Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

There's something really wrong with my betta

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Millimi 
#1 ·
About a week ago my betta showed signs of fin rot. I put medicine in his aquarium, and now his fins have more or less stopped receding. Today, when I went to feed him, he barely ate anything. He also didn't eat anything last night. :( On one side, one of his scales looks like it has a bubble underneath. It's really weird, kinda like a blister. He also has four scratches, two on each side of his face. They couldn't have been caused by anything in the tank because the ones on each side are all in the same place. He also keeps sticking the black fold of skin under his gills out like he can't breathe. But it's not like flaring, it's just plain scary. I'm really really worried, does anyone know what's happening to my poor Music? :sigh:

#2 ·
The blister looking thing could be an ulcer. They are also cause by bacterial infection. The scratches may be red streaks, which is also an infection. You may want to switch meds and see what happens. These things aren't always curable, but you are doing everything that you can. :hug:

#3 ·
Thanks, I have bought new medicine, and I'm changing the water today anyways. Also, Bettatalk recommended a pinch of aquarium salt, should I put that in too?
I really hope he doesn't die, it's so unfair that he's so sick. I wish I could complain to the pet store about this! :mad2:

#5 ·
I know they can get tumors and ulcers. They can get a lot of nasty diseases. Its usually caused by poor water quality and diet and like you said, your betta wasn't being cared for properly. :( I'm not sure about the salt. I've heard that it helps and I've heard that it doesn't. It probably woudn't hurt to give it a try.

#7 ·
Aquariuam or sea salt (not table or iodized salt) can help. It's supposed to sooth and calm, plus prevent fungal problems. It's a great preventative and can really help when a fish is sick. I have never used it with medicines when my Betta was that sick, though, so I don't know if it will help. I do know it won't harm him, so I would say give it a go.

Reactions: Millimi
#9 ·
Thanks guys! :D

Now he has black stuff around his front fins that don't move. I think they're called the ventral fins? This fin rot is never going to go away! He's really happy though, he's flaring almost every minute, and he's built a huge bubble nest an inch high!

#13 ·
:lol: You mean your Betta doesn't show off in slow motion for the camera? I thought all Bettas were as vain and photo-hungry as mine!

Glad to hear he's doing so much better. Yay! :elephant:

#17 ·
Betta help

What kind of medication did you put into your tank? Your tank needs to be at least 2.5 gallons, and if you are going to use meds, there must be some sort of filtration or aeration system, otherwise your betta could suffocate. The safest bacterial remedy is MelaFx- at PetsMart- and follow the directions exactly. Also, feed your betta a medicated fish food to help his immune system. If you have plastic plants in your setup- take them out. They are too abrasive for your fish, and so those red streaks could be from the betta rubbing his face against the plants. Plastic plants remove the slime coat and creat abraisons on the fish, leading to bacterial infections. Switch to silk or live plants. Test your water and make sure that he has the best water quality possible. You can call any PetsMart, ask for the specialty dept manager, and that person can tell you more about what could be wrong with your betta.
Good Luck,
Georgette Dragon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.