Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - Sneakers Is Gone
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 AM
PicOlio

Steph, I read this last night and cried with you but could not think of anything worthy to say at the time, and twice again this morning. Words just never seem to be enough. Then I remember how much your words, and those words of the others on the forums, meant to me. So possibly just letting you know that our hearts and emotions are right there next to yours is enough to help a bit. Nothing we say can take away the sadness but I really want you to know that we care, understand, and feel for you.

The memorial for our own black and white cat includes the following poem. I only hope it can bring some comfort for you as well. I firmly believe in its words. Sometimes the greatest love we can show a beloved pet is to allow him to rest peacefully for they do not alwayst understand the doctors and medicines and surgeries et al.

IF IT SHOULD BE ME
(AUTHOR UNKNOWN)

If it should be that I grow weak,
And the pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won,
You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer so,
The time has come to let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
And please stay with me until the end,
I know in time that you will see,
The kindness what you have done for me,
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve, it must be you,
Who has this painful thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

There will always be a piece of your heart dedicated to Sneakers. Nothing will take that away hun, but I promise you, because I know how much you adore animals, and how much Sneakers would want you to turn this loss into something positive, that happier times will be ahead. Never try to hold back the tears, and never let the sorrow prevent you from doing positive things either. Remember the lesson of the forums this month... "Everything happens for a reason"... we may not understand those reasons...but something more powerful does

{{{{{{{{{{{ Steph }}}}}}}}}}

Sneakers is ok now and I'm sure he's purring at the rainbow bridge bragging about how unselfish his human family was for him.

gah I'm crying with you again. Times like these really test our abilities. You hang in there kid.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome