Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

How to tell if she's pregnant?

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dreuxlovesme 
#1 ·
I was almost certain that my rat was pregnant this morning, but now I'm not so sure. She's she hunched up and she's on her back legs with her front feet on the ground, kind of sitting, and looking out the cage, her belly looks round and when I feel it, it feels firm and bigger but when she stretches out it's almost flat like she's no different at all. She could be five or two days pregnant, does anyone here with experience think she is or is it too soon to tell? I've read that some people don't know their rats are pregnant at all up until the day before they give birth.

#3 ·
Padfoot said:
I've never seen a pregnant rat, but I would say that 2-3 days of pregnancy is just too soon to tell. With gerbils, if the litter is big (around 8) you will be able to tell at around 15 days of pregnancy, while if the litter is small you'll only be able to notice it the last week. What makes you think your rat is pregnant? Was she bred?
I've actually been trying to get my rats to have babies together, and just last night the male passed away, and I thought that she wasn't pregnant this weekend, but when I checked her now, she seems to have a bigger belly. I've been putting them together for probably a month now.

#5 ·
Hmmm.. ahh.. your rat was the one that had pneumonia, right? I'm so sorry about your loss. 8(

As I told you, I've never bred (or owned) rats, so what I know is purely theorical, maybe someone here can help you better than me.. I think Christy breeds rats.. well.. anyway.. I'd say to count the gestation days to have an idea when she's supposed to give birth, and watch. Did you actually saw them mating? Or just are guessing cause you had them together?

#6 ·
Padfoot said:
Hmmm.. ahh.. your rat was the one that had pneumonia, right? I'm so sorry about your loss. 8(

As I told you, I've never bred (or owned) rats, so what I know is purely theorical, maybe someone here can help you better than me.. I think Christy breeds rats.. well.. anyway.. I'd say to count the gestation days to have an idea when she's supposed to give birth, and watch. Did you actually saw them mating? Or just are guessing cause you had them together?
Yes that was him. :( And thank you, it'll get better I'm sure.

I'm going to count, I think it'd be awesome if she had babies on Christmas but I don't know. I didn't see them mating, but we did put them together and I remember reading that most of the time if you put them together for periods during 10 days, she probably will be pregnant.

#9 ·
Padfoot said:
Are you keeping them all? Either way, I wish you good luck with the little girl.
No, I will want to keep two boys but if for some reason she doesn't have boys or I can't, I'll keep two or three girls in a different cage. I have a friend who wants quite a few of them because she will only have the mother and then my neice wants some as well. Other than that, I have a few more people who would be interested. I was so scared and didn't want to try and have babies because I want them all to be well taken care of, but I'm sure they will be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.