Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Housebreaking a Siberian

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kittygurl823 
#1 ·
I just got a new puppy :D .. welly, shes 5 months old and i just got her last week.. well, the breeder i got her form kepty her outside with another dog, and i dont know how much she saw the inside of the house... now, im trying to house break her all over again.... we were outside a couple days ago for 15 minutes and all she did was lay there... the minute we got back in the house, she peed in the hallway :mad2: .. she always goes in the same hallway, or down on the landing by the back door... any advice how on to fix this? since shes older (well older than the average "new puppy" of 6 weeks) , i know i need to fix this quick

#2 ·
I can't offer any advice but I do wish you luck! We had one a while back that we got at 8 weeks old and tried to housebreak...we would walk Rico for literally HOURS and nothing but the second we walked in the door, he was peeing and walking at the same time! We visited the vet several times to be sure it wasn't a medical condition because he also refused to be crate trained...he would poop in the crate and then roll in it!! He got a bath EVERY single day and sometimes 2-3 times a day! We ended up having to give him up :( But we did find him a really good home on a horse ranch where he could spend most of his time outside. We've seen him a few times since and he's doing really well as an outside dog. He even has a heated and air conditioned dog house and LOTS of land to run on. He just wasn't ment to be inside. Don't let this discourage you though...this was ONE dog! I know lots of Husky owners that have beat that problem, so all I can say is Good Luck and I hope it works out.

#3 ·
If you catch her in the act take her by the collar and firmly say NO! and then immediately take her outside. Treat her like a young puppy....if she eats, take her outside, if she drinks some water take her outside, if she is just waking up, take her outside, if she sneezes take her outside. Stay out until she actually goes potty and then lavishly praise her. She should catch on quickly.

I have a new puppy also and it seems like we are spending most of our time outside. I will stay outside with her until she actually does her business and then I make a huge fuss over her. So far, so good!

I also had a dog like Mandie's. I did everything with that dog that I just stated above and it didn't work. That dog would also poop in her crate, every day without fail. After about a year I got really fed up and gave her to an elderly lady who didn't care if the dog crapped in her house. :shrug:

#5 ·
Good advice, guys!

Wow, I hope things get better, Juliet. :hug3:

Yes, Scarlette is right, if she is peeing in the same place alot of the time, most likely the smell is still there. Simple Solution and Nature's Miracle work great to get out the smells, so they won't go back to the same spot! :thumbsup: Also,vinegar and water is supposed to work great, too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.