Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  PicOlio 
#1 ·
That patient is Polo - 100.4 lbs as of two days ago...

6 days ago Polo's stools were fine...

5 days ago, Polo started the morning with slightly soft stools and by that evening he was straining to go to the bathroom but little to nothing was coming out.

4 days ago he was begging to go to the bathroom A LOT but each time would just strain and strain pushing so hard you could tell it hurt..but nothing more than a "lil squirt" here or there would come out.

3 days ago he was the same so I took him to the vet. They did a rectal exam and noted his prostrate was slightly swollen but nothing that would cause any concern and he felt empty. They also did xrays and he looked more than fine. A lil bit of food was seen in his stomach etc and no obstructions or anything of concern at all was seen. He appeared perfectly normal from both the physical exam and xrays so they did some blood work which also came back normal. ($300 later.... and we've got no answers... let the games begin... ugh)

They prescribed Metoclopramide 5mg tabs 2 times per day (which they said was basically like pepto bismol and it'd just help to keep things flowing) and gave me a follow-up appt for this Saturday.

Well since he's been taking the med he now goes to the bathroom without straining but it's extremely runny... liquid. And to top it off, yesterday he vomited twice and this morning he has already vomited up his entire breakfast.

I'll be calling the vet in about 30 mins when they open to see if they have any other ideas.

Because of how (&%(*#&%# this year has been for us with pets, and because no obvious thing seems to be wrong with Polo I'm starting to become very nervous and scared.

I noted that on the page I found about the drug (linked above) one of the side effects can in fact be Diarrhoea but I believe the Diarrhoea began before the drug was actually given because right as we were leaving the vet he "exploded" and left liquid poo all over their floor. That was the first time he had gotten anything out in over a day so ummm you can imagine the mess.

As soon as I noticed the "softer stools" a week ago, he was taken off ALL treats/table scraps etc and only allowed his dog food.

His attitude is FINE btw. He's up and around, playful, happy etc. He eats and drinks normally. He just can't process the food correctly. What goes in must come out within 1/2 hour of eating it and when it comes out it's not pretty. However, there is no blood or anything. The color is normal....

I'm thinking I should stop giving him the medicine since the vomiting didn't start until after he started taking the med.... I'll talk the doc about that as well... I've held off on giving him his morning dose today until after I do though...

Also note, Chelsea is fine.... so whatever is happening with Polo does not seem to be affecting her and they are ALWAYS together...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? I can't stop thinking the worst and I know that's wrong but.... *sigh*

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont know what could be wrong with him, but i hope he gets well soon. he's a beautiful dog. we usually feed our dogs rice and chicken breast when they are poorly as they seem to tolerate it quite well. best wishes and i've got my fingers crossed for him to get well again x

#10 · (Edited)
We're baaaccckkkkkk !!! I'm actually THRILLED to be able to report that we are both home lol I have this paranoia of coming home alone these days.

Polo weighed in at 98lbs today so he lost a couple of pounds in last 48 hours or so... Temperature was still normal...

What lil'bit of a fecal we could get today tested negative for worms and coccidia etc but we got a positive this time for colostridium and his white blood cell count was elevated today. Seems like we caught it "too soon" as the results today were much more apparent than last time... weird...

Because we had a positive on colostridium we postponed the giardia and parvo tests. If we do not see an improvement in 48 hours he'll go back in for those two tests...

He got an iv hit of subQ fluids in the back (he looked like a camel for a while there with that hump lol) he also got anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea shots as well as a shot of metronidazole.

They sent him home with 500mg tablets of Metronidazole twice daily and told me to keep him off all food for 24 hours and only tiny bits of water two or three times a day for this first 24 hours.

They prescribed a no-fat can food diet called "Low Fat LF by Royal Canin". I've got three cans of that..apparently it's a very bland food that I can start him on until tomorrow and then just one teaspoon...then if he holds that down...try two in a few hours etc until he can get back to handling what he ingests.

If it all works they said we should start to see an improvement within 48 hours and hopefully cleared out in a week or so.... if not well... then we start over.

Now I'm going to worry about Chelsea and Saber and the kids too though... but I'm hoping we'll get lucky and he'll keep this to himself. I'm only letting him go to the bathroom in a fenced area of our yard that the dogs are usually not allowed to be in. I'm hoping that'll help me keep it away from chelsea... dunno...

