Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Nursing question

Tags
male cat
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RareBreedExotic 
#1 ·
Hi everybody I'm Laura and we have two 12 week old female kittens from the same litter. They were both spayed when they were 10 weeks old and now Flop has started trying to nurse from Flip. Is this normal? I've never had two kittens at once before so I'm finding it on the odd side. When I see her doing it I distract her with one of their toys so she'll stop. I would love to get your opinions about this.
Thanks
Laura

#2 ·
It's been my experience with young kittens that some do continue to suckle - they'll find the corner of a blanket, soft toy, someone's earlobe or neck... or in your case a litter-mate. It's a self-pacifying behavior. I wouldn't worry too much about it at all.

Are they eating well? Are they active and playing? Were they taken from their mother before they were fully weaned?

If they were taken from their mother before they were fully weaned it might explain the behavior even further.

I have 2 full grown cats (different ages, totally different litters - they aren't related at all) - I rescued both when each was very young. They both still "suckle" - and they drool when they "knead" on anyone.

If the other kitten was bothered, the "suckling" kitten would be swatted away and the other kitten would get up and not let it continue. I'd let them pacify themselves ...

Just my thoughts :) Good Luck.

#6 ·
if the suckling bothers you, as i know that it can for some people, maybe you could introduce a bottle for your kitty? my lucy wanted to suckle for the first four months of life, but we couldn't let her keep wearing out her mom. We gave her a bottle twice a day until 6 months old and she doesn't suckle now. our vet said that it's better to give them the bottle now than have a cat who wants to suckle as an adult. suckling brings comfort and security to a kitten, and not allowing your kitty to suckle could cause insecurities in the kitty. however, allowing the kitty to nurse from a bottle will help the kitty to build confidence and independence which wil eliminate the need for adult suckling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.