Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Padfoot 
#1 ·
Hi!

I was wondering... my local pet store was selling some "Hot" rabbits... LOL I found it funny.. but I was also wondering... is there a breed called "hot", or are people at my local pet store really dumb? LOL.. That's my question. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
I really don't know how they look like.. cause they have a big cage with all the rabits and a tag that says "Hot -> $$, Rex -> $$, Dutch -> $$" and so on... so I know which ones are the Dutch... I can't figure out which ones are the Rex.. and I don't remember the other breeds sold... there are about 5-6 different breeds sold... at different prices...

#13 ·
Actually, mini rex crosses usually do not have fur ANYTHING like a mini rex does. They usually have normal fur, just like any other rabbit. However, netherland dwarfs have pretty soft fur for a normal furred rabbit (it is a bit longer and finer), so a netherland cross could certainly feel extra soft.

Edison, though, looks like a pure mini rex to me. Very typical mini rex features. Technically, if it was sold to you as a "dwarf" that is true. "Dwarf" can imply any breed that typically has the dwarfing gene. That includes netherland dwarf, dwarf hotot, mini rex, jersey wooly, american fuzzy lop, holland lop, some lines of polish, some lines of dutch, and even some lines of mini lop (which actually can weight around 6 1/2 pounds). Even if he was a netherland dwarf cross, if he inherited the dwarfing gene from the netherland parent, he could still have been a "dwarf." That is why pet shops use that term. It is extremelly broad. All it means is that the rabbit either has the dwarfing gene itself (even if it is a crossbreed) or that it is a breed that typically has the dwarfing gene.

#14 ·
Well... I doubted that she was a dwarf cause she was large! About 10 pounds after she grew up completely and about 13 when she got really fat. Also, she had fairly long ears.. I had another rabbit, a male named Blacky who was a lot smaller than her... his fur was rougher. Blacky on the other hand had shorter ears... They were bred once and out of the 3 babies they had1 had the same fur type and pattern as Edison, but his spots were darker. The other 2 had the same fur type as Blacky, one white with large creme patches and the other was light brown (the same color as Edison). Edison was bought at a fair and Blacky was given to me by my best friend when her grandpa got sick and they couldn't take care of him anymore (she lived with her grandparents)

Here is a picture of Blacky, he also died a couple of years ago of old age.

Here is a picture of Blacky, Edison and Spotty, which was the one that had same fur type and pattern as Edison, and we kept him (gave the other 2 away). That was a long time ago and Spotty also has died, but he died before his parents cause a cat attacked him 8(

I don't know anything about rabbit genetics (I know a lot about gerbil genetics, thought 8), so that's just my experience... What do you think?

#15 ·
Okay, which one is the one you think was a rex cross? The black and white, the brown and white you first pictured, or the grey and white one in the last picture? The first one pictured looks like it has a rex type coat. How long was the fur, would you say? Was it shorter than normal and kind of stood straight up?

#16 ·
Ok.. the first picture I posted in a couple of posts ago, the white and brown, that's the one I thought was a rex cross, and was sold to me at the fair as a dwarf. She had fairly long ears and was about 10-13 pounds, her fur was short, it sticked up and really soft. Blacky, the black/brown with a white spot on the nose was some type of dwarf (or had the dwarfing gene) he was about 6-7 pounds, short ears, bigger head than Edison, his fur was rough, longer (compared with Edison's ... Edison's was about 1cm long each hair, while Blacky had hairs up to 1 inch long) Spotty, the white and grey was son of Blacky and Edison and he had the same coat type than Edison(soft... short) I hope I explained it well this time.. LOL (sorry about my english, if it's confusing...)

#18 ·
Okay, sounds like your first one was an actual Rex. The short fur that stands up like that is characteristic of a rex or a mini rex, and the size would say rex. The ears look fairly short in comparison to the body in the picture, which is why I was guessing mini rex. However, 10 pounds or so is the right weight for a rex. If Blacky and Edison had a baby with rex-type fur, that means Blacky was part rex or mini rex, likely mini rex because of the size.

#19 ·
Cool! Thanks! 8) I had always wondered about my bunnies real breeds... You know, both came to me as "dwarfs" and that covers so much! LOL Edison was my first rabbit and my first pet mammal. I had had only birds before her. She was very grumpy bunny, and was always in a bad mood. LOL Blackie and Spotty were very sweet and loved been held. It's been a long time since I had them. I was about 13-14 when I got Edison and about a year after her I got Blackie. Blackie died when I was about 20, he was the one that lived the longest. My best friend had had him for about 2 years before she gave him to me, so he lived to be about 9 years. 8) Thanks so much for your help (and the help about the "hot" rabbits. LOL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.