#13 ·
I'm glad he came home and the vet has a better idea of what's going on...you know, it's sounds like the flu my son got last year! :lol: With the exception of the meds Polo was given, the food and water restriction is exactly what the doctor told us to do with Brandon!
I hope he feels better soon :hug3:

#14 ·
:lol: Everything they told you is what I'm familiar with our doctors doing, if that makes you feel any better. ;)

I'm glad to hear you seem to have the problem figured out. The next step in my mind if it doesn't solve it would be x-rays to rule out a GI foreign body, but it doesn't really fit 100% because the vomiting started so late.

I hope he starts feeling better soon!

#17 ·
Jade, he had x-rays on the first visit a couple of days ago and they looked great in all areas. Heh even got a nice shot of his hips and the dyplasia is mild (boy was I happy to see that! lol)

His spirits are still great.
He's not "acting sick" if you know what I mean, though I can tell he's a bit disturbed that his food bowls are empty... WHAT KIND OF DOGGIE OWNER ARE YOU LADY!!!! 100 LBs of PURE MUSCLE HERE, A MAN'S GOTTA EAT! :p

I squished up that canned food into a lil meatball to hide his pill in it and gave it to him about 5 minutes ago.... hopefully he'll keep that down and we can have a nice "double meatball" for breakfast in the morning ;)

I really appreciate the support you guys. It feels like since I joined this forum I've had "nothing but whining"... but you guys just keep hanging in there with me.... If my kid was sick family/friends understand the pain but with pets it seems harder to find ppl to really share with. Communities like these are worth more than could be easily described... Thank you!

#18 ·
Deb we are always here for you girl!!!

Oh by the way, I feed Milko on Royal Canin...cost me an absolute fortune but I really like the product. I was impressed when I seen their stand at a pet show and the lady there could tell me what her personal favourites are....they are safe for human consumption :) Keeping my fingers crossed that he keeps all the food down!

#21 ·
Deb, I am SO glad that Polo is doing a little bit better. I hope he continues on doing better for you!

Please keep us updated. I know how hard everything has been for you and your family, and if you ever need to vent or cry, I'm a pm away!! :hugg2:

On a side note, I feed my cats the Royal Canin diet and they do well on it. I had Harley on it before she had allergies, so I had to switch the diet.

#22 ·
Deb I'm glad to hear Polo is home with you, and I'm sorry for you both on having to go through this :hug3: I know first hand it isn't fun....As Carmen mentioned to me, it could just be a stomach bug going around, as quickly as Jessie had recovered we knew it wasn't parvo. Then poor Tabitha (she's almost 5) got sick for a few days, but she is all better now :)
I will be keeping you both in my thoughts, let us know how he is doing :)

#23 ·
I gave him half a can of food for breakfast this morning. That's the most he's eaten all at once since the day before yesterday. He gobbled it up and when he determined no more was coming he grabbed his football and dropped like a rock lol

The sleep time should help buy him time to digest it all so I'm being vewy vewy quiet right now :)

It's sad really.... My grandma came down from Michigan just after losing her dog to visit us only to find that I had just lost mine as well and then the remaining dogs had a ton of vet stuff going on. Now she's coming down again and Polo is sick. She's going to think I never do anything but treat sick animals :p

Hopefully Polo will be good to her though..this will be the first time they've met. Chelsea still seems fine thank goodness. Polo hasn't gone poo at all since yesterday morning but that's likely cuz he got totally emptied out and then fed so little.

At any rate... all seems to be progressing fine thus far :)

#25 ·
I'm so glad he's doing better for you Deb!! And to know the hip dysplasia is mild is great news!!

You don't whine!!! :lol: But you are right, it IS hard to find people who understand your love and concern for pets can be just as great as your love and concern for your children! Even at the vet's office, most of the girls find my chin, rabbit and dog stories mildly amusing and I think humor me with some of the tales...Cesea understands though, her pets ARE her children, the only children she has or ever wanted. She's the one person of everyone I've ever known that "gets" it other than you all here :hug: I love you guys!

#26 ·
Through your videos and pictures I've come to adore you pets, and they are in such a loving enviroment, it's great to see that, it helps me be less cynical about the world. I see this time and time again here at paw talk. I want to know how things are going, I think you contribute a lot to our community here, you are not whining you are sharing with us. Thank you for sharing with us, you make me smile so many days with the things you share and sometimes I cry right along with you.

I sure hope Polo is going to be ok. Give him a little hug from Auntie Jen, and here's one for you sweetie. :hug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.