending time cuddling, playing with and training those dogs to satisfy the urge you're having? Or maybe walk a dog for a neighbor or two?

I wish you the best with your decision! I know it's not easy.

#6 ·
First of all... I have to say that if you decide to get a puppy I know you can do it Nicole. You have a forum full of very supportive friends to get you through.

I got a puppy about 4 months before my son was born. Yes it was tough, but I found a way to work it out. That puppy became my son's best friend and protector. When he passed on it was incredibly difficult for everyone. When Autumn was born we had older dogs, but they still wanted their share of attention. It was a bit easier though.

Having a puppy is always a lot of work and dedication as I know you know. Just in a few months you'll have a beautiful baby to add to the family. If you are sure you can give both babies the needed attention I say go for it.

Sadly, volunteering at a shelter is not an answer I would recommend though. Just because most volunteers get the "grunt" work and that could include things that could be harmful to baby like litter box duty.

Whatever you decide you have our unconditional support. BIG HUGS

#8 ·
Well, everyone else has made some great comments so far so I'm just going to offer you a big hug. I know it must be difficult.

Does it have to be a puppy? I mean, it is always nice to start from scratch but what about an older, housetrained dog? You can mother them, too! Maybe even something that doesn't require quite as much "work" ... like a Bassett Hound or something. Or what about a smaller dog? Chihuahua poop is a lot easier to deal with than Labrador poop, let me tell you. :) No dog should be written off as easy to care for but there are degrees of difficulty with the different breeds.

Just some ideas. I would put most stock in the advice of people who have dealt with puppies and babies before though. :)

#9 ·
Everyone has made some great points Nicole! I agree that it would be extremely difficult to have a baby and a puppy, but in saying that the day we moved into this house I went and rescued a puppy (Nacho) and we didn't have proper fencing or anything.....he was an inside dog while we were at work for the first week but I just had to have him! I simply can not live without a dog!! I've never had a puppy puppy, Nacho was the youngfest dog I ever got but I tell you, even though Biscuit is three she has filled our lives with sooo much joy and while she isn't perfectly tained she's over the chewing stages and the toilet training and she's quieter for the simple fact that she is older. I'm not saying you would have to go for one that old but even a dog that is 18 months old will be better! You'd also have more chance (in my opinon) of having the dog trained before baby came along because they just seem to be smarter and they really focus on what you are teaching them most of the time! :hug: to you girl, I know exactly what you are going through!!! I cried when I wanted to keep Molly, the rabbit, and my heart ached for a dog for the 15 months we were renting and I couldn't have one! I know exactly how you feel!

#10 ·
Ok, first off, I'm going through a similar thing right now. I WANT A PUPPY REALLY BAD! I feel your pain!

I know you would be able to have the puppy house broken before the baby comes, but you have to realize that your puppy will still be a baby when Bean gets here. Bean will be the center of attention and the puppy might get jealous. I think it might be easier on you and easier on a puppy if Bean came first, then get the puppy. That way puppy would not feel like Bean took over. :hugg2:

I truly do sympathize with you. My puppy cravings are getting so ridiculous that I'm thinking of buying my own house just so I can get a puppy! How crazy is that?!

#11 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't kow what has gotten into me. I don't know what to expect when get the baby, and so I am starting to think we better wait. Our lives are going to be changing so much in the next few months, I need to see how I react to being a Mom. I would hate to bring the dog in and not give it the attention it wants or needs because of the baby. I think today I just wanted something tiny to take care of. Ray offered me a new hamster. He tries. :shrug: I am just going to wait. I felt so hormonal this morning, I cried from like noon until I fell asleep at 3:30, which I know is insane. I cannot be making rash decisions right now. Thanks for your advice guys. I love being able to be insane around you and bounce ideas off of you, and the great advice you all give. :hug: I'd be lost with out you.

#13 ·
I know it's hard, but I also suggest you wait...babies and puppies are a lot alike as far as time consuption...I got a puppy when pregnant with Zachary and it was great, but once Zach was born, the demands both puppy and baby made were just amazing! Plus the puppy got jealous of the baby and started eating the baby clothes...he was really good with the baby however, but it was really hard! At this point, I would wait until the baby can at least walk before getting a pup...it's not easy trying to leash train while pushing a stroller, especially if you have a meduim to large breed pup, and they need to be walked. I no longer have that dog...I let my kid's father keep him when I left him...I just couldn't handle such a demanding dog when my kids were so young by myself. I know the dog is doing well and is happy, so I kinda lucked out...I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that his life ended up bad because I HAD to have a puppy when I was pregnant.

#15 ·
Girl, you're pregnant - crying is NORMAL! So are all the things that are normally not normal! HA!! Don't worry, very soon, sooner than it seems, your life will be turned upside-down by the most awesome rollercoaster ride! You'll be a great mom, and when the baby is 2 or so you can get him/her a puppy! :hug:

#17 ·
:hugg2: Nicole - gads I do know how you feel (even though I am late as usual responding)
I just had to share when I read your post. I had a puppy and a newborn ONCE. I am so with Christi on this - don't do it! :D

I know you are a more organized and "together" person than I am - and it may be something you can handle - but I couldn't!

I failed miserably. My baby had to come first. I had to give the dog away to someone I knew had the time to train, love and bond with. I didn't have the time, energy or disposition to deal with both at the same time.

The moment they place your precious Bean in your arms you will fall so profoundly and so deeply in love with that baby - there will never be a feeling to rival it in your life. The urge for a puppy will pass - I promise!

You are nesting my friend :) Everything you are feeling - and will continue to feel may be like riding a roller coaster right now... :hugg2: Feelings can be so strong and vivid and deep when you are pregnant, sometimes disproportionate to the moment... :hugg2:

You will have a puppy - you will! And, it will be fun, frustrating, consuming, tiring - but really rewarding ... much like having a baby.... that you can put in a crate and go grocery shopping without! :D (sorry I couldn't resist, you can punch me now Pokemon)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.