Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

My doves will be here TOMORROW!!

Tags
lay eggs
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  capnsweets 
#1 ·
Yay! I'm excited, my manager told me today, that my white ringnecks will be in tomorrow, he got them transfered here from another store for me, since my last pair that came in, were sold. The manager in that department had been on vacation, and didn't know the birds that were being held were for me, she thought they were to go on the sales floor , and they got sold to a customer. I was devistated, as we've been waiting for two months for the doves to come in. They'll be in the quarentine until friday. Then I get to take them home !!! They put them in the quarentine to make sure they're healthy, and that they aren't stressed too badly.

I'm pretty geared up, I grew up with birds, buggies, a nanday conure, and a cockatiel. It's been so quiet...as I'm sure you could all imagine, 21 years with birds....especially a conure, and then nothing.....absolute quiet....sometimes, my ears start ringing! *laughs*
My BF doesn't like birds very much, because they are noisy...but he likes the coo sounds that doves make....so we made a comprimise.
I've done quite a bit of studying on the ringnecks, so I can be sure to take proper care of them.
There is one thing I have been unable to find though...and maybe you could help me out, is there a way, short of seperating them, or making them uncomfortable, to prevent them from having fertile eggs? If they did lay eggs, I would be unable to take them away (i can't kill anything) I read that they can lay, up to 5 times per year, and I don't know what I'd do with that many babies!

See less See more
#4 ·
RSbunny said:
aww exotica it sucks when you are desperately waiting on a new pet and they don't come when you expect. Do you have names picked for them?
no i've been trying to find some nice hebrew names for them... or something from greek mythology (although that tends to be over-done)

I'm so irritated...just sitting here staring at this empty cage annoys me... I'm SOOO ready to get my babies!

#5 ·
:lol: I know the feeling!!!! Once I'd decided I was ready for another dog after Nacho I wanted one right there and then! I found a Staffy Rescue two hours from me, rang them and they had Biscuit there. I didn't have proper fencing for another week. Well we went down to see her on the Saturday and of course we bought her home!!! :lol: That's my last two dogs I've gotten without proper fencing being 100% ready!!! but Biscuit is such an escape artist she can only go outside when we are home anyway!
You'll have to post pics when you get them! good luck with the name searching!

#6 ·
thanks... I so totally know .. you get caught up in the moment. . . The first pair of doves I was to take, were young, skinny, and nervous, but I wanted to rush them home and give them attention immediatly... one, the male, even had a broken toe...poor baby.

The cage is beautiful, and the doves will look great in there.. I'm just so hyped up...can't wait 'til Friday....

#9 ·
THEY'RE HERE!!!!!

I have my beautiful Dove pair now. They haven't been handled much, you can tell, but I'm going to work with them every day. The larger one, who I suspect of being male, is a bit friendlier. The small one is really shy.
I've learned how to mimic their coos.. and have gotten some pretty humorous responses. I don't know dove language very well LOL, but I HAD to have said something interesting this morning, because they both started running around in the cage, and then they tried to mate.
From what I understand this is odd that they have made themselves at home so quickly. Within the first 10 minutes of being home, they started eating and drinking. When keeping parakeets, I never noticed them eat or drink on the first day in their new home.
The pair are keeping me entertained. They had a seed throwing fight with eachother, and then some sort of battle which looked like wing boxing.
Afterwords, they were sleeping together on the little high perch in their cage.

They are so very sweet and I'm falling in love with them already :D

#11 ·
I can't wait to get pics up and going! They are great birds. We're working with them on the handling...the large one (male) tends to come out first, and the small one (female?) won't come out until he does.
I have never kept birds in pairs, it's pretty entertaining to watch the mating process... it's also pretty funny to watch the little one smack the big one around... (big one and little one, we still haven't decided on names yet... I reall wish they'd just tell me what they prefer to be called!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.