Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Is this normal?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  DirtySouthChins 
#1 ·
Okay I know it is common for chinnies to molt in the summer months as they are shedding their winter fur. However is it common for them to molt this time of year? I ask because tonight I was attempting a photo shoot with the chinnies and I noticed when I picked up Roo (**** beige) she seem to have alot of "loose" fur, well when I placed her on my bed my entire arm was covered, so I picked her back up and proceeded to look her over better, and believe it or not she has a complete bald spot on her left side near her backend. My first thought was great she has become a fur chewer, but with this being a complete bald spot it just has me a bit baffled as I personally have never seen this before. When Darren is done whatever it is he is doing, I will have him hold Roo and will attempt to get a better photo of her and that area and maybe you all can help me figure out exactly what is going on.
:scratch: I'm just a wee bit baffled
Will post photo's in the morning :) .... Thanks

#5 ·
Okay I am posting the pic...but sadly this doesn't do it justice, because her skin is actually clear and smooth, I parted it a little to give you all a better look and it appears that some of the fur got in the way and it looks like it's flaky and red but it's not!!! She is housed with other girls and they have been living together for months now.... I know we were slacking in the bath department because our shipment got lost and finally showed up so they have recently been able to get the dust baths they deserve, Darren thought maybe it could have been because they weren't receiving dust baths as they used to until recently, but I just don't know :shrug: I will keep an eye on her, but as of right now she is showing no reason for alarm other than the missing fur.

#6 ·
I've had that happen before in the exact same place, but I have a fur chewer. That being said, he has been going crazy for the last week. And the weather here has been unseasonably warm. Maybe its some spring grooming gone wild. That could be what's going on with my little guy. Honestly, I try to figure out if he's stressed more than usual, and if he's not, I figure he's just in a mood.

A little foot powder in the bath might be a good idea though. Or it you prefer to get a vets opinion.

Patti

#7 ·
cheshirechin said:
A little foot powder in the bath might be a good idea though. Or it you prefer to get a vets opinion.
Patti

Thanks Patti :) Yeah Darren tried to find some Tinactin and so far no luck the only thing he has been able to find this far is Desinex so he will look at the other base tomorrow.
We did look her over again a little while ago and it appears that she may have a little bite which would indicate she and one of the other girls got into fight.....grrr....so we will continue to watch over her and if need be seperate her from the other girls she is currently housed with.

#8 ·
When all else fails, drugstore.com has Tinactin powder. I know its a pain, but I at least they have it.

Patti

Reactions: DirtySouthChins
#10 ·
If not, let me know. It might be faster for me to track it down in Fayetteville and send it to you. They get so much APO mail traffic here that it should probably go pretty fast. (The only faster service I ever got was when I lived in Long Island.) Half a day to NYC and it was on a plane.

In the meanwhile, I used to use Micatin. It doesn't knock out everything, but it does work on some fungus.

Honestly, I can't use Tinactin, because it irritates Max's eyes. I think he has allergies of some sort or is just sensitive to particles. Poor guy. (Ironically, he's the only chin who doesn't get chewed on when Muad'dib is in the mood.)

Patti

#11 ·
Sadly there was no luck! We only have one other option and that is the main base over here but we won't be able to get over there until Saturday. Patti I will let ya know if we can find it, if not if you could send it that would be great!! and if you use an APO addie it is free shipping.......lol :lol:

#12 ·
up until you said there was a bite, I was thinking slipped fur since it wasn't red or flaky. Jetta did that the week before the last show. I took her out of her cage and she threw it! Wild let me tell you! I was upset, since she had a bald spot near her but and due to it there was a break in the fur. No good for show, but that's okay, I just put her into breeding instead ;) I would say to look at the loose fur that was on your arm...if it was like clumped in litte sections and had a root on it where attached to the skin, chances are it's fur slip (easier to see on a **** eb than on a beige) It happens but nothing to worry about. I would keep an eye on the wound though, just to make sure

#13 ·
Thanks Mandie....Well sadly I don't have the fur anymore....threw it in the trash that night...UGH next time I'll know better....We will check her over again tonight as we have been looking her over every night since it first happened.....I too thought maybe it was slipped fur but have never seen it to that extent, but now I know you've had a similar experience I feel a wee bit better :D

#14 ·
I understand...the first time fur slip happened to me, it was like a feather pillow exploded! LOL fur was everywhere! Up my arms, in my eye, up my nose, in my mouth...It was insane! I jumped on the forums freaking out! LOL When Jetta did it, it was like that too...fur everywhere even though it only came from one small area, it seemed like there was enough fur flying through the air to make a whole other chin! It was strange too, because I when I pick up most of mine, I hold the tail and scoop them up with the other hand. That way, I dont' touch the top of the fur....I still dont' know how she managed to fur slip that time, but she hasn't since and she's doing just fine

#15 ·
Mandie that is exactly what happened with me....Fur was everywhere, stuck to the sleeve on my shirt, my face, my chest, and yup even up my nose :lol: I always use the scoop method when taking them out of their cage too, so it is quite baffeling, but she is doing fine so I am guessing maybe it was because she had a squable with one of the other girls and then happend to slip her fur when I took her out :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.